1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Josh Christopher is mistake

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 4, 2023.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

You can say want you want but he wasn't given a fair shot under Silas. I'd be less pissed off if somebody had outplayed him but it was freaking Daishen Nix who was taking away his minutes which made no sense at all. We never had the opportunity to assess his ability objectively after a stellar rookie season.

Jaygup to me, all things considered, is still an interesting prospect who will be better than Amen Thompson.

Now Miami has their eyes on Jaygup...You know you f'd up when Miami targets your player.

2. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Yeah, better than Amen... this is insanity.

3. ilias

ilias Member

Don’t know about him being better than Amen, but there’s still a potential NBA starter (or high-end rotational player) in JC. He was outplaying Green at times in their rookie year. Him and Tyty not getting any burn last season is inexplicable, a coaching malpractice. Dropping both for cap space is just bizarre.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

stone is a god damn fool

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cut him some slack and let the dry hump boy gain experience by learning from Marcus Smart.

Lunareste likes this.
  7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

His garbage time mixtape was fantastic .. We really messed up

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Maybe. I remember watching JC in the NBA Combine scrimmages and not wanting anything to do with him. His BBIQ is limited, but if his mission is to only score and play defense he can be in a rotation. He's young and could still develop, but likely would have been end of our bench.

I'm still butt hurt we took him and Garuba over Quentin Grimes. Grimes would fit this team so well with his shooting, defense and BBIQ.

9. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Definitely the one of the group I wanted to keep.

bballjunkie likes this.
  10. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I knew we had too many young guys and a couple would have to go. I just wasn't prepared to not get anything other than cap space for them.

4 young guys with potential and all you could get is cap space and (2) 2nd, after giving away (2) 2nd. Just unbelievable.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I would have just dumped KPJ to OKC and keep TyTy and Jaygup, tbh.

BallSoHarden, Rokman and kjayp like this.
  12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I don’t know what Stone sees in KPJ but I thought Jaygup was equally as effective as a scorer. KPJ’s ego is a big problem and will never accept a bench role. It’s only a matter of time he pouts.

13. marinara

marinara Member

JAYGUP better at going to the basket than Jalen tbh.

apaet from that he needs a lot to work on and I’m his biggest fan apart from @Williamson

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

[QUOTE="Shark44, post: 14716869, member:
    I'm still butt hurt we took him and Garuba over Quentin Grimes. Grimes would fit this team so well with his shooting, defense and BBIQ.[/QUOTE]

100%

Grimes would have been a nice wing next to Green.

vince, BallSoHarden and Shark44 like this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dont think JC was given the opportunity to be properly developed... dude wanted to step up his game... instead of channeling that passion he seemed to be ignored imo...

silas and lucas too busy holding kpj's hand and massaging his fragile ego to provide adequate coaching to the other facets of the team imo... @DaDakota

#15 kjayp, Jul 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    bballjunkie likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He has an NBA body, NBA athleticism and NBA ability to finish at the rim

and as of right now that’s it, he was the biggest black hole on offense on the entire team last year, he’d routinely get cooked on D despite making nice individual plays often enough, and the outside shooting just wasn’t there

He’s very young and it’s totally possible he overcomes all of those weaknesses, but Houston can’t commit to developing 11 guys under 22 at once if there plan is to stop tanking, structuring the team like that lead to clear chaos on and off court.

Rockets moved all the non key young players, it doesn’t mean the guys we kept will be successful, it doesn’t mean the guys we moved are failures, Rockets just had to make a decision with the direction we’re going in.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

This whole fiasco should serve to reset folks valuation on late frps... what 4 1st rd picks for basically a wash to nothin?

thats pretty much 4 years of frps for a mid level team.... returning nothing but filling some minutes (and bench space) on cheaper rookie scale contracts...

this is why I'm most always in favor of trading draft capital for a proven commodity.

everybody thinks they're gonna strike it rich in the draft - thinkin they're gonna draft Kawhi... its such a snowballs chance in hell of actually striking gold... more often its just a waste of a pick, payroll and time... id rather have Battier! lol

18. marinara

marinara Member

Assement management tho.

We didn’t even give them enough minutes to see what they would be.

How about all those minutes Nix played instead of TyTy to be waived then we dump TyTy, Grauba AND future assets because we thought we were getting brook Lopez lol dhit like that is why stone will get fired

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He had no pathway to playing time with KPJ and Green ahead of him. He’s talented but he needs a lot more time to develop. Until he improves his shooting, I don’t think he’s a rotational guy, but if he does improve his shooting, he’s gonna have a good career as at least a serviceable role player. We played guys like Matthews and Nix ahead of him, tanking his value, which was good after a solid rookie year; ultimately we got nothing for him. It’s a real lesson in mismanaging a prospect. But it’s one of many disappointments over the last 5 days.

BallSoHarden and leebigez like this.