1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Crisis Finally Hits Stocks As Concerns Mount Over GOP Defections

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, May 17, 2017.

1. adoo

adoo Member

that's cool; your preferred chart also corroborates the TTM PE chart, insofar as

depicting the current PE being ~ 40% below the level in 2000, at the tail end of the Internet bubble​

#141 adoo, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Looking good.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Actually it is a good time to buy. The 260 area in the SPY/S&P 500 looks pretty solid. The market has traditionally outperformed the following 12 months after mid term elections.

4. adoo

adoo Member

there is just way to much volatility from now to the mid-term
    [​IMG]

the rising fear index, at ~ 25, still has a long way to go to reach the Feb 2018 high of ~37. the mid-term election will induce more fear driving the VIX to be closer to its previous 2018 high. i wlil dip my toes in the water ~ 3 days after the mid term election

do you mean to say

the stock market has out-performed other investment alternatives, such as fixed income / precious metals , etc. ?

since the 2008/2009 crash, the stock market has outperformed fixed income and precious metals;
    u don't even have to add the qualifier "12 mo after the mid term election"

#144 adoo, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well two things... you get significantly better returns when you are buying when volatility is above 25 and especially above 30.

[​IMG]
    And that’s the post mid term stat I was referring to.

6. adoo

adoo Member

more fear factors have surfaced,
    • the 12 mailed bombs in the US
    • the Chinese / Russians listening in to the dotard's iPhone
      • they know who Trump has been calling besides Hannity
        • China could leverage the influence of Trump supporters, such as Shelton Edelson and Steve Wynn, both have HUGE investments in the PRC, to its advantage as it relates to the trade war
    the fear index has risen to 27+; despite faster GDP growth, in the US, in Q2 and Q3, as well as impressive earnings reported by such behemoths as Amazon and Google, the market has tanked again today.

7. adoo

adoo Member

the DOW was up 250 in the AM; then the rumor that dotard's team is planning tariffs on remaining $257 billion in Chinese goods. the DOW reversed 600 point, finishing ~ minus 350 for the day.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Trump is killing the stock market with these tariffs, along with rising interest rates. At least the former he could control. Shooting himself in the foot.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wonder if it will affect the midterm elections? I would guess no, as most Trump voters don't own any stock. In fact, relatively few Americans (as a %) have any direct stock holdings, but a few oldsters may be watching their retirement funds shrink.

IVFL likes this.
  10. IVFL

IVFL Member

I have a limited amount of stock but I have been watching the stock market knowing that so many things are tied to it. I think most people assume that the strength of the economy is tied to the stock market and if it is going down the perception of the economy will go down as well. That is where it will hurt in the midterms. Then again people might be slow to realize the stock market is down and it will have a negligible effect.

What I am really trying to say is that I know nothing about how people will vote and the stock market concerns me right now. :)

B-Bob likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Edit wrong thread lol

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I am nearly 100% cash. Then again, if I zig, others should zag. Lol

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Interesg rates still aren't back to normal from the 08 crash. They have nowhere to go but up

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I understand that. The problem is that the Feds almost always over do it one way or the other, causing too much liquidity or not enough. To achieve proper equilibrium must be something very difficult to accomplish because those guys at the Federal Reserve are really smart people and always overshoot nonetheless.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Has nothing to do with trump's tariff wars, Saudi Arabia, bombs sent, the Pittsburgh synagogue mass shooting...

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is right the market will likely go down, but it isn't going to matter who is in charge. It looks like Democrats will take the house so he will blame them.