1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trump breaks #1 promise before he takes office.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Trump was needling Mexico and the media with that line. As long as the wall gets built, people who support it aren't going to care.

As an engineer, I'm interested to see what the design looks like. I imagine it will be similar to the Israeli fence that's been effective at keeping out the jihadis.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/house-gop-trump-border-wall-233237

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Morons will be morons, anyone who believed Mexico would pay for the wall was .....

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

What about those who still believe?

Deckard likes this.
  4. pirc1

Can I sell my property in Trump Tower to them?

5. MexAmercnMoose

cool, another engineer on the bbs....i'd also like to know about the design...what discipline? i'm a p.e. structural

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His supporters will find a way to apologize for this behavior again. There was never a mechanism by which Trump could compel a foreign country to pay for something they didn't want. It was all smoke and mirrors, which they fell for time and again. Also, by "asking Congress to pay" for his wall, that means your taxes are going up. How does that feel?

If the wall keeps getting 10 feet taller, the ladder market in Mexico keeps getting 11 feet bigger.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Vicente Fox called the wall racist? How is it racist?

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Even though the majority of people (both recent polls of Texans and Americans) oppose the wall? And now Trump flip flops on who will pay for it? I don't care what design it takes... spending US dollars on this boondoggle is ridiculous.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/pew-immigration-wall-227367
    http://www.statesman.com/news/state...ose-trump-border-wall/AIcgneM8DpyOimEfGFopAL/

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

1,989 miles planned for rapid build

feelsgoodman

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They've already paid some, see Carrier, Ford, and possibly Toyota next. And they may pay more if they do look at NAFTA. No one ever claimed Mexico would cut a check directly for wall construction. Paying was always understood to be indirectly.

You and CNN are lying about Trump's explanation of Mexico paying for the wall so you can politicize this "news."

11. ipaman

You good with Hilary spending your/our money for a fence? I hope so because she already did.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The wall is a stupid idea. If they great wall of china didn't work how is a border fence supposed to work?

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

no way the wall gets built. Even where they have a wall/fence the mexican's go over, around and under it all the time. waste of money and another empty trump promise

No Worries likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would not hold my breath. The Freedom Caucus in the House tend to want to "pay" for things, so I do not see tax increases or budget cuts to pay for a wall.

16. ipaman

The wall is stupid but border security is not. I've always looked at "The Wall" as a symbol for border security more than an actual wall. Trump I'm sure thinks a physical wall is part of that border security and in some locations it may very well be. But securing borders is much bigger than a wall.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I think many trump supporters feel that locking up hillary was promise #1... and he won't be able to do that either

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While its true Clinton voted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006 which authorized the construction of a fence (not wall) along 700 miles (of 2,000 miles) of the border, if I had been asked I would said it was also a waste of money. btw, I believe that Act involved fence, electronic surveillance, increased patrols, etc, so that spending was at least not nearly as ridiculous and wasteful as the one Trump is pushing.

Also btw, I am pretty sure that fence was never built. So hopefully the Trump wall shares the same fate.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then why not spend the money on increased enforcement of people overstaying visas instead of a physical wall?

20. pirc1

I bet they will build a symbolic wall for a mile or so to show hey we have a wall!

VooDooPope likes this.