1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trump] An invitation for Evangelicals to Debate the Merits of Supporting Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If it was about abortion they would have backed another candidate and Trump would have never won the nomination over all the other guys.

While people may say it's about "abortion" that's not why he won - he didn't make abortion a strong pillar of his campaign ever. It was always first and foremost about immigration and race.

He talked about Mexicans, he talked about trade to China and Mexico, he talked about Blacks, he talked about Obama not being a US citizen - it was always about race and foreigners as the boogie man in some form or the other.

Abortion was never the main issue.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I’m meeting with a group of other pastors to debate this more and to refine my thinking. Part of the reason why I started this thread (and one on my FB account) was to start understanding why Christian support Trump. This discussion helps me to prepare my talking points a little better so thank you to all of you who have participated. It’s helped me to sharpen my thinking and understanding.

so far here are the primary reasons that I’ve come across as to why Evangelicals support Trump.

I’ll leave this here for anyone that calls themselves a Christian and believes they are justified or even morally obligated to vote for Trump, or worse organize others in their church to do so.

Reasons Why Evangelicals Support Trump
    and Why There’s No Biblical Basis for It

1) it’s about saving unborn lives

God is just and hates death, but saving mortal life is not His first and primary concern. The saving of mortal life is accomplished first through the saving of souls and transformation of the unbelievers heart.

2) it’s about protecting Christian’s rights to religious freedom

The Bible doesn’t support Christians defending themselves or their rights. It does support Christian’s laying down their rights and suffering for the sake of the gospel and being Christlike to the culture they find themselves in. particularly even more so when Christians are persecuted.

3) Christians are called to support and respect its leaders regardless of their moral character.

Yet support and respect does not equate to endorsement or defense of any leaders actions or behaviors. Particularly when those behaviors are antithetical to Christian morality. It is possible to respect and support leaders without encouraging and supporting their behavior. Doing so only damages the Church’s ability to witness.

4) there’s no better alternative to vote for and a non-vote or protest vote is not an option

There is a better alternative. It’s the first and only option the Church was given. The ministry of the Church indwelled with the Holy Spirit. That has always been the greatest apparatus for change given.

The Bible, if anything, supports that Christians abstain from organized involvement in political government and wielding political power. But rather that they utilize the authority of the Church, which is equipped with the power of the Holy Spirit, to transform the minds and hearts of an unbelieving people.

The idea that it’s a Christians duty to vote and participate in the political process has no biblical basis. It’s an American value. Not a Christian one. The power to vote is political power in the hands of people within a democracy. There is nothing biblical that prohibits the participation of believers in secular governance, but there is reason to believe the Bible does not condone the Church organize itself as a political power to influence change through the power of the vote. The power the change rests solely in the message of the gospel, not the vote. Christians organizing themselves as a Super PAC or lobbying group, influencing other believers to vote a certain way pulls the Church down to level it was never purposed to operate in. It damages the Church’s unity and its ability to witness.

5) we can do both: vote and fulfill our role as the Church to evangelize and disciple.

Sure, but are you really doing both? Job #1 is evangelism and discipleship. Go and make disciples. If job #1 isn’t being done, no other mechanism ought to be leveraged. Including the power of your vote.

1 friend for 1 vote rule. To be able to leverage the power of the vote, challenge yourself to develop and sustain a friendship with at least one non-believer from the the pro-choice or LGBTQ community. Don’t just debate, build a genuine friendship. Seek to understand them and build compassion for them as you would any friend. You may change their heart and way of thinking as they may change yours as well. Be open to both

#122 Rox>Mavs, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  3. Rox>Mavs

that’s not what I’m hearing. Consistently, even before the election I’ve heard evangelicals say it was about abortion and the SCOTUS seats. Overturning Roe v Wade. I never heard anyone say Trump was their first choice. All supported someone else in the primary. Cruz, Carson, whoever.

everyone’s rationale before the election was “I don’t like him and I wish it was another republican, but I’ll choose him over Hillary.” I’ve talked to 10-15 evangelical trump supporters in the last week. Each one has said it’s about abortion first. Then maybe religious protections.

in the end, many had their doubts that Trump would follow through on antiabortion promises. But he came through for them which has them super supportive of him now. Prolife was always the issue, they just bet on Trump to follow through than going with Hillary who they knew they would get pro-choice legislation and justices.

#123 Rox>Mavs, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The “safest” or most principled thing for them to say is that it’s about abortion or religious protection or scotus seats. Saying that it is about race, immigration liberal culture...it makes them sound like an a hole, and nobody wants to think of the,selves as an a hole.

5. Rox>Mavs

Other than that sounds like something someone would do to not seem like an ahole, what other basis do you have for this belief? I’d be interested in being corrected on this as ultimately I want to address the core issue. But your logic could be applied to anyone to assert that their true position is concealed while also making up what they’re real position or issue is.

Husband: “you say you’re just tired but really you don’t want to have sex bc you think I’m a big fat disgusting slob but just don’t want to sound mean”

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I knew it, but didn't have the interest in turning Christmas upside down with a simple fact check. In past years it would have been an all out brawl. Now, I just change the subject real quick or make a joke when its all of them all at once all worked up.

But no... they don't know that because they are highly ignorant, and don't want to know that it is not a liberal Soros funded attack on Trump. They enjoy it.

Amiga and RayRay10 like this.
  7. dobro1229

That last line really hits the nail on the head. And I cannot stress enough how much of this culture nostalgia & fear of losing the Leave it to Beaver past (that never really existed) is driven by Fox News. Evangelicals watch it, as do Neo Nazis, as do Suburban White Working Class folks do, as do Rich people who work in industries that benefit from Republican economic drivers.

If it was just about Evangelicals, the Trump administration state TV would be CBN, or whatever network Pat Robertson is on. FoxNews is the one single unifying repository for all these different groups to get all jazzed up with Fear and anxiety that drives them to develop the Trump cult. Everything from a talking point, and messaging standpoint starts with FoxNews, and Trump's twitter feed just bounces the ball back to Fox. Trump cannot exist without Fox.

TheFreak, RayRay10 and T_Man like this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Discretion is the better part of valor.

dobro1229 likes this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://billmoyers.com/2014/07/17/when-southern-baptists-were-pro-choice/

I don't doubt the current sincerity, but it is interesting to see where it came from.

There is a parallel with Trump there. Things sometimes take on a life of their own, and develop a sincerity that grew out of something less than on the level.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

To the liberals, the evangelicals are like the evil jews who used to live in the German walls, waiting to brainwash them into their evil doings while they sleep.

Evangelicals and main stream Christianity are not interchangeable. Evangelicals are much more aggressive and vocal about their beliefs, but a smaller part of the population. Being an Evangelical, you will hear more people talk about such topics like abortion more so than any other. The run of the mill Republican who is not super religious is more concerned about topics like immigration. They understand that giving 10% of their earnings to "God" doesn't guarantee them prosperity and therefore must fight for their prosperity.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What is going to be this alternate reality's version of the yellow star? Should Evangicals be concerned? I mean you are comparing their treatment to Nazi Germany Jews.

Anyways I'm fine with Evangicals as long as they don't preach their beliefs into legislation just like I'm fine with Muslims as long as they don't preach their beliefs into legislation.

I'm also not fine with Evangicals prosperity gospel preachers who support Trump out of pure grifting motivation just like I wouldn't be fine with a Imam bootlicking a autocratic leader because it places them in a position of power.

Fundamentalist strains of religion also are generally more tribal. You can see this with many Evangicals communties along with other fundamentalist religious communties. The members in the community are more insular, don't travel out of their bubble as much and just don't interact with other humans that don't share the same beliefs as them as much as the general population. So it's not that Evangicals "doctrine" is inherently racist or bigoted. It's just that the many of these communties are just naturally more tribal and hence it shows more in their views on anything considered outside their cultural sphere of influence.

#131 fchowd0311, Dec 28, 2019
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're making my point. Do you not believe there is a portion of our population who feel racist and bigots should be locked up?

While I do not have many positive things to say about Evangelicals, bigotry and racism is not a root of their movement. Yes, they believe abortion is evil and that [open] homosexuality is a sin. There are many in the movement who will have absolutely nothing to do with them because they do not belong to the tribe, so to speak as you put it, however generally they dont wish death and ill will. They are nothing like the back-woods half wits who hate anything that isnt white.

13. fchowd0311

No, and I don't think I ever in my posting history ever remotely implied that.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Actions speak louder than words, friend. In the SC primary, Trump beat Cruz even with evangelicals, even though Cruz was a far stronger pro-life and family values candidate than Trump - who was unclear on the abortion issue at times. The reason is simply, Evangelicals see feminists and Muslims - as well as other minorities, as a threat to their values. That is what Trump appeals to. You're not getting the truth when you talk from people because no one wants to admit that it's cultural values - white cultural values, that drove their actual decision. It's much easier to rationalize it as something they are more comfortable sharing.

mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So full of hate for liberals. Perhaps you have grown old and it's affecting your mind?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

This. Exactly this. Trump was selected out of a field of 17 GOP candidates. Many of whom had much stronger views on abortion and other religous matters. They also were far more nuanced in their policy desires.

So it wasn't policy and values that made people attracted to Trump. It was the bombastic exaggerations of Mexicans coming in as mostly rapists or "thousands upon thousands" Muslims celebrating 9/11 in the streets of Jersey City and Trump hunting for Obama's birth certificate. They loved that ****.
    To believe that many rural pockets of southern white Evangelical communties don't hold insular bigoted views is asinine.

Fortunately there is also some pockets of Evangelical communties that do mimick the teachings of Jesus and are far more friendly to entities such as refugees.

The insular world view that many rural Evangelical communities probably has little to do with actual religious doctrine but more to do with culture as the more fundamentalist a community is in their religion the more likely they are going to stick to themselves and live in a bubble. This is a common trait through out the world.

#136 fchowd0311, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    mdrowe00 and dobro1229 like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

People like Space Ghost see racism as black and white, no pun intended. Either you are not racist or you are a card carrying member of the KKK. But there's a whole spectrum in between. Racism isn't the top of a mountain reaches, it's a ladder with many steps which nearly everyone is one.

Evangelicals aren't outright racists (most aren't at least). But they don't feel the Muslims, the blacks, the Mexicans, the feminists, the Asians, share their values which is really code for white cultural values. They fully can accept minority so long as they believe what they do, eat what they do, act like they do, dress like they do. So long as it's in small quantities.

Minorities and liberals are a threat to their culture. It's not just abortion. That's just one issue. They picked Trump who picked Kavanaugh who isn't even committed to overturning Roe v Wade and stated it's an important precedent. Yet Evangelicals are happy. Why?

Because it wasn't abortion that they were really concerned about.

fchowd0311 and dobro1229 like this.
  18. dobro1229

Completely agree you aren’t getting the truth when someone says they didn’t like him but....her emails! Of course they love him. They just know he’s toxic and a bigot. If you ask that question now though vs in 2017 you’ll be shocked to see how there’s much more openness from them on their support although it’s still always going to be “but the Dems are evil” as a tactic to justify and put the Dems on trial for Trumps transgressions.

So no don’t ever believe someone who says that. They aren’t being honest and are trying to save face with their liberal friends.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The Clinton is so much worse is the biggest lie you can ever hear. That's the rationalization - they would have used it with any Dem. They embraced Trump because they like Trump, not for any other reason. This is a group that has never stood against racism, in fact they stand for it either actively or passively

20. Rox>Mavs

perhaps I’m only polling a small sample size that isn’t indicative of the larger population of Evangelical trump voters. Or perhaps that sampling isn’t being forth coming with me because I’m a minority. It’s likely the former on most, possible the latter for a few.

but this is interesting to me. Do either of you have any polling data that shows Evangelicals voted primarily for Trump in the primaries as opposed to Cruz or anyone else? I get obviously Trump won but that doesn’t mean Evangelicals voted to get him there out of the primaries. Most say they only voted for him once he was the last man standing. We could reverse infer it to. I mean of the entire GOP voting block, how much are evangelicals?

I’ll do some googling but if y’all have any data on that, I’d be open to having my views on this shift.