1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trump campaign firm: illegally harvested Facebook info for trump campaign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is customizing ads to people's affinities such a horrible thing? Without FB many smaller companies would struggle to survive.

What happened here was that CA built up something more than data on affinities, it had personality profiles of people that was never intended to be shared with anyone.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It could die and the world would not end. Life would go on. People would move on to other things, and businesses would be reminded that protecting their customers from harm is of paramount importance when they offer services of this nature. Facebook was incredibly remiss, and on so many levels that it is truly stunning. They should be punished. The market is punishing them now. Whether they survive or not in anything like the successful internet business they have been until now remains to be seen. In my opinion, of course.

SamFisher and CometsWin like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Deckard that's a very nice attitude except that a lot of businesses - legit ones - are built on FB - it's an economy - and it's failure would cost a lot of jobs not just at FB.

4. Buck Turgidson

Right. Unless @MadMax or HangoutBoy sell me out I'm still incognito.

MadMax likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Waiting till after I convince a world power to help get me elected to play that card, Buck.

Deckard likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. Buck Turgidson

I know a couple of Ecuadorans with some free time.

MadMax likes this.
  8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Deji McGever likes this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

I'd say FB has been intellectually dishonest.

FB has smart / super competent people working for them. as pointed out by you, FB has done an effective job containing the spread of p*rnography on its platform. it can do the same for fake news/illegal data harvesting, if it wants to

FB just doesn't want to dedicate resources addressing illegal data harvesting,
    heretofore,
    it has been kicking the can down the road.

if i remember my economic history, this is reminiscent of the US auto makers, when losing market shares to 4-cylinder fuel-efficient cars imported from Japan, asserting that it was impossible to re-tool its factories to mfg 4-cylinder cars

that's just too extreme, no ?

what FB has done is dispicable, it should be fined a hefty sum.

in the overall scheme of things, it is miniscule as compared to the data breach at Equifax or the scam perpetruated by Wells Fargo

it is free for FB users to use the platform; customers have to pay Equifax and Wells Fargo for their "services"

Equifax and Wells Fargo have customers' social security #, date of birth, place of work, home address, etc;
    FB users do not provide such personal info in order to get on the FB platform

#90 adoo, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

no one gaf about data mining or fake news, until Trump and Brexit won

now Silicon Valley is feeling pressure to censor their content to prevent that happening again

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/mark-zuckerberg-plays-along-with-the-scapegoating-of-facebook/

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I wouldn't say no one. Plenty of people have warned about FBs privacy issues and business model since they first started running ads. It was also clear to anyone with access to FB's API just how much information could be gleamed if one was willing to pay for the privilege. I did fundraising for a PAC in 2011/2012 in the US using the media buying platform the company I worked for using the FB API and was shocked at how easy it was to amass people with similar political orientations just by drilling down friend networks and harvesting keywords.

I think it would be very hard for Facebook survive without that ability -- it suddenly becomes much less attractive of a platform to advertisers and way less profitable for them. Of course, once the Kardashians move on to the next new thing, it will be over anyway.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Fake news has always existed. Thomas Jefferson, I think, complain about it.

Trump has made it popular. In two ways. Attacking the press, calling them fake news, and his supporting buying into that. Being a regular initiator and spreader of fake news himself. Of course, we know that what Trump call fake news is news that he does not like. This devalue what really is fake news.

Data mining, big data, ... privacy concern for it has been around for years. The EU is the leader in protecting individual privacy. They were working this issue since at least 2012. They have a set of rules that were adopted in 2016 and will become enforceable this May. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

This might be focused on FB, but it's not just FB.

FranchiseBlade, Deckard and JeffB like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Read this thread...

15. Buck Turgidson

16. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

First humanoid AI android? :)

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...God help us if he's another one of Data's weird, mean-spirited android kinfolk...

...he DOES look a lot like Lore, you know...

Amiga and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

In fairness to Zuckenberg, this is what it is like testifying to a committee... mind you the photographers are wrapped around you on both sides too. I have a speech impediment so I could never speak in public like this, but I would think most anyone would be nervous.

[​IMG]

20. conquistador#11