1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Going to Barcelona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuLiO-R-, Sep 24, 2013.

1. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

So I've decided to take a trip to Barcelona this winter for New Years Eve. Lucky for me, I have a cousin studying abroad who I plan to stay with. Has anyone been to Barcelona? Any tips? Recommendations? Must see attractions? I'm a single 25 year old guy who speaks Spanish looking to wander around the city and country. I plan on being there for 2 weeks. I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually been there.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would recommend Museo de Historia de Barcelona. The basement has an excavation of some Roman ruins.

I also recommend taking the Montjuïc Aerial Tramway to the top, Montjuïc Castle. There are great vistas of all of Barcelona.

FWIW I think the young Barcelonians are taught in Catalan while in school (along with Spanish) and you should quite a bit of that during your stay.

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Watch your pockets.

4. DreamRoxCoogFan

Barcelona > Madrid

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

This....

6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Sangria and paella at La Fonda. Outstanding food. Get there a little early BC there's a line out the door for each seating.

Of course, I ate there in 1997. Hopefully it's still doing well.

7. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

It really depends on what you like, but I really enjoyed seeing all of the Gaudi archetecture - Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo, Park Güell, etc.

Los Caracoles is still the best Paella I've ever had in my life - I went in 1993 when I was a teenager and when I went back to Barcelona 4 years ago I went and sought it out again. It is still pretty amazing.

Walking down the Rambla is always a good time. Barcelona is just a fun city, it's hard not to have fun there.

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Cut a whole in your pocket so both of you will profit.

1 person likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Careful around military areas. Or don't be, if that's your inclination....

[​IMG]

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go to a bar called, la Bolsa.

If you are going in January I will be there as well. That's when I do my shopping.

Bring money if you love clothes since it's fashion discount season. ( rebajas)

Stay away from la Ramblas bro. It's nothing special and a den for pickpockets and drug dealers.

Buy a metro card to ride the subway and buses. It's pretty easy to figure out.

Go to Park Güell. It's the best way to see the city and beautiful for pictures.

Take a tour of sagrada familia if you want but get there early because there is usually an hour wait in line

#10 REEKO_HTOWN, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  11. TISNF

TISNF Member

Really cool city. One of the best in Europe. I miss it. :(

Can't add much to what people here have already suggested -- all great places, though I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria (aka: La Boqueria). Closed on Sunday.

But you should go by the market, get some fresh bread, cheese, meat, fruit, etc then head over to the Funicular de Montjuïc, take it to the top for a picnic.

Nightlife...it's great, but can't really offer suggestions. I haven't really spent much time out at night in Barcelona (mainly since the few times I was there I was either with family or a lady friend).

Take walking tours if you're into learning about the history; there's a bunch of free or cheap ones you can find by a little Internet searching. One of them offers a half-day trip about an hour and a half north where you can go kayaking on the Mediterranean.

Random restaurant suggestion: Teresa Carles. Vegetarian restaurant and pretty good juices.

12. carlosc

carlosc Member

Just aimlessly wandering around the Barri Gotic will keep you occupied for days at a time. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the artist but the Picasso Museum is well worth a visit. And I would strongly recommend getting a bus or a train and spending a day in a place like Girona. In fact, you should go to Girona. It's a cool town with an outrageous cathedral and ludicrous views of the Pyrenees.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Walk around aimlessly. As others have pointed out, watch your pockets.
    The food market is a Don't Miss situation. Seriously. Also, walk down to the beach. Very few Real Cities have a beach. Enjoy!

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

bump.

no need to start another thread. "looks like" i'll over there in another week and a half.

anything else to add that wasn't already mentioned? care to chime in, atw?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like this place for Tapas and beer:

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/restaurants/tapas/cerveceria_catalana_in_barcelona

Love the desserts at this place:

http://grupotragaluz.com/restaurante/agua/

There are new clubs, I haven't really been in that city enough in the last few years. There used to be one called Danzatoria on Tibidabo that was probably one of the most amazing clubs I have been to, but they had to close it because of the neighbors, I think.

Would agree that you have to watch out for pickpockets, especially in the Ramblas area.

It's probably still a bit cold there, probably starting in late March or April it could be really nice.

Hope you have a good time.

1 person likes this.
  16. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

dope. thx, at'dub.

big on food. beach... not so much (although we live in galveston), so off season isn't a biggie.

:)

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Bump. Anyone been recently. I went once ten years ago, but am thinking of visiting soon. How is it this time of year?