1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Bauer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketsFan11, May 4, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm shocked any fan or person knowledgeable about this situation would think it's a good idea.

DFAing Yordan would be a better idea.

astros123 and Bregatron like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Which show and what host? Lol.

astros123 likes this.
  3. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

astros123 likes this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Do the Astros need him? Probably not. However...

There was an extensive investigation that produced no charges. I do not believe the treatment of Bauer has been consistent with that of other players who received less punishment for worse deeds. There is no valid, substantiated way to prove that Bauer did anything wrong. If Bauer is open and honest about what, if anything, he did, then I believe he deserves a second chance in MLB. He has served his time (suspension). Will he be punished a second time by prohibiting him from playing ever again? For a "crime" where a prolonged investigation produced no charges? That is completely unfair. We must rise above mob justice, guilt by accusation, and evidence-free, charge-free blackballing of people.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not this **** again. The bolded statement above is asinine. If you’d used the word “illegal” instead of “wrong”, fine. But there is PLENTY of evidence to reasonably determine that Bauer did a LOT “wrong”, plenty of things that would make a team not want to offer him a contract. Just because he served his suspension does not obligate any team to sign him. This is the free market playing out. If Bauer is being legitimately defamed or legally discriminated against, he has legal recourse for that, but that is pretty clearly not the case.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Trevor Bauer? Being honest?

lol

Nook, astros123, IBTL and 1 other person like this.
  7. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Please provide the evidence. Should be easy, since there's plenty of it, right?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bauer has never denied hitting her. He just says she asked him to. You may have a different opinion, but a lot of people (including apparently all the GMs/owners in MLB) think hitting a woman is “wrong” even if the woman asks for it. The heart of this topic is the difference between morality and the law. The court did not charge him. But the league did suspend him (and Bauer has not appealed the suspension that was upheld by the arbitrator or sued MLB for breach of contract). See the difference? Trevor Bauer is not a criminal. But he is the type of guy who hits women during sex and violates the leagues domestic violence policy. And it’s totally reasonable for MLB teams not to want to employ that type of guy.

#28 Snake Diggit, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  9. msn

msn Member

"Now!"

Bregatron and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

So can you produce any evidence? "Never denied hitting her" is not evidence. There is substantial exculpatory evidence that has been made public. Below is a link to some of it... where she was lying in bed with him uninjured afterwards... and texts that literally ask him to do these things to her. Listen, roughing up women is awful under any circumstance, but the man does have rights and the precedent that you are advocating for is something that takes our system of justice back hundreds of years.

https://news.yahoo.com/trevor-bauer-argues-video-shows-052852267.html

I don't think we need Trevor Bauer, but I think he has paid a steep price, served his suspension, and deserves a second chance.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The phone call the woman recorded with Bauer has him admitting to hitting her. In his “denial” YouTube video he was very careful to specifically deny that he hit her in the face and vagina, not that he hit her in the head or hit her at all. If you need more than that I don’t know what to tell ya, since it shows you’re just looking for a way to justify his behavior or ignore it all together.

The man does have rights. Being offered a spot on a MLB roster just happens not to be one of them. This isn’t the justice system you are talking about when saying Bauer “deserves” to be in MLB. This is a private business and the court of public opinion. There’s no new precedent here. You are within your right to have the opinion that Bauer deserves a 2nd chance to play in MLB, but thankfully, to this point not one single MLB front office agrees with you.

#31 Snake Diggit, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Maybe the man has not been convicted of an illegal activity. But one can not question that he is a man of questionable character. I don’t think we need that on our team. I want to see my team get fitted for another ring like any other fan. But I don’t want the Astros to sell their souls to do it.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Except for the fact that he's a human pile of ****?

Nook and Bregatron like this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I rather give Whitley a first chance than Trevor Bauer a 4th chance.

scott_summers and Slyonebluejay like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Appreciate you fighting the good fight... but TJ listened to his podcast and he thinks he's a cool guy. He's also white and TJ hides nothing in his bias towards racial preferences when it comes to judgement.

If this is a minority (Osuna) or AA player, there would be zero "sentiment".

Honestly would appreciate this thread to go to the garbage rather than continue to pop up... and I apologize for extending the link/clicks. As you all were.

cmlmel77, Snake Diggit and IBTL like this.
  16. Mashing

Mashing Member

Bregman would probably beat his ass in the clubhouse. No thanks. Tyler can stay right where he is.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

There was another thread for this. I just do not see the need to rehash. I say let this thread die

Bregatron likes this.
  18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Considering what happened the last time the Astros brought on a guy with major character concerns in Osuna, I'll pass.

Still surprised that nobody wants him for even the league minimum, though, I've seen bigger sacks of **** get second chances.

Though TBH, if the pitching injuries keep piling up, and Bauer vs Belak is the difference between missing the playoffs and making it, I might look back on this differently. For now, no.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Name one bigger sack of **** that got a second chance? Also if using historical examples, do you think that same player would have gotten that second chance in modern day times?

Nook likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Pete Rose, Fergie Jenkins, Roberto Alomar

Vida Blue passed away yesterday. I'm sure yall know who that is.

whiskeyred likes this.