1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump being sued under emoluments clause

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Jun 12, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Also Americanscan't do their own 40 grand a year tax returns

I'm sure Trump's returns are hundreds of pages. 95% of us wouldn't know what we were looking at

If it's a privacy issue with him that is his right

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

For god's sake, that's what accountants take care of. I certainly don't do my own taxes, not in decades. He's the ****ing president of the United States and the people should know whether he's profiting from holding that office.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know why there isn't a government watchdog for this

However we have the IRS. There's legality and then there is where his money comes from. That's still a private matter,

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bullshit. A president is NOT a "private citizen." Where did you get that idea?

JeffB likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably should double down on this with the whole Russia thing kind of falling apart.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Special Prosecutor is calling it quits?

Good to know.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I'm sure he'll keep on trying, but every day it looks less and less likely that there will ever be any substance in which to tie to the president and let's face it, that's the sole objective here.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When did Bobby become employed by the FBI? With a high school education also. Impressive.

No Worries likes this.
  10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That watchdog is the United States Office of Government Ethics and Congress. Since the president of the country isn't a private citizen but a public employee, who pays the Chief Executive of the republic is of import.

Trump is ignoring the ethics office and Republicans are blocking oversight. Note that these same Republicans were so up in arms at the prospect of the Clinton Founation being pay for play.

If he wanted to keep the source of is money private, he shouldn't have become a public official. And now that he is a public official and is currently still making money through his business operations, it is imperative to know if he is receiving payment from foreign officials or foreign governments. There is a clause regarding that in the constitution.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The clause regards gifts.

Business operations aren't gifts but that's why it's going to court

I really think this is grey area and the problem I have is a person who owns a business is in a unique situation. A career poitician's income is already public

On tax returns again that's tradition that really had nothing to do with nothing

It started with Ford in the seventies

Secondly all this information is at the IRS

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A lot of business people are private about their income and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from running over this.

If it's law to put your assets in a blind trust then so be it. But it doesn't seem to be

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't have a problem with this thread. It's a significant development in this topic

On Russia and this. No one is gonna spend millions to run for president to save fifteen percent on a shady Russian bank loan.

Or get foreign governments to spend money with them or whatever

That's ridiculous considering the time effort and money to run for president

I'm not defending trump I'm defending sanity. It's a ridiculous conspiracy theory considering what it takes to become president

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Russia isn't the topic of this thread.

If you want to represent sanity, attempt a modicum of self restraint.

1) does not preclude 2), nor does legibility excuse Trump or any multimillion-billionaire from releasing their returns as a public official.

POP QUIZ: What is 5% of 350 million?*

3) As there isn't an official law, it's definitely his right, but other wealthy candidates like Forbes and Bloomberg have voluntarily released their returns.

Trump can flout convention, but he's going to get **** for it especially when his other peers are doing it and don't whine and moan from the burden of being filthy filthy rich.

*If you guessed 14.5 million, then you're on your way to doing your tax return! You get a cookie! Smart!

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Russia or whatever foreign government is how this thread had evolved as this is what people claim they are concerned about

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Just like Rachel Maddow you're gonna learn one thing from his tax returns

He's rich.

His past tax returns won't show anything about this topic because he wasn't president

I'm sure he can't hide any illicit unethical dealings that may happen going forward

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Repeating the same thing is batty, pgabs. They say imitation is a form of flattery.

If he has nothing to hide, then he has nothing to fear from these lawsuits regarding unethical dealings.

If he has nothing to hide, then he has nothing to fear from releasing his recent tax statements.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't have a problem with these lawsuits

I have a problem with people thinking someone would go through the effort to become president to save money

That's batty and that idea was expressed in this thread

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You think it's far fetched for a rich billionaire playboy with no individual merit to desire the presidency in order to have more influence and leveraging power in their private businesses?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member