1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by gunn, Jul 21, 2004.

1. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

With Major League Baseball's trade deadline 10 days away what directions will Gerry and the Astros take?

With these names I've compiled I would like to discuss a little word association concerning these players and topics and the team's direction and hear some of your thoughts on what you want to happen or what you think the Astros will do in the immediate (before deadline) or near future (after deadline i.e next year).

Brad Ausmus
    Jeff Bagwell
    Carlos Beltran
    Lance Berkman
    Craig Biggio
    Taylor Buchholz
    Chris Burke
    Raul Chavez
    Roger Clemens
    Morgan Ensberg
    Carlos Hernandez
    Jeff Kent
    Mike Lamb
    Jason Lane
    Brad Lidge
    Wade Miller
    Roy Oswalt
    Andy Pettitte
    Tim Redding
    Willy Tavares
    David Weathers
    Tommy Whiteman

Drayton
    Gerry

...or in general

team goals and directions (positive and negative)
    the bullpen
    starting rotation
    the defense
    youth/age of players
    lineup
    manager/coaching staff
    minor league talent pool
    team speed
    player personalities (positive and negative)

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

random thoughts:

i don't think anyone would take bagwell or ausmus....neither has performed well...and both have contracts that have them drastically overvalued at this point of their careers. i would say ausmus is my least favorite astro.

beltran is an obviously tradeable commodity...and sans some pretty strong indications from him that he wants to stick around, i'd start shopping him right now.

kent could be tradeable, i suppose. wonder if he has a no-trade clause, though? not sure he'd be willing to waive that at this point.

clemens isn't going anywhere. not sure if he'll play next year, but if he plays baseball at all this year or next, it will only be in an astros jersey.

wade miller -- i don't know what to do with this guy! i certainly wouldn't commit big dollars to him.

i don't see tavares as an opening day starter next year. the guy is still in AA ball. i'd like to see him on the AAA squad soon, though.

lidge remains the closer.

burke is your starting 2B next season.

i personally don't get real excited about jason lane as a prospect.

3. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Yea Max I don't see any thing special about Lane either.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions.

4. spence99

spence99 Member

I would definitely trade Beltran at this point. Also, I would try to get Kent to waive his no trade and try and trade him.

Hopefully you can get a few prospects that may be ready for the majors next year for them because other than Burke, we don't have much down on the farm.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

6. MadMax

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

It is definitely time to have the fire sale. Get rid of everyone that you can and get some prospects.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

9. MadMax

welll...ummmmm...hidalgo had a good week.... ;)

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Now that the deadline is less than 48 hours away I thought I would bump this thread to get everyone's thoughts and opinions on what the Astros should do.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Bobby Abreau, Kenny Lofton, Curt Shilling, Steve Finley, Luis Gonzalez, Richard Hidalgo.

12. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

The time seems to have come for the Astros to make some tough calls. At this point I am convinced that Beltran and Kent should be moved. I really wish that Miller wasn't injured so we could move him as well. By moving Beltran and Kent, I don't think the Astros would give way to competitive baseball. In all honesty, I believe they could still play competitively, whether that means going for the wild card, now that's a different story. But the Astros desparately need prospects, and if we don't aquire any while we have a chance, our forseeable future does not look bright.

13. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

johan santana, loretta, mora

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's too early to say on Richard Hidalgo, however, it was obvious from his post that MadMax was referring to players in the last few years.

15. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i don't care about 9 and 10 years ago. You can make a similar list for every single team. I was referring to guys in the last 4 to 5 years.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

every single team in baseball has a list of guys they've given away to get something for immediate impact.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're wrong. Only the Astros and Stooge McKlan has done that...

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Damn expansion draft. Too bad the front office thought Hildalgo would turn out to be better than Abreu. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

19. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

IIRC, the Astros kept Derek Bell also, instead of keeping Abreu. Like the addage goes... Hindsight is 20/20.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That guy was a nutcase. If memory serves though, Bell at that point had had a couple of good years in a row.