1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade idea for MoT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Dec 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I personally hate MoT. He didn't not bother me as much when he was knocking down shots in previous years. After scouring the depths of realgm the only possiblity I can see would be the following:

MoT
    Deke
    05 1st
    to Philly

Dalembert
    KT
    Skinner
    to Rocks

A possible variation could be :

Spoon
    Deke
    TE
    future 1st

for the same players listed above.

I guess it would depend on what Philly wants, cap space or a draft pick next year. Philly could use Deke in the middle, and taking Mo allows them to clear up some longer term contracts in Skinner and KT. The Spoon TE version really gives them more cap flexibility.

KT could work pretty well for us. He can shoot with some range, and while he lacks ideal height he boards fairly well (over 30 double-doubles last year) and places pesky D. Dalembert gives us a young big (this is why I might be willing to give the 1st rounder. SD might be able to play along side Yao for some minutes (ala Cato).

Flame away if you'd like. We HAVE to find away to improve our rebounding though. It is going to be tough to get a better deal than this (if this is even possible).

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont see the 76ers doing that deal. I think that deal boils down to Dalembert for our 1st rounder and to them that isnt enough.

On our side though, getting YOUNGER playeres in Dalember and Skinner is a positive, even if you have to take on KT's terrible contract. To get younger we might have to make some moves where we take on a bad contract just to get a younger player.

But I dont see the 76ers making that deal. They could get more for Dalembert in my opinion.

The 76ers would be better off trying to move Dalembert to the Sonics for Radmonovich or something like that.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don’t like the idea of having both KT and Juwan Howard’s contracts. Those are some very long contracts (both 5+ years left).

Plus, Dalembert is a free agent after the season, so we may lose him and it kind of looks likes he’s regressed this season anyway.

We can’t keep trading away our draft picks every year. Pretty much every successful team in the NBA became successful by making good draft decisions. If this management can’t make good draft choices, then they need to be the ones shipped out not the draft picks.

4. stevel

You are probably right, but this is the only thing I could see that COULD possibly work. Maybe as teams get closer to the deadline we could get in on a deal. Every year it seems that they are some real head scratchers out there. If we're lucky maybe we could be in on one, and come out on the positive side of the deal.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

The rockets already turned down an offer for MoT including their draft pick. I think they intend to keep MoT and trade him in the last year of his contract and use that 05 draft choice. I think this is smart. MoT's contract is so large we will get screwed trading him unless someone gets cap relief (last season). Additionally, having a cheap, young rebounder is optimal IMO. Keep the draft pick!

With Reece Gaines out next season, we should be able to shore up a bit, even with all three of our overpaid PFs.

6. stevel

Dude, name one organization that has hit on every draft pick they have made. Beyond the few can't miss prospects the draft is a very inexact science. Who have the Lakers drafted that has turned into a total stud in the last 10 years? The Clippers make terrific choices in the draft, but every year they suck. Utah, SA, Dallas, and a few others have done pretty well over the past several years, but that is like 10% of the league. Most of the elite teams get players via trade and FA. Sac didn't draft one of their starting 5 except Peja. Most of Phoenix's team was built through FA or trades. Indy - trades and FA, Detroit - trades and FA. The list goes on and on......

Our management is nowhere near as bad as everyone is making them out to be. Every organization goes through periods of good and bad times. We made changes because we wanted to be a championship level team, not a Utah Jazz type team that makes it to the show but can't win the big one. I have no problem with what is going on now. I am as frustrated as everyone else, but I knew we weren't going to compete for a championship this year. Winning teams have chemistry and that takes time to achieve. It doesn't happen overnight. Plus, unfortunately our needs (a PF and a PG) are tough to find.

7. stevel

The Rockets didn't want to give up their pick for a very old PJ Brown. KT, Dalembert, and Skinner, are fairly young. Cap relief will not help us because we will never be under the cap as long as we have both Yao and T-mac.

I am not adverse to keeping the pick, but I think this trade could help us in both the now and future. Maybe they would take a future first:)

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I would be surprised if MoT was moved anywhere but Toronto. If Toronto gets desparate to unload Rose and can't find any other takers such as Miami then I think they would do a Rose-Marshall deal for MoT, Deke and whatever. For us to move Mo without giving up the pick, we are gonna have to take back a huge contract.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I meant cap relief for the team taking MoT.

Heck, I'd be happy with Badiene. *ducks* He sounded like a work animal.