1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to impose tariff on steel and aluminium, geaux Trump!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Most of the food they produce goes overseas. Did you know that?

That's why the tariffs are hitting them so hard. This has nothing to do with your food.

If you live in Texas you should thank Mexican farmers since they are the ones putting food in your mouth.

No Worries likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I eat my own cows which eat Texas grass. In a food shortage, farmers are unlikely to send food overseas. Building an excess production capacity helps us not starve if times get hard. Subsidies also drive down prices for the worlds poorest and starving.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmm... engage in a tariff-driven trade war that then requires tax-payer bailouts to the farmers... I wonder if there was some other possible solution...

adoo likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

these people like everything free. handouts. where can I get my own used trump hotel mattress?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

So you are planning on surviving on Corn, Soybeans, Rice and Wheat? The majority of what U.S. farmers produce? Good luck with that bucko. U.S. Farmers don't even farm for everyday Americans unless you want to count Soda and HFCS as a daily staple.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

I'll eat anything in a food shortage. I eat a ton of rice grown right here in the USA. You probably eat a ton of soy grown here. History proves if you let market ups and downs dictate farms, you get times of shortage.

Why not just consider the subsidy a foreign aid expense that also keeps us with reserve foods capacity?

7. REEKO_HTOWN

Because it's a shame that people here are starving and in poverty and more food leaves the U.S. than anything. We have a hunger problem in this country and people like you (I assume) would rather support farmers than starving poor Americans who need food stamps to feed their kids. You want to protect farmers from tariffs but what about people that work 2 jobs to afford rent? What about the the disabled? It's just hypocrisy.

8. Bandwagoner

Do you have a problem with the food stamp budget? 2016 we spent 70 billion on that. About 4 times what we spend on agricultural subsidies.

People are certainly hungry in the USA but not starving. Starving is what happens when our farms don't produce enough food.

9. NewRoxFan

Meanwhile... more inflationary actions from this trump administration...

10. REEKO_HTOWN

Again, not our farmers. Our farmers are producing for the Chinese and livestock market....also shipping most of it off overseas. You are subsidizing American exports.

11. Bandwagoner

Where do you think your beef and chickens come from? Most cows don't have a great life eating grass and hay

12. REEKO_HTOWN

So now I'm supposed to be thankful for the unsustainable overproduction of poultry and beef now? Dude continue with your small farm, I support the idea of self sustenance. I have a home garden and chickens in my property as well. I just don't like the idea of our resources being shipped off while people here are being mistreated and labeled as lazy when farmers don't even farm for this country and get hand outs. It's trickle down economics and it doesn't work.

13. Bandwagoner

We are the third largest exporter of beef. Please explain unsustainable over production.

I think you need to temper your frustration a bit. The EU is going on a diet and want to CUT their farm subsidy to 450 billion for the 21-27 multi financial framework. France said F that. Our farmers are the most efficient on the planet.

I agree 20 billion is a ton of money. You could double the budget of NASA. I'd rather have an insurance policy against mass starvation. Why do you hate foreigners?

14. conquistador#11

if people think that GOVERNMENT HANDOUT is going to go to the struggling farmers, I have yet another university to enroll you in. STWDU.org. 30,000 a semester.

It's bad enough that these farmers are having a difficult time finding workers to do cheap labor, but now they have to endure the trade wars.

15. Bandwagoner

that's the mexicans picking strawberries etc that some people think I will want during starvation instead of bread or rice.

16. conquistador#11

you could always eat the mexican.

17. Bandwagoner

can't eat mexican anymore. for some reason once I got passed 16 my panchos days were over.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Self Inflicted Wound by a dumbass

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Trump aggro triggering slaughterhouse in US meat exports.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meat-piles-up-as-production-grows-and-exports-slow-1532268000 (might be paywall in the future)

2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow
    Profits, prices are threatened as record amounts of red meat and poultry fill U.S. warehouses
    Growing meat stockpiles may bring down prices for meat-hungry U.S. consumers, along with restaurants and retailers. But slowing overseas sales and rising domestic stockpiles threaten profit for meat processors and prices for livestock and poultry producers. Since the end of May, prices of lean hog futures at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange have dropped 14%.

The combination of trade risk and expanding meat supplies could result in “one of the biggest corrections we’ve seen in the industry in several years,” said Christine McCracken, protein analyst at Rabobank, one of the world’s largest agricultural lenders.

20. NewRoxFan