1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump picks Colo. appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jan 31, 2017.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Ginsberg, Kennedy, Breyer --> possibly 3 more Trump nominations!

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

im waiting for u to be hit by a truck.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No need. I expect her nonpartisan self to head for New Zealand any day now.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is pretty easy calculus

Is his name Merrick Garland?

No? OK, then filibuster

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good plan, it'll just mean that the Senate will change the rules to eliminate the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees making it even easier to push though a replacement for the next SCOTUS justice that dies or retires.....is that REALLY what you want?

Obama had an opportunity to nominate a justice that conservatives would approve of, he decided instead to pass the responsibility on to the next president.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

might not be a filibuster

7. The Stig

The Stig Member

Question. How long can one filibuster for?

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

As long as you can talk, you can read dictionary, newspaper, phone book,all these have been done before i think. If you have a group of ten senators willing to do it, you can do it forever. I hope the Republicans use the nuclear option for SC nomination and when Democrats filibuster a law. I think filibuster is stupid, we elected them, let them vote. Just don't be crying in the future, I hate hypocrites.

Nook and The Stig like this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Doesn't the senate have the nuclear option so they can do it with a simple majority.

At least he is qualified which is more than some trump candidates.

Apparently Trump bought in two guys at the same time Apprentice style and took one out. I would be pissed if I was one of those guys. It would have been nice to have her a non ivy SC justice. It is nice to have some diversity.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No the only rule is allow appointments like cabinet level appointments or non judicial appointments, correct me if I am wrong.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Would be nice if you died in an accident? Or illness?

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Awesome. Just a great thing to say. You're a great person.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Always interesting to see the political spins. McConnell believes Democrats should approve since Obama's first two choices were approved. Can't mention the last one, that one republicans didn't even allow to come up for consideration.

Also, Gorsuch should be approved since its the Scalia seat. Of course, if and when Ginsburg were to retire, the candidates to place her will be similar in judicial temperament as Ginsburg. Riiiiight.

Also Democrats need to not filibuster, since republicans will then change the rules to allow a simple minority. And since Gorsuch is simply "maintaining" the balance in Scalia's seat, the Democrats should hold off filibustering for Ginsburg instead for when the republicans then try to shift the court. As if the republicans won't change the rules then instead. Riiiiight.

joshuaao and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Post all the links you like, I think it's pretty obvious that conservatives DIDN'T approve of Garland, and if they had, he'd be on the bench right now. Reagan was in a similar position as Obama and he nominated a true centrist that Democrats approved of and that's why he was confirmed. Obama could have done the same, he chose not to.

It would be like suggesting that if Democrats controlled congress and it was a Republican's last year in office that they would approve of Gorsuch because of how easily he was confirmed to the 10th circuit court in 2006, that's just not how it works.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Reagan first nominated Bork and the Senate actually had confirmation hearings before rejecting him and forcing Reagan to nominate the reasonable and unanimously confirmed Kennedy. The Republicans wouldn't even allow hearings for Garland...or any other nominee Obama would have put forth, short of Zombie Rehnquist.

Deji McGever and mdrowe00 like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, in your mind, if the Republicans held hearings before rejecting Garland, you think Obama would have come back with a true centrist justice? That would go against everything Obama stands for.

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I have no idea. They should have had hearings.

Since Trump has not nominated a true centrist justice, I guess he decided instead to pass the responsibility on to the next president.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What difference would it have made? He didn't have the votes for confirmation so it would be a waste of time. They told Obama not to waste their time with a nominee that he knew couldn't be confirmed, and he tried to do so anyway.

As to the guy Trump nominated, he nominated a conservative who has the votes to be confirmed.....Obama could have done that if he wanted to, he didn't have to nominate a centrist to get him confirmed, he could have also nominated a conservative. That would have done it.

Anyway, you might as well make your peace with Gorsuch because the Democrats don't have enough support of the people to prevent him from being confirmed and if they try to filibuster, it'll just lead to a change in Senate rules where that power will be stripped from them.