1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trump campaign firm: illegally harvested Facebook info for trump campaign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe they should've spoken up after or during the 08/12 elections. That they didn't means they're just as complicit in fostering this grey area for FB.

Big reason why tech stocks are taking a bath is because "how Cambridge used the data" is textbook across the board.... This includes Google, free and paid dating services, social media like Twitter and Pinterest, etc... Google's wiggle room is very tenuous because of their ubiquity across platforms and their privacy stances could easily change with the flip of a switch.

If the product is free, then you're the product.

I usually don't agree with whiny cop out defensiveness from the right. In this case, the outage should fuel legislation but we're not seeing any actionable push atm because how good connected silly valley is.

#101 Invisible Fan, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    JeffB likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Oh no doubt. I would absolutely have a yetti tumbler of cocktail in me, and another with me.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  3. TheresTheDagger

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

JeffB likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is probably true for most user agreement out there. They all have an incentive to protect their $$$

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. adoo

adoo Member

in 2016, the Ruskies influenced how some Americans vote, now they're gonna influence how some Americans date

Facebook launches dating features to meet non-friends​

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"We're back!"

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Parscale eats this whiny interviewer's lunch

#110 Commodore, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've already unleashed the dragon and there is no going back. We've created a corporatocracy long ago enabling the likes of Pharma, Banking, Oil, and other industries to dominate gov't but looked the other way. Now Republicans are finally realizing the dangers of companies integrating so far that it becomes against the common good?

If you go after FB you have to go after them all. Not just tech but all mega corporations because that's the problem. I-banks and commercial banks becoming the same. Lobbying to create instruments that are unregulatable until they destabilize the world economy in an attempt to make a few rich people get richer. Oil companies are willing to sack the entire world in order to protect their profits. Pharma is happy to charge $1.2 million dollars for a single dose of medicine to save babies lives that most Big insurance will refuse to cover. I kid you not. Those babies get to die.

And now all of a sudden people want to make the nerd-prick who built an empire by writing code that lets people share content with their friends the poster boy of corporate maleficence? People gave facebook all that data. That's why I always marked my content as private and never shared anything personally incriminating in any shape or form on these platforms.

#112 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

I still think privacy should be respected and that people should have a choice to get paid for their data or pay to protect it.

It's literally one secret warrant away from a surveillance state given the backdoors of finance, telecoms, and tech. Obscuring this with technobabble about metadata or putting the genie back into the bottle belays the power normal people should rightfully assert

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

User definitely should have the power to control their data. FB is as creepy as it get...
    10 years ago. Amazing how big it has gotten and people and regulators are finally catching up. Now, watch them enable privacy and protection in ways to continue to use your data, in even more intrusive ways to make money.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

People opt into these services. Why do you think FB is free? You pay for FB by giving advertisers the ability to target you based on the data you have shared. Nothing is ever free and that's what consumers have to begin to start to understand.

16. Invisible Fan

If it were only as simple as opting in and opting out.

Your responses haven't compelled me to reject the notion that Congress should pass regulation concerning user privacy and freedoms.

People think they opt in for, at most, targeted ads. If it were only that innocent.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Is Cambridge Analytica a Russian firm?

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You mean more regulation? From a body that can't seem to regulate banks from doing stupid things? Good luck with that.

So what are the uses of user data that you fear so much? FB can not provide Personally identifiable information to third parties. The real risk is hackers but by now, they have gotten pretty much ever American's info.

19. Invisible Fan

Off the top of my head...public and private doxing, predictive behavior algorithms, non-user data/face tracking. While one could argue and split hairs about FB in isolation, these data brokers do not act in isolation, rather "the product" is chopped and bundled to the highest bidder where it joins other services (tinder/match/pof, adsense, some healthcare orgs, telecom/ISP, banks) and eventually all land in gov hands through purchase or force.

Privacy policies are purposely porous boilerplates (alliteration folks!) designed wear the user down into clicking that green button.

Everything should NOT hedge on these book-long EULAs, especially now that things are so lax to the point where registering is an implicit agreement to half that book.

FB is not the only target towards upholding user privacy. The Experian hack should def be covered in this, notably how more money should be spent guaranteeing this data.

How to quantify? Well, just fine companies a pro rated asking price FB and its buddies would charge if they sold that hacked data in the open market. That would lock **** down fast.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Let's look at these.

Doxing: this is usually done by information the user has shared publicly no? What's an example of private doxing? I don't seem to recall this is an issue with FB at least.

Predictive behavioural algorithms: again it depends on how these are used and by whom. If FB uses them to figure out how likely you are to sign up for a service so that advertisers can more efficiently target you is that a bad thing? Facebook isn't giving away who or identifiable info. They are deciding what kind of ad to serve a person.

Non user face tracking: FB only tracks faces of users who give consent to the the auto tagging feature. If someone gives explicit consent I don't see an issue. I have very strict setting on Facebook and it doesn't not appear that when people upload photos of me it has any clue who I am. As for nonuser data...I think that is an issue with the sites using Facebook apps.

The whole digital advertising industry is dependent on collecting data on users in one place and using it on another. To eliminate would significantly hurt most content based businesses. This site itself would suffer a revenue loss as the ads you see are based on your off site browsing activity... And that targeting results in a boost in revenue for the site.

So while agree that privacy is a serious issue I don't think passing regulations in a reactive way is the right solution. I do think sites should be able to charge a premium to let users avoid their data being collected or used if the user opts out. But people also need to wise up and realize that when you give a business your data don't count on it being secure. It's not. And most of that has to do with the idea of security being a fantasy.

What makes what the credit agencies do so infuriating is that we never gave them that data. But could you imagine if they didn't have your data? You wouldn't be able to get a loan.

You can't protect your data at the end of the day. But you can take steps to mitigate the impact of someone having that data and that's where I focus on. But Facebook would be the least of my worries. If you don't want Facebook having a ton of data on you the easiest thing to do is not use Facebook. If that's not an option just use different browsers for social media and web surfing