1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Transgender and Sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Jun 26, 2018.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. cml750

cml750 Member

Anyone who knows my posting history knows I am against it but that does not matter now. The left won this battle. I was just genuinely curious how some of you feel about the sports aspect of it. Is this just an unintended consequence? Should a transgender girl be able to compete against females who did not change their gender?

For that matter should we quit separating sports particpants based on gender and let everyone compete against everyone in all sports?

#3 cml750, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I’m actually surprised Kevin Durant hasn’t tried this yet.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

I lol'ed!! :D

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's nothing that will bring out the inner TERF's in some of our friends on the left than instances where a biological male gets to beat the hell out of biological women in combat sports simply because he has a pony tail.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

IMO if it is a man who became a woman, it gives her an advantage, but not the other way around, it is just genetics.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like Joe Rogan's take on it. It's cheating in any other circumstance when the competitive advantage is strength or physicality.

Just google Joe Rogan and transgender. He's mentioned it many times before.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

I would assume that a transgender girl would normally have more testosterone than someone born female (although I could be wrong).

10. conquistador#11

Juwanna mann? It never even crossed my mind.
    What if I told you that Eve could possibly have been the first transgender? She was , after all, created from Adam's rib. just shayin'

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Does it give them an unfair advantage? I have to think it does, though I don't truly know the science of it all.

Tough call on how to treat them. Not really enough of them to give them their own section. If they do indeed have an advantage that is unfair to the female participants. I would still like them to participate though. Personally it would depend on a number of factors, but I'd lean towards not letting them compete in women's sports.

Hermaphrodite/intersex or whatever we are calling it is a more interesting scenario where I'd say they are ok.

Of course is it fair that Kevin Durant is nearly 7 feet tall and I'm only 5'8? No, but the world isn't fair.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that is true. It depends on their age, but let's take a high school age girl of 16, a normal testosterone level would be between 7-75ng/dL a 16 year old boy would have 100-1,200ng/dL.

Basically at any point past 9 years old you are going to have a drastic difference in testosterone levels in boys and girls.Testosterone as we all know, is an anabolic steroid which means that biological males over the age of 9 would have an absolute unfair advantage in competition against biological females over the age of 9. It's one of the main reasons why we keep the sports separate.

cml750 likes this.
  13. cml750

cml750 Member

Oh, I know the science behind it but did not know if a boy who thinks he is a girl would have less testosterone than average or how it would line up against other boys and girls.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Don't care. It will work itself out when the science is in.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not necessarily, they are still biological men and what is going on in their heads has nothing to do with what their bodies are doing. In fact, a big problem in the transgender community is that even with hormone therapy including testosterone blockers most transgender women fail to adequately suppress testosterone levels.

They could believe themselves to be fish and they still wouldn't grow gills.

cml750 likes this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

So it does not bother you when you see a transgender set new records or win titles? You believe it is fair to the ones that originally set the records, etc...? If science does determine they had an unfair advantage would it be fair to take away the records and/or titles?

I am not really really trying to be argumentative here rather just curious.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's such a rare situation that I just don't think about it. It's unfair but it takes time for science and society to flesh out new concepts and ideas. If it were me I'd require competition based on the biology since that is where a drastic advantage in strength and speed can occur. Or maybe they can compete according to gender identity but with a handicap, like golfers get.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is a tricky subject and I'm open to being swayed on it either way.

My feelings on it right now though is that they should compete as their born gender.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are cross-spectrums of gender that's beyond my understanding to debate on (mental, genetic, physiological, hormonal). Beyond our own judgments, what's tough is that it's hard to determine credibility and it's something standards/rules can't be placed atm.

A simpler world would be to just separate between dicks and p*****s, but a lot of trans-gender people go through suicide and insanity trying to reconcile their reality with society's.

For people at that age, I don't think winning is the main lesson...it's just the best motivator. I can't imagine being the parent of a transgender kid hearing the taunts of other parents or their kids regardless of whether they compete in their biological gender assignment.

But the purist in me would really question of the records being made by people who normally didn't compete in those categories before.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think gender should be entirely irrelevant given the loose definition it has these days and things should be separated by sex, something that cannot change. You can be any of thousands of different genders but you can only be 1 of 2 sexes.....or a mutation/birth defect. I think in sports up until the age of 8 or 9, you can just have everyone compete together because at those ages it doesn't really matter, after that they should be separated by sex.

The chemicals flowing through a biologically male individual give them an unfair advantage over a biologically female individual.....even if that doesn't mean that the biologically male individual will always win. Think of it almost as weight classes if you like.

That said, if biologically female individuals wish to compete with biological males despite the disadvantage, they should be allowed to, but it shouldn't go the other way.