1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tristan Thompson

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rockets1616, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

What kind of an NBA prospect do you think this kid is? He's a little undersized at 6'8 but makes up for it plenty with a 7'2 wingspan and ridiculous jumping ability. He is an elite shot blocker and rebounder, and has a great post game. His only downside is FT shooting, but considering what an athletic freak he is, I doubt he wouldn't be starting very soon into his NBA career. What do you guys think?

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Only thread I could find of this dude....

Probballdraft

From the sound of things the @cavs are strongly considering Tristan Thompson. Whether at 4 or if they trade down.

3. jogo

jogo Member

If Tristan was big enough to play C then I'd take him over Bismack. He has more offensive skill than Bis and is probably about the same age. He's a good rebounder and shotblocker and is great at drawing free throws (though his FT% is awful, he'll have to work on this). Tristan was up and down a lot last year and that inconsistency is probably because of his age and getting into foul trouble. Some games he would only have 4 shot attempts! This is probably partly because Rick Barnes at Texas has really sucked at coaching for the past few years.

Tristan won't be there at 14. If he is then we pretty much have to take him.

4. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

If he was 2 inches taller he'd be in the mix for number 1.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sam Amick has the Cavs picking Tristan Thompson #4 if Kanter is off the board:

I'm admittedly shocked to be dropping this early bombshell, but a source said there are strong indications this could be the pick as long as Kanter is off the board by No. 4. The Cavs need a player who can contribute now, and I think Lithuanian center Jonas Valanciunas gets passed up here because he doesn't fit those parameters. Huge upside and all, his buyout with his Lietuvos Rytas team (which was first reported by DraftExpress.com) prohibits him from playing in the NBA next season, and that is a problem for Cleveland. If the Cavs don't opt for Thompson, I'm told it will be a surprise if he gets out of the top 10.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ck.draft.4/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

6. Lowry4three

Lowry4three Member

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Of the teams in the league that shouldn't worried about win now, you'd have to think the Cavs are one of them. Unless Dan Gilbert really really wants to win a championship before Lebron, I see no reason why if Valenc(however you spell his name) is rated a lot higher on their board, that they should avoid taking him?

With regards to Tristan, he seems like a low risk choice. He should have an NBA career at the least, and with a lot of the other guys it's not so obvious. As noted, even with the wingspan, his height may hold him back a little bit. Could he develop into a shorter Al Horford type?

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Watched him play a ton last year. Few observations:

- great 1/1 defender: shut down Derrick Williams
    - good shot blocking instincts and solid rebounder
    - needs to bulk up to play the PF spot in the pros
    - horrible FT shooter, barely made 50% and has poor technique
    - has no face up game, and poor range offensively

Good thing is he's young, and should have some upside in the NBA. Low bust potential provided he works on improving on offense.

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I agree with your sentiments. I'm a UT alum and a big Longhorn sports fan, but I really don't think Tristan is going to be even a good NBA player.

You point out that he needs to bulk up -- which is very true -- but two things. Looking at other players that came into the league with his physique, most of them were much more athletic and laterally quick than Tristan is. Not only is he not strong, he is not quick and does not play with power.

I just don't think he is going to be able to keep up in the NBA because he lacks strength and quickness.

He reminds me of Eddie Griffin a lot (although he is actually a really good kid it seems, unlike Griffin). But Eddie just could never make it in the league -- he always seemed to be a step behind and not quite strong enough to be an NBA PF.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I watched Tristan a lot and don't see it that way. He is very quick and is strong. He has wide shoulders and there is no way to think he can't put on weight. He tested almost exactly like Williams the consensus number two pick in all physical tests and measurements except he is 20 lbs lighter and does not have william's shot..

11. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Watched him very closely during his freshman season at Texas, and he's a dynamite rebounder, especially on the offensive end, but he's very raw offensively. He doesn't have a single go-to move on the low block, and is absolutely horrendous from the FT stripe. He frequently found himself in early foul trouble, as his opponents exploited his below average strength and tendency to leave his feet in hopes of swatting the shot.

Not to mention, he completely disappeared against NBA-caliber frontlines, most notably UNC & Southern Cal. Derrick Williams may have struggled from the field against TT, but he abused him off the bounce. He got to the basket at will, eventually fouling Thompson out of the game. The Morris brothers also dismantled him in the Big 12 title game... I like his length and motor in the paint, but I have a feeling he's the next Brandan Wright.

#4 overall would be down right laughable...

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Most of us Texas fans were surprised to see him go. But I guess it was a no-brainer considering how weak this draft was.

This is a prime example of a guy who would have really benefited from an extra year of school. He is nowhere near NBA ready yet. His terrible post moves and awful FT shooting have already been discussed. Not to mention he'd benefit from another year of bulking up. He could've done some great things with Kabongo running the point next year.

13. superjhou

superjhou Member

Is it just me, or is there something awkward about his movements/game?

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

He is a shorter Tyrus Thomas with a better attitude.

15. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

#4 to Cleveland.