1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade scenarios to acquire Rashard Lewis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

This is a pretty radical trade scenario, but I thought I'd play around with it anyway.

Houston sends Rice/KT/Willis (S&T @ $3 mill per year, for 3 years) to Phoenix.
    Houston sends Taylor/Moochie/Collier to Seattle.

Phoenix sends Joe Johnson to Houston.
    Phoenix sends Hardaway to Seattle.

Seattle sends Baker/Drobnjak/Rashard (S&T @ $10 mill) to Houston.

Now, for the explanations.

While Houston is moving 6 players, only two (Moochie/KT) were integral parts of last years rotation. Willis may or may not be resigned. Collier, Taylor, & Rice have all been mentioned by the insiders, as being available & with the acquistion of Maddox, Moochie could be made available.

Baker's contract is one year shorter than Taylor's, but is $5 mill per year larger. However, Baker has been very durable (except for last year) throughout his career, is a better rebounder, is 2 inches taller, & has a higher FG%. He is though, 5 years older than Taylor.

Johnson would give us the backup SG we need. Drobnjak would give us a better low post game than Collier & provide depth behind Ming & Cato.

Finally, Rashard would give us a great one-two punch at SF with Nachbar, assuming that Nachbar is all he's been hyped to be. Also, before you say it, I know that many of you don't believe Lewis is worth $10 mill, but if he were to resign for one year with Seattle & become a FA again, next year, he'll most likely get the big contract he wants. Remember, the majority of the teams are preparing for the big FA acquisitions next year & there will only be, so many big time players available.

Phoenix would be able to move Hardaway, which they've been trying to do for a while, & beef up their front line with veteran experience in Rice/Willis & the heart/athleticism of KT. With the drafting of Jacobsen, Johnson could possibly, be available.

Seattle gets to move Baker & replace him with the PF they really wanted, in Taylor. They also pick up a veteran backup PG in Moochie, a solid SG in Hardaway (who finally, appears to be healthy) to combine with Barry, & a young, hustling center with better shooting range than Drobnjak.

Houston's new lineup would be:

C: Ming/Cato/Drobnjak
    PF: Griffin/Baker/T-Mo
    SF: Lewis/Nachbar/T-Mo
    SG: Mobley/Johnson
    PG: Francis/Brown/Maddox

Can you think of any other trade scenarios to get Lewis?

#1 Hottoddie, Jul 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2002
  2. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

It seems to me that the only way Lewis will be wearing Rocket pinstripes this season is by signing for the full MLE with one of those "wink wink" understandings that the Rockets seem to have been in the habbit of offering lately. I think magement is committed to both Mo T and KT, although it will be an enormous challenge to keep everybody happy with their minutes.

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I am really no anxious to get Lewis and I am no cap expert. We can sign him with our Mid level; but Seattle could match that right? I do want to pay Lewis more tha $8M per year. So I would offer to trade for him in return for Rice and Tmo. Seattle would get a SF whose salary frees up $8m in two years plus a SF with good potential. We get Lewis at $8m per year. If Seattle really wants him and do not mind paying him $8m then we would not be able to get them to trade him. I do think the combo of Rice and Tmo can make Seattle give up Lewis if Lewis really do not want to be their.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That post was very hard to understand.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is true. And I think it is now apparent in the league that the Rockets TAKE CARE of their players that sign with us for the MLE. Mo Taylor and Shandon Anderson signed for it and were taken care of. That is a nice track record and other players in the league see this. It makes our credibility that much higher and the likely hood of us continuing to get good players for the MLE since we take care of them on the backend.... Just as long as we don't have anything in writing like the Wolves did ;)

Chris

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry but I dont think Lewis has a place on the Rox.The Staff seem to like our team as it is now, with the exception of some minor tweeking! I felt very sorry
    for Lewis the way the Rox treated him at his Draft Time but I dont think he deserves anything like the maximum. He is a good player not a star like Magic, Jordan, Dream, Shaq or Bryant. He isnt even in the second strata -Kid, Garnet, Duncan etc. Even Garnet is overpaid!

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That deal won't happen because there's no way the suns trade Johnson. Their future involves Marbury at thepoint, JJ at SG, Marion at SF, and Amare at PF. All they need is a starting center and they are looking like a scary team.

8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

No way do I want Rashard Lewis at more than 6 mil per year max- he is not worth it. I do not think Mo Taylor is worth more than 6 mil per year either - we paid too much.

Forget about Rashard- he has no interest in coming here- he is Chris Webber all over again Playing the Rockets - feigning interest-stroking his ego and getting attention from other teams. I am curious what Wally Walker will sign him for. He is stupid and crazy if he signs Raashard Lewis for Max money or more than 6 million per year.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Let's take this retooled Rocket out for a test ride around the moon and back before we start tinkering on the main thrusters. We could add a new fin here or decal there, but, really, right now this ship needs a shakedown -- not a shakeup.

Portland made the mistake of having two starters at every position before realizing all the squabbling over PT and "stardom" destroyed their chemistry.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Ok, this Lewis acquiring has been getting out of hand. Just like in the other previous threads, WE DON'T NEED TO MESS WITH THIS TEAM! This team, w/ the players we got in the draft, fill our holes that we were lacking last season. Bringing in Lewis and trading off key players would screw this team up even more. JUST LEAVE IT LIKE IT IS!!! All we need is like a backup SG like Buckner from Dallas.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I can't really think of any scenarios to acquire Lewis... Anyhow, I think your trade proposal sucks ass for Sea. They get a player they once cut (Moochie) who is overpaid. They get an IL fixture in Collier. They also get a big contract, for an overpaid, lazy, fat guy in Mo Taylor. Sea does get to dump Baker, but Baker is still better than Mo.

Also, Phx really has no use for Willis, as they are clearly rebuilding. Obviously, this applies for Rice also. With that being said, Joe Johnson is one of the pieces to their future puzzle. I know they get to dump Penny's contract on Sea, but why would Sea trade 2 of their 3 best players, for the overpaid contracts from the Rockets?

If we did somehow acquire Rashard, surely Sea would ask for the rights to Nachbar, seeing how Sea would need a replacement for Lewis...

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

True, they cut Moochie, in his second year, with 20 games & about 200 minutes under his belt. He's since developed into a nice PG.

Collier was injured his rookie year & the injury carried over into his second year. He came back on December 18 & either played or was available for the remaining 57 games. In fact, he played in 19 of the last 26 games of the year & got double digit minutes in 14 of those, with 8 games of 20+ minutes, 6 games of 10 to 20 minutes, & 3 games at 9 minutes each. That doesn't sound like an IL fixture to me.

While it's true that Taylor put on a lot of weight during the off season, if you had been keeping up with the local news, you would know that he's been working real hard to get into game shape & has reportedly lost a good deal of that weight since. Taylor is anything, but lazy. I'll even go so far as to bet you, that he comes into training camp in better shape than Cato.
    He's 5 years younger than Baker & makes $5 mill less per year, as well. I guess that makes Baker even more overpaid. Oh yeah, one other thing, Seattle would've signed him away from us, if they could've found a taker for Vin Baker.

Phoenix has no size on their front line. They've got the 2 Jakes playing center & neither one of them has really shown anything. They traded away their only true, healthy PF, when they traded Rogers. Googs hasn't played much over half a season since the 96/97 season & Stoudemire most likely, won't be ready for 2-3 years. As for Johnson, you might be right about them being unwilling to trade him, but if I'm going to give them KT, then I want Johnson in the deal. They just drafted Casey Jacobsen, which could allow them to move Johnson.

Maybe you heard of a kid they drafted last year by the name of Vladimir Radmonovic? They also have another athletic SG/SF by the name of Desmond Mason.

Why don't you do a little research next time, before you decide to tear a deal down? At least get some facts to back up your position.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Hottodie- Actually, I do know who Vlad Rad and Des Mase are. Too bad Des Mase can't shoot, and too bad shooting is the only thing that Vlad Rad can do...

Regardless, of whether I knew who they were or not, the trade still doesn't make much sense from Phx or Sea's perspective. Maybe YOU should do some more research into Phx and Sea's roster, and what they need/want.

It's funny that you are able to conjure up a way for the Rockets to get the best 3 players in that trade, Lewis, Baker, and Joe Johnson (for the future). While, Phx and Sea just collect the trash from the other 2 teams. I feel like you are vastly overrating the teams doing what they can to dodge the luxury tax. From a financial sense, I guess that deal makes sense for Sea and Phx... But...

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We're not going after Lewis and there is no way of getting him. End of story.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Not true, imo. Everything else in your post is spot on tho.

Does this trade even take into account Lewis's BYC status? I doubt it.

same ole, same ole.

16. haven

haven Member

Vlad Rad supposedly has all the skills to be a nice rebounder, and is a better defender than most of the Euros.

17. Kenogu

Kenogu Member

Rashard Lewis plain and simply sucks.I hope he stays in Seattle. I'd rather have bostjan Nachbar start at SF than Lewis. Just my opinion.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The trade doesn't work capwise because Lewis will become a BYC player as soon as he signs a Seattle contract (even for S&T). I believe this would also be the case for Willis in this scenario.

There are only 2 ways the Rockets can acquire Lewis.

1) Lewis takes the MCE - don't hold your breath.

2) To S&T Lewis, there must be a team under the cap to assume the excess $. Pheonix is over the cap and can not. Only the Clipps, Bulls, and Wiz (and maybe the Pistons) can absorb salary.

#18 GATER, Jul 8, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2002
  19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If ya'll like to bi*ch about Cato, wait until Vin Baker comes here. The guy's fatter, lazier, and even more overpaid than Cato. Did I mention, he's a whiner too? All this trouble just to get Baker doesn't seem worth it to me. Besides, we're waiting for the trade deadline to deal Taylor, so he'll have time to increase his trade value.

20. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I was under the impression that you can not include 2 - "Sign and Trade" players in the same deal. At least as far as two teams trading eachother "sign and trade" players. Is this incorrect?:confused: