1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tostitos BCS Championship Game: No. 1 Auburn vs. No. 2 Oregon

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Dec 4, 2010.

?

Who will win?

1. Auburn Tigers

53.9%
  2. Oregon Ducks

46.1%
  1. Shaud

Shaud Member

Agreed their playcalling was not good tonight.

Darron mad some bad throws. Cam also missed a throw that would have put the game away tonight.

Both QB's missed some throws that would have been easy Td's. Cam missed more of them tonight but lucky for him they were able to run the ball tonight.

2. zakirh

zakirh Member

Weezy FF Fire Flame Spitters

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

A lot of missed opportunities on both sides all night. Neither offense played that great. Tough to lose on a fluke play... I was looking forward to overtime.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think it was bad playcalling by Oregon so much as Thomas was making the wrong decision on some of the read plays.

5. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

This was a terrible game, hard to watch at some points. Both teams played poorly, in my opinion.

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Nice job representing the SEC, Auburn.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

But that is their offense. They do not have that many plays or formations, they just run them really fast in rhythm with fast players in space. It is essentially the Phoenix Suns of football. It works for a regular season when it is hard to prepare for it, but not when you have 6 weeks to strategerize. It works when he faces inferior competition but not when you face good teams (Boise St. in 2009, Ohio St in 2010 Rose Bowl, Auburn 2011 BCS)

That is why they brought out some of Chip Kelly's old New Hampshire formations to mess with Auburn, but it was only a handful plays that were predictable and not run cleanly.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not at all what I expected. Relatively boring game. Newton didn't seem all that special. Oregon really didn't impress me. Didn't seem like their plays made sense at points. Why they kept trying to run up the middle is beyond me. That Farley guy, now he impressed me. What about him on the Cowboys or the Texans? The defensive backfields on both teams were better than the Texans.

9. Mr. Space City

I really don't see what this has to do with them trying to run up the middle all night into one of the most dominate tackles in the game.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Both teams took themselves out of the running by winning in week 17 but he probably is not going to be there at 5 or 6 anyways.

I think he might crack the top 3 with another dominating performance. The broadcaster tonight said something like how will Fairly look in Carolina blue?

11. plates300

plates300 Member

I believe the Panthers have the first pick this year.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It is extremely relevant.

When you have a limited playbook in which nearly every single running play is some form of option or zone read, it is extremely difficult to develop a rushing attack against a dominant DT.

In most of those formations, the QB is reading the OLB or DE who can make sure to stay at home to watch the QB when they know they players like Fairley to make sure to blow up the inside run. Since the LB/DE is staying at home, "correct read" is to give the ball to the back to run inside. However, Fairley would then just eat them up because they could not block him.

However, that is Oregon's offense. They averaged ~300 yds rushing a game with that playbook. However, you do not often face DT who played like Fairley has the last half of the season, and they did not prepare rushing plays that would counter him.

13. AB423

AB423 Member

anyone know why this was shown on espn instead of any local channels?

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Because the BCS is greedy.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

And so we reach the end. A new season will soon be right around the corner ;) :p

Final AP Poll:

1. Auburn
    2. TCU
    3. Oregon
    4. Stanford
    5. Ohio State
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Wisconsin
    8. LSU
    9. Boise
    10. Alabama
    11. Nevada
    12. Arkansas
    13. Oklahoma State
    14. Michigan State
    15. Mississippi State
    16. Virginia Tech
    17. Florida State
    18. Missouri
    19. Texas A&M
    20. Nebraska
    21. UCF
    22. South Carolina
    23. Maryland
    24. Tulsa
    25. N.C. State

16. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

Just got back from the game? Am I still drinking too much SEC kool aid?

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

On some level, the stinkitude of this game was probably influenced by the absurdly long wait between the regular season and the "championship", IMO.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't know what game you guys were watching but I loved that game.... it had everything. Hugely entertaining.

19. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

horse**** - his wrist was down and everyone (including Dyer) initially stopped playing - I blame the refs for not blowing the whistle. How the play got past replay is beyond belief to me.

[​IMG]

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Word.

I don't even understand why they wait til New Year's Day, let alone the 10th of January, to play these bowl games.

In an ideal world, they'd play them the last weekend before Christmas and the "title" (lol no such thing) game would be on that Monday.

But no, we have to make room for the Meineke Car Care Bowl.