1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trump] An invitation for Evangelicals to Debate the Merits of Supporting Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/03/14/exit-polls-and-the-evangelical-vote-a-closer-look/

Here’s a pew research exit poll study from 2014. It does show 40% of republican leaning voters describe themselves as devote Evangelicals. 30% of all voters (Republican and Democrat) describe themselves that way too. Though....

the article starts off though lamenting how there should have been more questions to really dig into what constitutes an evangelical voter besides self identification.

so far from what I gather the markers they asked were:

1) are you born again evangelical?
    2) how often to you attend church?
    3) how often do you pray?
    4) how often do you share your beliefs?

which I can personally say, someone that does all those things might not truly be a Christian in a biblical sense, but a cultural Christian in that, that’s all they know to do and have never really challenged their own faith and owned if for themselves.

So I think I can get more behind that for much of the evangelical voting block, immigration was a much larger issue than I’m hearing. I do think I’m left really wanting to know more, how many of these voters are actually Christian and how many are cultural Christians that are, at the very least, more American than they are Christian? I wish there was a study on that because I’d venture to say the that my “label” of being Christian is being hijacked by a segment that may attend church and describe themselves as Christian, but are serving a different Master.

even as I write that, I feel grieved because such a statement is divisive within the church. It’s questioning the faith of others in the church. Yet at the same time I feel obligated to say such a divisive statement when faced with such behavior that isn’t truly reflective of Christ is so obvious and blatant that non-Christians can see hypocrisy. It makes we want to question every person I talk to that’s Christian and ask, “but are you really? I mean what makes you Christian?” Because how you vote unfortunately tells me a lot about your theology.

#141 Rox>Mavs, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a minority, and I have friends who are Evangelical right wingers. They have all the talking points, but man they are closet racists as well. I know this because their children tell me.

As for a poll, look at the 2016 SC primary, I believe you will see that Trump beat Cruz amongst evangelicals by 5-10 points. I remember that one because it shocked me at the time, and was a real wake-up that it wasn't about social issue but rather xenophobia.

3. Rox>Mavs

that is shocking.....SC though. That does strike me as a hotbed for “cultural” Christianity. And I’m inferring that not from racial “white” profiling. There are no notable seminaries and institutions of higher theological learning there. Which is usually a marker for maturity of faith for me.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...cals-arent-necessarily-voting-on-their-faith/

Interesting article from March 2016 discussing the rise of "trumpvangelicals"...

Trumpvangelicals are the new evangelicals
    https://theweek.com/articles/609834/trumpvangelicals-are-new-evangelicals

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. Rox>Mavs

Ugh, okay thank you for this. This makes me sick to my stomach and yet articulated what I feel and fear. If polling data suggests 80% of GOP voters describe themselves as Christian, then (I’m just guessing because there’s no data) really it’s something like 20% of that are Christians with poor theological education and 60% are more “red blooded American with Christian values”.

“aghast” is an appropriate word to use.

the pew data I cited also shows 65% of democratic voters are Christian. I’d assume there’s similarity in that there are cultural Christian voters that vote Democrat. But probably a good chunk of them vote democrat because of social issues or anti-trump.

one of my best friends that’s always been a conservative GOP voter is voting democrat this next cycle. In his own words, “just put up any reasonable moderate and I’ll vote for him/her. Anyone but trump....”

that’s the general sentiment among most of the Christian community that I talk to. Anyone but Trump. But I think this is a real minority of the self identified “Christian” voting block.

#145 Rox>Mavs, Dec 29, 2019
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

From my experience, the Evangelical Christians who genuinely read the Bible and try to understand it rather than just adhering to cultural values and assuming what's in the Bible are the ones most like to do things such as help refugees.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

#3-#5 sounds like rationalizations for #1 and #2

#1 is clear.

#2 is muddy and I'm curious if you can talk more about it. I interpret that more than simply religious freedom- we all have that in the US. In fact, I see it as the very opposite of religious freedom.

What I interpret that as is not religious freedom, but a nation of Christain values, or traditional White American culture that was once exclusively Christain. Which rub directly against freedom of other religion or culture that is viewed as anti-Christain. This is where the MAGA resonant - to bring that culture back. (And that is where some folks see as "racism").

Why? I think Evangelicals have witnessed the decline of religion, their religion, in the public sphere and in American culture - in school, in films, in the younger generation and worse, they see a further decline - a fear of the minority-majority status, a fear of Islam supports, fear of agnostic atheism and other trends against their culture.

What is your interpretation of #2?

#147 Amiga, Dec 29, 2019
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What is your definition of refugee? Poor person using the title as a loophole to sneak in from another country isn't it. I am assuming this is your meaning based on past discussions in this forum.

Furthermore, if you are talking about actual refugees, there are other ways to support it. Like supporting Tulsi who opposes regime change wars the CREATE REFUGEES. Or go with Trump for now who appears to not be for starting wars in comparison to most candidates against him.

The best way to help refugees is to not create them and destroy their homes.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

So they are your friends.... lol

10. Rox>Mavs

absolutely. 100%. It’s not even a question among the Christians I’m in community with.

I can’t help but feel this comes down to education. That’s sounds reductive, but it just seems like so much of the evangelical base votes the way they do because they’re more American than Christian, or they just have really poor and misapplied theology. If it’s the later, than it’s leaders like myself that have failed to teach and educate well.

a couple days ago I was counseling this couple from my church. And these are long time attendees of my church. They’re volunteers and have been for decades. I’m pushing into their thinking and understanding of the Bible as it relates to how they deal with pain and suffering (they have a daughter that’s an addict). I can tell they take what the Bible says to heart and they allow it to really challenge the way they live and love. So I don’t doubt the sincerity of their faith.

But then somehow we move to a discussion of conflict and trump. And they’re clearly trump supporters. Which leaves me to believe, okay this is an education problem. They haven’t been challenged to apply their theology in this area of life.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Your myoptic views are easy to pick apart.
    Which is it? What is todays goal post? In one post of yours, racism is black and white. In this one, its a gradient. Let me ask you this; At one point does one come racist enough to officially be called racist on the @Sweet Lou 4 2 scientific racist scale? When they vote R? When they dont completely attack and ridicule Trump? When they disagree with you? For someone who is all about the Racist Range, you're one to be the first to label someone a racist or some other derogatory term.
    And for the record, this is one of the few times I agree with you. I disagree with you when you go on one of your anecdotal tirades insinuating people are racist.

This has been stated. Evangelicals tend to be very tribal. Yes, they are indeed going to be unfriendly towards Muslims. There is not a strong Asian presence in Christianity. Evangelicals are still deeply rooted in the patriarch, so yes, they are going to resist feminists.

And I have no idea what 'white cultural values' are. Coming from you, it sounds like a synonym for Racist.

It was not the Evangelicals who were high on the idea of Kavanaugh attempting to overturn Roe vs Wade. It was a liberal boogieman who thought a Republican leaning majority in the SCOTUS would instantly return us back to the puritan ways of the 1600's.

And what is your definition of an Evangelical? You do understand there is not a black and white definition of Evangelical. The OP has stated as much in his view.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think the above statement summarizes your post perfectly and is exactly my point

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A Christian of Jesus' teachings probably have empathy for people who find their current living conditions so poor and miserable they are willing to trek 1000 mile journeys and rush imprisonment.

Just put yourself in someone's shoes who genuinely believes there is an eternal after life and that this plane is merely temporary. Imagine adhering to a god like figure in Jesus who incessantly preached about helping the poor and how wealthy people will have significantly harder times finding God in the after life. Do you think they would give a **** about human made legal labels? They are going to prioritize their empathy over the distinction between legal and illegal refugee because in the eyes of those type of Christians, even the ones who come here illegally because they are so damn poor and just want a job opportunity to feed their families also deserve empathy.

Thank goodness Tulsi isn't the only candidate that doesn't pander about stopping regime change wars. Except people like Bernie don't pander and have been addressing those issues for decades while Tulsi before the Trump era was blasting Obama about how he needs to label our "war on terror" a "war on fundamentalist Islam".

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

They are the parents of friends. I don't know many evangelicals outside the ones I knew growing up in the south or the parents of close friends. They tended to try to tell my family how we were going to hell because we worshiped idols or multiple gods. I also went to a Parochial school when I was in grade school and was told similar things. Thankfully our parents pulled us from there and put us into public school.

15. Rox>Mavs

i can see how there are elements of what you described. I didn’t really dig into it in my conversations but the typical talking points have to do with Christians being “forced” to do things (aka service people in the market place that they don’t agree with. Bakers making wedding cakes for gay couples, issuing marriage certificates, performing abortions, etc.

Those are just anecdotal examples but I do think there’s a general perceived attack or loss of ground over what the cultural norms are and the need to defend that. Which again is a completely “unChristian“ way of thinking.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Should a Muslim baker be able to refuse to make a cake for Christians? Should someone who has a conscious objection against issuing marriage certificates to heterosexuals be placed in an official role where they are suppose to follow the law? And should a doctor who has an issue with abortions be a gynecologist?

No one is forcing these things on to people no more than their job requires them to. If Walmart makes you clean the toilets, is that being "forced" to do things?

This is what annoys me about this argument, you act like Christians have some special privileged over other people.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My family is very well versed in theology. My dad was a deacon in the church growing up. They know he’s immoral but they choose to support him nonetheless and passionately at best.

If at Christmas I was to challenge them regarding theology and calling out the teachings of Jesus and how they conflict with cruelty of refugees, stealing from the poor (food stamp cuts), or just blanket racism I guarantee you the conversation would not go well. They would emotionally throw back every talking point you can imagine, and if they did have to cite the Bible, they always go to David to tell how God takes unlikely immoral characters and changes them to change the world to God. Seriously... and I know all the problems with that argument as well (the fact that David had repented before he was really seen as a Godly representation etc). It does not matter. In the end, the support and passion for him comes down to one thing and one thing alone...

They believe liberals (Muslims, African Americans, Democrats, Latinos, etc.) are an existential threat to their culture and way of life. They have chosen Trump and believe he is truly chosen by God to fight for their Leave it To Beaver utopia culture, and nothing will convince them otherwise until Trump is beaten and is honest about how he has used Evangelical Whites for their voting and media power.

They choose him because he can literally get away with murder and say what they really think... as crazy as what they think is. They chose Trump over Cruz because Trump can get away with what they know others in the GOP cannot. This is the end times in their minds. They NEED a bomb thrower to get what they want as the world ends in their minds. The obsession with the end times only gives them more credence to throw the rule of law out the window. It’s time to throw the gloves off and really battle the liberals once and for all.

#157 dobro1229, Dec 29, 2019
  18. Rox>Mavs

sorry just to clarify, are you suggesting that I’m making this argument or just speaking in generalities about the Evangelical argument?

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You do realize that borders have a purpose? Religion aside, you won't have a nice country if you let everyone in. If you fail to grasp this concept, then there is really no point in further discussion. We are at an impasse.

Just saying Christians have to give to everyone seems to be a bit base which is what you are getting at regarding this just help all the poor thing. Unfortunately, you can't help everyone at the expense of your future and your family's future.. At the end of the day, they have a responsibility to help their own by ensuring a nice place for the future generations. Family, just after God, is the Top responsibility of a Christian. Not destroying their homeland and its future for their children. That is a basic economic argument, as unrestricted flow of migration is essentially a death nail for a culture, society, and an economy. It's already wreaked havoc because generations of people refused to properly enforce bipartisan laws regarding immigration.

One way Christians can help is by supporting political causes that will improve trade deals with poor countries. Another way, and this is a way to help those poor in your country, is to make sure more poor don't come in and take their resources and compete for jobs and suppress wages (the best way to help to poor is to not be poor, they say). These are actually reasons to vote for Trump or others willing to enforce the border laws and even improve them. Wall or no wall, improvement is needed.

And furthermore, I will restate this, Christians seeking to help the refugees, the actual ones, should support those willing to stand against regime change wars, resource wars, and other actions that cause instability. And this is not a party issue. Bush was a war monger, Clinton was willing to be one, Obama was also a war monger, and Trump is showing that he likes to skirt the border of it (I have no doubt he will get us into one next term). In fact that is why I would prefer Tulsi, as she is the only one will to take the correct moral stance on this issue.

#159 dachuda86, Dec 29, 2019
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sorry - I thought you were making that argument versus repeating what they were saying

Rox>Mavs likes this.