1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Signs Order to Restrict Refugees from 7 Countries But Not Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Give me a break. You downplay it now, but each time the lower courts ruled against it it was headline news and liberals were cheering right and left and it was seen as a "devastating and embarrassing setback for Trump".

The hypocrisy of the left drives me crazy.

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

but it was for Trump and continue to be for Trump and there is no sign that it won't be for Trump over and over and over

are you Trump? not sure why you are offended then. :cool:

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Is it possible that we on the left" were celebrating the lower court decisions because we thought the Muslim, er, travel ban was wrong? Which by my answer, you can tell I still do...

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Aside from my standards on racism, I also have a minimum requirement on reading comprehension. If you are a cis white male like me, I urge you brother to read more carefully.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, the lower courts blocked a more extreme version of the ban. I'm not really sure why this is so hard to get? The SCOTUS allowed a very watered down version of it.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You should really look at their decisions and rulings, if this watered down version was the first proposed version of the ban then perhaps there wouldn't be so much 'whining' and 'crying' as you like to call it.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is no version of this that wouldn't have led to whining and crying from the left, they'd have called it a "Muslim ban" and flipped out just the same. The few exceptions made in this ruling wouldn't have stopped them from that.....and it wouldn't have stopped the lower courts from their politically motivated rulings either.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So, I'll just take it that you don't understand why the original proposal was controversial and why this watered down version isn't. Gotcha.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was controversial because the narrative was that it was a "Muslim ban", which would have been the narrative no matter what. The faux outrage was always just politics.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Clearly, if you have a mother oversea that want to visit and can't, but now can is the same thing. I'm sure that's the only example too. LOL.

11. NewRoxFan

OK, so here's the Muslim, er, "travel ban"... sorry grandma and granddad, you can't come.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/revised-us-travel-ban-effect-1.4183324

here's Reuters reporting the guidance cable sent:

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Live_US_Politics/989297085

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

meh, I guess tourists from Syria gotta hold off for 90 days. No biggie

It's very very hard for normal people to get visa to visit extended families. I have known a lot of people China getting denied visa for trying to visit extended families.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

By politically motived you mean constitutionally correct?

14. NewRoxFan

the concern... the administration attempts to extend this another 90 days... or permanently. After all... they didn't use the existing 90 days plus to evaluate and improve vetting.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So what happens when US-Russia relations break down and Russia relaunches attacks into Ukraine, creating 1+ million refugees? Does this travel ban affect any such refugees?

It sounds as though you would only correct white persons and not non-white persons.
    The order goes into effect today.

16. NewRoxFan

Correct, but wasn't the justification for the order to allow the administration the 90 days to evaluate/improve vetting processes. Couldn't they/shouldn't they have been doing that all this time the ban was being blocked and now unblocked?

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Were they pregnant?

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

well the supreme court is going to rule on it, so we will wait for that

19. NewRoxFan

The Supreme Court MAY rule on it. They likely didn't want to rule on it to begin with... and only took the case and made their ruling because they felt the lower courts exceeded their jurisdiction by blocking the court order, not because they support the intent of the order itself. I wouldn't be surprised that they choose not to take this up again, thinking that its moot anyway (the 90 days will have lapsed by then).

The Trump administration can drag this on indefinitely by requesting additional time.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nah most of them are older people too. Chinese people are considered high flight risks I think. but yeah it's hard to get visa to the US.