1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trapped miners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussie rocket, May 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

No but I did hear Kangol the gorgeous Kangaroo and Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter had a baby together.

CRIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the first I heard about it. I remember once when travelling from Australia to New Zealand we had to get off the our airplane and go back into the terminal.

A man had climbed on top of a fueling truck and was spraying fuel everywhere. He threatened to blow up the whole thing. It was on all the news, and in all the papers there.

Once we were allowed to leave, we called our family back in the states, and told them not to worry that we were ok. They had no idea what we were talking about, because it didn't make the news here at all.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

disappointing. CNN were there reporting, and we kept hearing it was making worldwide news. apparently, when the rescue occured- Oprah interrupted her show in progress to announce they had been saved. This was the only rescue of this kind, of this magnitude in history. the guys were trapped in the 1.2x1.2metre cage of their cherry picker, the cage being the only thing that saved them.

then spent 5 full days and nights in that cage, 1km underground, living off rancid water.

they ended up being a total of 14 days underground, after a painstaking rescue exercise they were able to WALK from the minesite, and check themselves out of hospital just hours later.

what gets me is if this happened in the US, it would saturate our news here. :rolleyes:

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I rarely watch TV news these days, so I can't comment on the TV coverage in US. But I seemed to remember I heard it on the National Public Radio, also saw some reports on the Google news (US edition).

6. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I live in Houston and I heard about it nearly everyday on CNN.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i live in the australia and was completely sick with the level of coverage this got and then the bidding war from the TV stations to buy their stories is a complete Travschamockery

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Agreed. But thats just todays world.

Buying stories? what about your hometown boy Lleyton and his wife 'n' kid... :rolleyes:

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I had heard about this story on US major media.