1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Signs Order to Restrict Refugees from 7 Countries But Not Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Jan 25, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Any chance he can temporarily restrict refugees from Spain entering Houston ... so Rubio can't come here.

Sajan, edwardc and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Obama had absolutely ZERO investments in Salafi Arabia, yet he veto the 9/11 bill and did nothing to distance the US from that part of the Middle East.

3. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

dont think that has any relevance to anyone's point.. Concern is why is he picking and choosing the countries like he is.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Obama vetoed 9/11 bill so it's clear that any/all POTUS are powerless when it comes to Saudi and I'm not sure why. It's scary when you think about who really is in charge.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It does. Politicians who had no ties to Saudi Arabia at all wouldn't do anything to piss them off. The notion of Trump, who has a large amount of money invested in Saudi Arabia, planning to do anything vs. Saudi Arabia is even more laughable.
    Combine a country with strong economic ties to Saudi Arabia and a president that's running business there and you know the next 4 years will be a bunch of ass kissing.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We all know Trump is corrupt, other than the people who voted for him because Hillary was corrupt, what is new under the sun? If you tell people "hey I am going to look out for my interest first", people would only care if you are Democrat.

DudeWah likes this.
  7. omgTHEpotential

You can't make this **** up. :eek: United States of Corruption

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Saudi isn't in charge, come on. They are a strategic ally we've made for amoral geopolitical reasons. Just because we don't do things to piss off our allies doesn't mean they're in charge of us. Saudi Arabia is probably walking on ten times as many eggshells as we do. It's not a relationship I'm very keen on, but they don't really have us by the balls or anything.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

My point is, no matter how unorthodox and vicious the Saudis may appear to be, the US is not ending its alliance with them.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

every potus is afraid of saudi, its obvious. no one has stood up to them ever. they can get away with anything. another example, saudi treats women like ****, we (including libs) do nothing, demand nothing. crude guy talk about grabbing p***y and holy **** we got ww3 levels of lib outrage. so be it conservative or liberal, they all let saudi off the hook. saudi simply held to a different standard which is really no standard.

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

TRUMP IS THE MOST PRODUCTIVE PRESIDENT WE'VE EVER HAD. SO MUCH WINNING

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

#AlternateFacts.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Most impolitic behavior on social issues in foreign countries passes without a condemnation by the US. That doesn't mean we're everyone's b****. We just don't go around playing the liberal Pharisee nearly as much as you think we do. But in the annual human rights report, we do recognize the treatment of women (along with other issues) as a human rights problem:

So we do say it, but we don't get on our high horse and say we won't buy oil from Saudi Aramco until the country becomes a Western atheist liberal democracy. We're a bit morally compromised on that score. But, Trump looks like he wants a similar model in Syria in which we'd do a deal with Assad to restore order and looking the other way while he kills or imprisons thousands of rebels.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I know this is politically popular. Terrorist - keep them out. Who wouldn't agree.

But let's look at the data. Since 911, the date that terrorist was ingrained in everyone mind, has there been any refugee coming into the US that ended up being a terrorist? AFAIK, the answer is 0, there hasn't been a single terrorist act by a refugee. It tells you that the vetting was already adequate and was working since 911.

Trump could have directed the state dept to improve vetting and no one would disagree. But this sudden (and expected) change, ban from certain Muslim countries is nothing more than to either justifying a promise that isn't based on data, and/or is an act to punish Muslim refugee without care for who they are. Either way, there is real damages to the people that most needed it. American is better than this. No compassion based on fear.

Real impact to human:

According to the filing, Hameed Khalid Darweesh was granted a special immigrant visa on January 20th, the same day as President Trump’s inauguration. He worked with the United States in Iraq in a variety of jobs — as an interpreter, engineer and contractor — over the course of roughly a decade.

Mr. Darweesh worked as an interpreter for the Army’s 101st Airborne Division in Baghdad and Mosul starting shortly after the invasion of Iraq on April 1, 2003. The filing said that he was directly targeted twice for working with the American military.

A husband and father of three, he arrived at Kennedy Airport Friday evening with his family. Mr. Darweesh’s wife and children made it through passport control and customs, but agents of Customs and Border Protection stopped and detained him.

Mr. Alshawi was supposed to be reunited with his wife, who has been living in Texas. The wife, who asked to be identified by her first initial of D. out of concern for her and her family’s safety, wiped away tears as she sat on a couch in her sister’s house early Saturday morning, in a Houston suburb.

The woman, a 32-year-old who was born in Iraq, met her husband while both were students at a Baghdad college. The couple has one child — a 7-year-old son who is in first grade. The boy was asleep in the house at 3 a.m. Eastern time Saturday, oblivious to the fact that his father was in the United States, but under detention and the possible threat of return to Iraq.

Relatives crowded the living room in their pajamas and slippers, making and receiving phone calls to and from other relatives and the refugee’s lawyers. At times, D. was so emotional she had trouble speaking about her husband’s predicament.

She pulled out her cellphone and flipped through her pictures while seated on the couch. She wanted to show a reporter a picture she took of her son’s letter to Santa Claus. In November, at a Macy’s Santa-letter display at a nearby mall, the boy wrote out his wish: “Dear Santa: Can you bring my Dad from Sweden pls.” He has not seen his father in three years.

“I’m really breaking down, because I don’t know what to do,” she said. “It’s not fair.”

She and her relatives had not told her son that his father was finally coming to Houston and that his wish to Santa was about to come true. “It was a surprise for him,” she said.

Earlier in the day on Friday, she had watched news coverage about Mr. Trump’s executive order. “My husband was already on the airplane,” she said. “He got to the airplane at 11 o’clock in Houston time.” At that point, she grew worried about what impact the order would have on her husband, but she assumed it would not take effect immediately.

D., as well as her brother and her sister, asked that their full names not be used because they were concerned that publicity about the case would lead to harassment.

At about 2:30 a.m. Eastern time Saturday, Mr. Alshawi called his wife on her cellphone. They spoke for about five minutes. D. put the call on speaker so the rest of the family gathered at the house could hear. It was the first time D. and her husband spoke since he arrived at the airport in New York at about 8:30 p.m. Eastern timeFriday, she said. He flew from Stockholm to JFK Airport, and he was supposed to then fly from New York to Houston.

“He gave his package and his passport to an airport officer, and they didn’t talk to him, they just put him in a room,” she said. “He told me that they forced him to get back to Iraq. He asked for his lawyer and to apply for an asylum case. And they told him you can’t do that, you need to go back to your country.”

She said that the authorities at the airport told him that the president’s signing of the executive order was the reason he could not proceed to Houston.

“They told him it’s the president’s decision,” she said.

D.’s brother added of the phone call with his brother-in-law, “He’s very calm but he’s, like, desperate. He said, ‘They are sending me there, they are sending me there,’ ” referring to Iraq.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So am I understanding this correctly... under the guise, I mean justification of keeping out potential terrorists, we are stopping entry of people from a list of countries, despite the fact that since (and including) 2011, not a single terrorist act inside the United States was perpetrated by anyone from that list of countries? Can someone favoring this explain it to me?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is not right.

Lar, Hakeemtheking, R0ckets03 and 2 others like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

delete

#37 B-Bob, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The administration does not use facts or informed policy. It is all about playing on people's emotions, promoting fear, and consolidating power. I base that statement purely on: Trump's campaign, Trump's appointments so far, and the administration's actions in its first days. Horrible.

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So this would have prevented zero terrorist attacks. Got it. Instead in some cases it hurts those who were victimized by a common enemy ISIS. It punishes the victims of ISIS.

No terrorist is going to go through 2-3 years of the vetting process in order to come here and commit a terrorist act when they can just come here illegally and commit an act without waiting.

It is pointless except to please people who don't bother to deal with actual facts.

20. ymc

ymc Member

So far, his executive orders were made to fulfill his campaign promises. If he starts making them for other purposes, then it can be a cause of concern.