1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 9, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This team is terrible and doesn't seem to have any future all NBA level players on it.

Young running out of lives in Atlanta due to

No defense.
    No passing
    Being a jerk/bad teammate
    Bad shooting this year

Still he's much better than any player we currently have

I'd pretty much start with.
    Gordon (salary)
    Smith or Green or Sengun
    Tyty
    Martin Jr (can head to a 3d team)
    Draft picks (both Brooklyn 1sts, Milwaukee 1st)

That's a lowball offer but hard for Rockets to trade own picks due to Stepien rule. Can put in some swaps.

Also if they want KPJ get rid of him

I know people will say "no we don't need Trae Young he's a jerk, he will never win a title, ECF lucky run is as far as he'll get"

Probably true - but guess what, this core doesn't look like it has what it takes to even meet that low ceiling. It lacks a true centerpiece and unless Victor joins it won't have one.

Ubiquitin, napalm06 and cheke64 like this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

I'm sold

3. SamFisher

Well yeah you gotta buy low on guys. Hopefully there's a redemption arc at play

I mean, fron today on out, who goes to more all star games - Trae Young or every single current Rocket combined - that's probably a 50/50 bet at this point

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're not getting a fresh 5 year/ $215 mil super max to the rockets. There's no lowballing that

5. SamFisher

The salary for this year works out if you do the trade i have above.

Gets more complicated later, then you have to start throwing in negative value contracts like 'team friendly " KPJ

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't see this as remotely possible. Atl is locked into Trae for better or worse. They're not just going to punt what they invested in all of a sudden. If anyone is going first it's Nate. Atl is a team happy to get into the playoffs. And in the East, they're a playoff team

harold bingo and BallSoHarden like this.
  7. SamFisher

Probably not but Amick reported the entire team hates Young

harold bingo and burlesk like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

good for them. the "team" will go before Young lol

9. xaos

xaos Member

So let's say we trade Green and picks and the other players you mention. Then what? How do we build around Trae with our picks owed to OKC next 3 years and most of our assets depleted and no star free agents this offseason...

10. SamFisher

Maybe but the situation is supposedly pretty toxic - basically all of the leaks to make Young look bad come from inside the team, but he is buddies with the Hawks version of Pat Fertitta so he thinks he's untouchable.

Anyway i didn't say it was likely I'm just trying to figure out what you'd give.

IMO even a tarnished flawed star is way beyond anything the Rockets potentially have.

11. SamFisher

Whatever from the 21-22 draft classes is left over (Eason, Sengun, whoever)

The 23 FRP.

Rockets own pick in 25,27

FA signings.

Young

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean Trae is an all nba guard. Comparing that 19 year old kids isn't exactly ideal when they're not winning anytime soon and trying to figure out what they have in these kids for the future. We know what Trae is already and is who he is

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Trades for another star would require cashing out the BKN picks.

Green, Sengun, and Smith are going nowhere.

I don’t see Atl as a good partner as they just cashed in their future for Murray to pair with Young and they are in the thick of the playoff seedings. Now if Young demands a trade then I could seen them first looking at something like Kyrie. Trading for our package would be rebuilding. However they would at least be replenishing what they lost in getting Murray.

So basically the trade from ATLs perspective becomes Young for Murray play better picks and more pieces like KPJ, KMJ, Garuba, Jaygup, etc.

That’s the way I would sell it if I were Stone.

14. xaos

xaos Member

So we rush our rebuild to become a lesser ATL... COOL

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You forgot something, mate.

16. MystikArkitect

I'd trade for Ayton before trading for Trae Young. Sengun + Gordon + Martin they'd entertain. He's not happy there.

KPj is this team's biggest issue and this team won't be any good until he's off the team or in an extremely diminished role. Jalen could be the next Steph Curry or could be the next Jamal Crawford but it's still too early to tell and again....KPj. I can't overstate enough how bad our PG play is. It's some of the worst PG play the NBA has ever seen. I can't even properly assess Jalen until KPj is gone. And if this team believes that KPj really is the future then none of this matters and we're all just wasting our time emotionally invested in this rebuild. Which might be the case anyway considering the owner we have.

GotGame15 and Rolliepollie like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Link. I would've never thought that

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If buying low involves sending out half of our rotation, then it’s not low enough.

I actually get what you’re saying, but I would be cautious about such a trade as long as Silas is still here. His stock goes down in my eyes with each passing day.

If you make that trade and Young has to play under Silas and the rest of the team got to play under a real coach(es), Young would be surpassed fairly quickly on the All-Star totals.

19. SamFisher

I don't see the school of thought that says these guys are untouchable.

Green - Sure he's 20. He's also regressing and honestly looks lot like a great athlete who has yet to, and may never master, the finer skills like dribbling and passing wo turning it over, his outside shot is not very good to the point where it may not be just a slump. This all pains me bc im a big Green believer last year

Smith - projects to top end elite 3D player, not quick fast springy enough to be a complete franchise player like Paolo, e.g.

Sengun - listen, we love him but, this is where the whole "unplayable in the playoffs " knock comes in. Not to say he shouldn't play now, it just keeps him from being objectively assessed as untouchable.

Right now today I'd say Banchero and Mobley are untouchable from the last 2 drafts. Everyone else is touchable

kingjosh likes this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t have a link, and may be referring to a different article, but I recall it being said that in the current spat with McMillain, if the team were forced to take a side, he felt like the majority would take McMillain’s side. It didn’t say they hate Young and it was specific to one event. Again, there may be additional reporting that I missed. But if the entire team hates one player, I think they have to be moved.