1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade with GS is best option available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Jul 13, 2006.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Looking at the different teams and balancing their needs with ours it seems as if a trade with GS is the only situation where the two teams get something they need. Tha trade looks like this:

TMurphy and Pietrus for JHo, Sura, and RyBo plus our unprotected 07 first round pick.

To me the benefits for us should be obvious TMurphs shootting would provide spacing for Yao and he is a good rebounding. Pietrus brings youth, athleticism, and length to the backcourt. It would also give us a very flexible team.

Big lineup:

Yao
    TMurph
    Battier
    Tmac
    Alston

Smaller quicker lineup

Yao
    Battier
    Tmac
    Pietrus
    Alston

For GS, they have a glut of PFs and they get some cap relief/flexibility. JHo is a decent backup PF, and if Sura plays we all know what he can do and if he can't then they gain cap relief through his retirement. RyBO is nothing more than a throw in to match salaries. The obvious benefit is an extra pick in what is supposed to be a very deep draft. This allows them to add two potentially quality players or package the picks to move up to obtain a player they really like.

I don't envy CD in the least. The list of FAs in mediocre and there are VERY few teams that have salaries and players that match up with our tradeable players. To improve we have to give up a pick, period. It is the only thing we have of value that we would actually trade. I don't know if GS does the deal but I think if I were GM I would push for it HARD! Even though we give up a pick in a good draft year both TMurph and MP are younger players. Additionally, we still have the MLE or VSpan perhaps and the TE to help
    improve.

A second option is a two trade package of Jho and RyBo for TMurph followed by a second deal of the 07 first rounder and TE for MP - if MP's salary works with the TE. Gives GS the extra flexiblity of a TE vs a player (Sura).

#1 stevel, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd jump at this trade but I'm pretty sure if CD called Mullin and offer that the next sound he'd here would be 'click.... dialtone'.

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

No way GS does that. They can get far better value for either Murphy or Pietrus. If they were to send us those guys, our pick has low value, as it's very unlikely it would be above 20.

4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

GS is trading 2 good players for 1 average player, 1 horrible player and an injured player. I guess the draft pick is nice but I dont think they would do it.

5. Guru

Guru Member

That's true, however there are rumors that GS is interested in Al Harrington of the Hawks. If that plays out, i don't think they would want howard unless, they move Harrington to SF.

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i hope your not in sales. why would GS think about doing that? If we could get those players for a pile of crap, that'd be great. Unfortunatly Carroll Dawson doesn't work for golden state, he works for us.

7. wink2cat

wink2cat Contributing Member

Not to sound rude, but why in the hell or how in hell are you going to justify GS doing that trade?

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what if we throw in luther?

would GS have been interested if we offered him the 8th pick plus whoever to get murphy and pietrus?

9. stevel

First off TMurph is a nice PF for us, but we have center that can score in the low block, and few other teams can say that. TM doesn't have a back to the basket game at all. He prefers to hit jumpers, not necessarliy what you want from your PF unless you have a 5 that can score inside. I think he fits well for us but maybe not as well on most other teams. Additionally, that have a bunch of 4s right now. MP is a nice player but I don't think that they get a ton for him.

If you did the second trade option (the better of the 2 options) at the bottom of my first post they get a decent backup with a much shorter and cheaper contract, a TE, and an unprotected first round pick in what is supposed to be a great draft.

I have seen similar trades go down already, Chandler was traded for an ancient PJ Brown and a SG that was constantly in his coaches doghouse.
    Remind me what GS traded to get B Davis -crap! Who would have thought that we would have gotten TMac for SF, CM and Cato. We got him because we took a crappy contract as well. We got MJames for Reese freakin Gaines and a couple of second round picks. What did ATL get from Det for Wallace - crap!

Trades are not always about the players involved, you have to take cap ramifiactions in to account as well. GS signed TM to a long contract that is kind of expensive, and then they draft 2 PFs the next year - why do they do this if they are high on TM? Maybe they get better offers, maybe not. I guess it depends on what value GMs assign first round picks.

10. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

The stupidity of some of these posts amazes me. Lets get Golden State to give us 2 of their top young stars for our old, overpaid, and injured players! It's a great deal for both teams....

Come on.... :rolleyes:

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

In other words, we say...

"Hey GS, give us the players we need to make a title run and we will give you a crappy draft pick, a good backup PF, and a couple of expiring contracts on crappy and/or injured players."

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, to be fair, absent of other deals around the league, I could envision a rationale for the Warriors doing something like this. J-Ho's contract is 2 years shorter than Troy's, and smaller. I don't see why they'd give up Pietrus, though. They'd probably like to get rid of Dunleavy, or Fisher, though.

This trade seriously hurts our already weak depth, but with the TE and MLE still available to split on players like Flip Murray, Ariza, Qyntel Woods and Marcus Banks, among others, it could work:

GS Trades
    Troy Murphy
    Derek Fisher

Houston Trades
    Juwan Howard
    Bob Sura
    Luther Head
    Ryan Bowen

13. stevel

GS's top stars are BDavis and JRich not TM and JRich's back up, Idiot! If they love TM and he is one of their "stars" why did they draft 2 PFs last year? Teams covet good players, cap flexibility, and draft choices. The deal I proposed gives them 2 of the three, flexibility and a draft choice. Again, trades are not always about the players invovled in the deal. They traded crap and got Davis from the Hornets, Det traded crap and got Wallace from the Hawks, and we traded crap and got Tmac.

#13 stevel, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  14. stevel

How do you know it is a crappy pick? Who would have thought we would have had a top 10 pick this year?

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Dude, nice thinking but why TMurph? That guy is just not good enough to play for the Rockets! I agree with Pietrus, I like that guy and he would give us more athleticism plus length to the backcourt like you said. But give up our 1ste round pick 2007? No way, dude ... the guys in the 2007 draft are much better than this year!

16. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

umm, let's stay off the dro. outside of JRich, Pietrus and Murphy are two of their youngest, most talented players - if they agreed to this, then there'd be riots in the streets of Oakland.
    i thought you were a rookie after i read the trade scenario.

IN BEFORE THE LOCK.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Derek Fisher has been traded to the Utah Jazz.

I think the only reason Golden State wouldn't laugh CD off the phone is that they realize that they overpaid for Troy Murphy. His contract is HUGE (he'll average ~$10-11M per season, long-term), and Golden State cannot become a contender at this point without going WAY over the luxury tax threshhold unless they can dump Murphy's and/or Dunleavy's contracts.

As for Pietrus, although GSW likes him, he is stuck behind a bona fide star player in Jason Richardson. Plus, Pietrus is coming up on free agency and will probably leave for nothing, as GSW would not be able to afford him without going into luxury tax territory.

Any trade with the Rockets (who can offer both a $4.2M TPE, a $1.7M TPE and Bob Sura's "possible salary cap relief" contract) would be PURELY for financial reasons, not for basketball reasons.

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Murphy is too expensive for the Rockets...

19. stevel

Since you went to A&M Ill explain this to you S-L-O-W-L-Y. First, BDavis and JRich are their studs, TM and MP are role players. If they love TM and he is one of their most talented and youngest player then why draft 2 PFs last year? Truth be told TM is a good, not great PF. He has zero inside game and is a defensive liability because he is slow. He fits well for us because we have Yao to score inside and he would provide spacing. JVG is an excellent defensive coach and should be able to scheme to help cover up his defensive ineptitude (I know that word may confuse you coming from A&M but if you sound it out slowly you should be able to figure out).

BTW, were there riots in NO when the traded BDavis for crap? How about ATL when they bascially gave away Wallace to Det?

20. stevel

This is exactly why this trade isn't completely out of the question. It would give them cap relief and a first round pick. They overpaid TM and MP is stuck behind a young very talented JRich.