1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torture, and detention at Guantanamo[The U.S. Declaration of Independence]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Jan 9, 2005.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know there has been a lot of discussion about whether the people in detention are entitled to the rights of American Citizens, or conditions set forth by the Geneva convention.

Those arguments really bother me, because to me it assumes that those who make them don't believe in our nation's own declaration of independence.

I will quote the relevant part.

It says that the gifts are endowed by a Creator and not by a nation. So the fact that they are not citizens doesn't mean they shouldn't be entitled to the rights our citizens have. Those rights are given by their creator and not by any one country.

Furthermore it says they are unalienable Rights.

Why does our President's choice for Attorney General, Sec. of Defense, apparently our own President, and many others who agree with denying these people their rights not want to uphold the words of our Declaration of Independence?

I'm sure someone else will have a different take on it than I do, and might be able to help me understand.

Liberals are accused of saying different values apply to different people in different situations, and don't just have a 'either it's right or it's wrong attitude.' Well apparently our country's founding fathers believed that certain things were either right or wrong, and given to all folks by their creator, and not by a particular nation. But it is the conservatives that want to say detention without being able to see a lawyer is wrong only some of the times, or torture is only wrong some of the times.

I disagree, and so does the U.S. Declaration of Independence.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Nice thread, I am not surprised to see that the usual suspects are simply ignoring it.

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Thanks Andy, I'm really confused on this. To me it seems simple. Either you believe in the Declaration of Independence and therefore believe that rights don't come from our nation, but something higher, and would be for ALL men. Those who hold that view would therefore be against the kind detention going on at places like Guantanmo and elsewhere, or you disagree with the Declaration of Independence and believe that those rights really are only meant for some.

Of course the all the mudslinging going on, people who defend the rights of those Guantanamo are often accused of not loving our country.

None of it makes sense, and I was hoping some of the posters who are more hawkish on the issue might have some thoughts.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

So are you saying conservatives are liberal and liberals are conservative?

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm saying that conservatives usually make the argument that things are either right or they are wrong, and criticize liberals for trying to have too many shades of grey. Yet with some things conservatives are trying to say it is right for some people to have these rights and it's ok for others to be denied the rights.

I don't think it is so much about conservative or liberal, but about our declarartion of independence, and where people come down on it. In this case it appears to me like those that believe in the words of that document would be against the kinds of detention going on, as well other things like torture, etc.

When arguing about such things the folks on the hawkish side will often say that the people aren't American citizens and aren't entitled to those rights. I believe that does not follow along with what our declaration of independence says, and that they are going against what our nation stands for. Yet, in this case, it is those against the detention without representation and trials, are trying to follow the words our forfathers wrote when declaring the United States to be independent.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think you have this entirely reversed and that's why you find me so perplexing.

Are you suggesting that we do away with all incarceration because that certainly alienates someone's liberty... not to mention their pursuit of happiness?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No, I'm not saying we do away with prisons. I'm saying that we don't hold someone in prison and not allow them to see a lawyer, or have trial by a jury. Those rights shouldn't just be for American Citizens. If you believe in the declaration of independence then they should be for everyone.

I'm trying to talk more about the dec. of independence more than conservative or liberal. But I will say that conservatives in this case want some people to have those rights mentioned above, and don't want others to have those rights.

8. giddyup

It certainly is a complex and regrettable issue.

Here is what you wrote: "It says that the gifts are endowed by a Creator and not by a nation. So the fact that they are not citizens doesn't mean they shouldn't be entitled to the rights our citizens have. Those rights are given by their creator and not by any one country."

Doesn't the language of the Declaration just deal with the inalienable rights (Life, Liberty, and Happiness) and nothing about lawyers et al?

We are clearly willing to abridge those "unalienable" rights under the wrong circumstances. Terrorism seems to me to be one of the worst circumstances.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The right to a lawyer, trial by a jury of peers etc. are directly related to and part of liberty. Liberty shouldn't be lost until we honor those rights.

The Declaration says that because another government was restricting the rights endowed to all men by their creator we were going to form a new nation that would honor those rights. Now it is this administration that is causing those rights to be restricted.

Terrorism is a horrible circumstance, but a government that doesn't honor inablienable rights is a far more dangerous thing. It was why our founding fathers fought and died to start a new nation. Terrorism is a reason why should hold onto those rights more fervently, not less so.

10. giddyup

I can understand your motivation for wanting to see it that way. It is a purist argument. However, I see the risks of these matters in an open court as grave.

See, you are the one who sees black/white not shades of gray. :D

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah I was saying that this is one case where the roles seem kind of reversed between conservative and liberal. I think there are some things that I do believe there is only one right and one wrong, but on other issues I don't believe I'm able to hold everyone else to my standards.

When it comes to things like our declaration of independence, I guess I do see it as black nad white.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I don't think its just 'conservatives' that do what you describe. How many 'doves' have argued strenuously that rights are universal, as you do, and then say we should 'mind our own business' when dealing with oppressors in other places? Quite a few, IIRC.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Franchiseblade, I don't think appealing to the US Constitutiton will phase those who in their bones don't think Arabs/Muslims are truly equal. If the morality of great religions doesn't do it and they are content with not even counting dead Iraqis, as we claim not to do, I just don't think that the Constitution will cause them to wake up. After all, for years people claimed to love the Consitution and even the S. Ct. found slavery was constittuional.

14. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Yep, it's all in the "interpretation" unfortunately. Church and State are the same in this regard...the interpretation always fits an agenda.

Remember, the detention of Japanese in America during WWII? Many of those detainees were children.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's true. You are correct.

But like I said the main point wasn't about conservatives vs. liberals, it was about following the declaration of independence, and which side is more closely following those words.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes this another example of tossing the dec. of independence aside.

I don't know if it is in the interpretation or not. I think people are disregarding the words all together more than interpreting them differently.
    It seems hard to interpret those differently.

17. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I agree that the writing is straight-forward and that people are disregarding the words all together. Makes you wonder how the judicial system is silent when these things happen.

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I thought he was talking about the Declaration of Independence.

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I think the answer is 'neither.' Both 'sides' pick and choose when to uphold the words and when to discard them. Singling out 'conservatives' for doing this 'more' than liberals is overlysimplistic at best.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not denying this is true. I think it is wrong when anyone does this.

But I am curious. What do see as an example of liberals doing the same thing?