1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tragedy] Ohio State Fair Ride Falls Apart

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jsingles, Jul 27, 2017.

1. jsingles

jsingles Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-dead-several-hurt-ohio-state-fair-ride-accident-n786901

There is a video out there, I'm not sure how to add it, that shows when a row of seats on an Ohio State Fair ride literally comes off mid flight. 1 has already died, several more injured, most in serious condition.

I am always wary of riding carnival rides, I just don't see them as safe. Six Flags though, I'll ride them all day, but these carnie rides are ticking time bombs. Feel for the people and their families.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is short but still hard to watch.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yeah not a fan of putting my life in the hands of a chain smoking, 2 toothed, meth'ed out Carney.

Feel bad for the people involved.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That looked like a fairly new one too. Who maintains these things?

5. VanityHalfBlack

Those state fairs man, Jesus. I see them all the time here in Houston. Check the safety of that man.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've always been leery of big carny rides myself. I love going to fairs, but if there's a ride that could kill me if something goes wrong, I try to avoid.

Major amusement parks have huge fiscal liability if something goes wrong. You can always trust somebody that desperately wants to protect their money. They will double and triple check things at the slightest issue. But these little rinky dink mobile fairs, not so much.

7. jae713

jae713 Member

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No carnie experience, but I did operate the rides at Kemah Boardwalk back in the day for a little bit (pre-roller coaster days). And rest assured, I didn't know anything outside of "make sure they buckle up then press the red button." Carnies might know a bit more than that but there's a 0% chance they know how to safely maintain those things.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

mostly only do water parks. more fun

10. PhiSlammaJamma

I've only had three incidents at parks.

#1) This was hilarious. At Universal in Orlando, on the spiderman 3-D ride. And I can't even make this up. Just as electro jammed his wire into our faces ( as seen below ) with electro shock the power went out on the entire ride. Total darkness. The timing was incredible. So we are all just sitting there thinking this is one of the greatest effects of all time. Then after about 10 minutes in the dark we hear Jonas Jameson over the loudspeaker saying they are working on an electrical issue for the ride and everything will be just fine. Sit tight. When the power comes on we could see the entire set up of the ride which was pretty cool. We continued on normally and when we got off we all got a free express pass for the park for the rest of the day.

[​IMG]

#2) My size 14 foot got stuck in the log on the log ride at Universal Park in Orlando. It was like Kevin Bacon on the tractor in Footloose. I couldn't get out and had to go around again. Then I was able to take my shoe off and unsuck my foot out of the crevice at the end of the second ride.

[​IMG]

#3) At Busch Gardens in Tampa Florida on the octopus like ride the device that holds you in your seat was not working properly. My Dad was barely able to keep me in my seat. I was flying up big time. Scary as hell for a little kid.

[​IMG]

#10 PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Damn, that's terrible. I've been on just about every carnie ride and always thought 'hmmm, this is kinda sketchy'. Never again.

12. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

This is why I ain't about that bunjee jumping life either... hell naw