1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

|TruebluePistons|Official blog on pistons.com about signing McGrady: Win-Win

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Aug 10, 2010.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/truebluepistons_100810.html

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it is.

if he's pain-free, this is a bargain.

if not, he'll retire and it was only the vet's min.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Other teams that are worried about playoff position might be concerned about McGrady's impact on team chemistry. Detroit doesn't need to worry about the playoffs this season and will only get in if McGrady does recover, so why not take a flier?

1 person likes this.
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Best case - first round exit with a 1-year rental

Worst case - he destroys their team like Iverson did

Not sure I'd call that a win-win.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Eh, what's there to destroy at this point though? They are very clearly in a transition period, so why not try and sneak into the 8th spot or something while still allowing guys like Stuckey the chance to develop? Like people have said earlier, if he's not healthy, it was only the vet min. No harm, no foul....and hey, you might even put some more fans in the seats. Lord knows Detroit could use any kind of economic stimulus they can get.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Tracy has no power. They're not paying him anything, and they have no championship aspirations. If he becomes a distraction, flush. Prediction, Tracy plays the good little soldier and then tries to force a deadline trade.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

detroit has a few good young wings that could develop with the minutes she-mac might take

= bad signing imo

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Very well written article. Great points. All of which I agree with. It's a bargain for Detroit. If Mcgrady can avoid the injury bug, then it should be a fun season for him.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

That was a different situation. They traded away Billups.

10. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

so how does he get playing time behind hamilton and gordon?

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The first paragraph of the op's quote is what i've been saying for years. The magician didnt turn down hamilton and chauncey, he wanted them, but dumars was only willing to part with 1 of them plus mcdyess. Posters will argue me down till the end of time about this deal. Just like the will die thinking amare was coming in a trade for scola and shane,but the rockets turned it down because of a physical which is far from the truth. Just like the vince carter block by sugery announcement.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It seems to say that the Rockets asked for Billups and Hamilton, but Joe thought it was too much. It seems to dispute the assumption by many fans that Joe had offered Billups and Hamilton to Houston for T-Mac and Morey refused.

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Man, T-mac went from a 20m contract to a vet minimum of 1.3mil

14. intersync

intersync Member

i'd gladly gamble 1.3 mill on current tmac if i were a team like the pistons. it's no more potentially damaging than signing shaq at 38 for about the same. and whoever gets iverson for less than 2 mill i'd consider lucky. i think he might like bangin' in houston for awhile...maybe it'd be good for his rap career.

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

No, it won't be. Not for long anyway.

It'll ulitmately be very disappointing, Mr. Langlois, because despite trying to fairly assess the situation and consider both the best and worst-case scenarios, you give off way too much of a sense of optimism.

You appear to be completely out of touch with the actual physical and mental state of the remains of this player, but you'll get it soon enough. You're just suffering from a mild case of Orlandotmacitis. It's fairly common around these parts.

Us Rockets fans can already see through your delusions of getting a star at a discount and know that within a couple of weeks of the season, those delusions will be firmly replaced with the realization that his body is broken down while his mind is still set to diva mode.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I am close enough to certain people and its the main reason i called it false when posters were talking about it. The carter trade was declined regardless of the tracy surgery because thorn wanted landry and a pick. Amare was a no go cause phoenix wanted brooks and chase and wanted to dump barbosa. i could go on,but i shouldnt :grin:

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If he's healthy, he's better than both of those guys put together. If he's not healthy, he probably won't play at all.

19. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

The guy who wrote this article is Keith Langlois. He's the world's greatest fluffer. There's not a horrible situation he can't spin into an impending triumph.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's not going to make a significant impact on their team. He'll play 12 minutes a game at best.