1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No use.

@heypartner needs you to prove that Kawhi was on that conference call and it came from the horses mouth not his Uncle/Agent.

Whatever agenda you have hp, I don't see how this guy goes from just a few days ago someone reporting that he has no desire to be in Toronto and now somehow he's changed his mind and is ok with the move.

He wants to go to LA. That's it.

2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

After seeing that the crowd of "The players are all actors and everything has been determined 20 years in advance" got a lot more convincing, that level of failure is impossible by any team that tried.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx for the vid. That's pretty much what Carter said earlier, which @J.R. transcribed on Page 13 (8:30 am) Don't hear anything about his group responding to the trade with negativity other than saying Pops was supposed to call them and keep them in the loop.

I'm not trying to be petty here. There's a big distinction I'm looking for wrt will he even report. Toronto and their fans know he might not resign. But did he disrespect the city to imply he might not even report...like a Steve Francis move?

What I'm trying to get at is simple: not about whether he will resign with Toronto next summer (which their GM knows is no certainty), but whether he has made a comment about disliking the trade, yet.

4. heypartner

sry if I didn't make it clear...I thought I did.

What I'm trying to get to the bottom of has nothing to do with whether Kawhi will resign with Toronto or not. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the talk about him hating the trade so much he might not report.

There is a huge distinction. The first case is just like PG13. He wants to sign with LA, and the new GM and fans are aware. (That's the info you and justy have shared.) The second is a drama on the level of the Steve Francis/Vancouver fiasco.

I'm looking for evidence of #2, not #1.

Do you get the distinction?

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If Kawhi and his team thinks he can sit out this season and happily walk to LA on his own with no professional repercussions, he’s a fool. His “team” needs to stop talking to the media, and he needs to repair his image through his play.

As for the trade itself, it’s a good deal for both sides. Toronto had maxed out with its Lowry-DeRozan core, and the Spurs get an all-star caliber player in return, a first round pick, and a young big with a lot of promise (especially defensively).

rockets1995 likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's too fresh.

No one should expect him to come out immediately after the trade goes down to make a statement on whether he would be reporting to the team.

There have been plenty of tweets stating what the consequences would be of not reporting.

Obviously the answer to your question is no, since many of us were providing sources that stated he didn't want any part of Toronto.

Now, well, who tf knows.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Toronto is such a beautiful city...main issue I have with it is that it’s way too damn cold for me

da_juice likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Talk about Awkward Gregg Popovich and Kawhi Leonard are in Team USA soon.

9. heypartner

Thx...sry this got confusing.

Read DVauthrin's comment above. This thread is filled with comments like that, and so is twitter. That is describing a Steve Francis-level drama (or DMo). I feel like I missed something. So, I was just asking if we've seen any comments from KL's camp disliking the trade so much that they might not report.

Answer is No, then. At least so far. And you'd concur, right @justtxyank ? We haven't entered to drama territory of Francis or DMo, yet. It's still on the PG13 level of a star player traded with the new GM knowing it might just be a rental.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

11. omgTHEpotential

Will LaMarcus Aldridge be there?

12. heypartner

13. omgTHEpotential

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kawhi talking?

[​IMG]

;)

Kawhi Leonard Reportedly Talking To Other Stars About 2019 Free Agency Plans

While Kawhi Leonard has been silent with the media, Bruce Arthur of the Toronto Star said on the Back To Back Podcast on Wednesday that he has been in conversations with other impending 2019 free agents about possibly playing together.

"One thing I was told last night is that Kawhi Leonard had already been planning out his free agency for next year and he had already been in contact with other star players in the league and saying 'Hey, where might you want to play with me? What are we looking at?'

"It wasn't just L.A. he was talking about," added Arthur. "Brooklyn was maybe somewhere. They're going to have a ton of cap space. That might have been a possibility.

"So Kawhi has already been thinking ahead to pairing up and playing at a highest level."

The 2019 free agent class includes Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant.

everyday eddie and malakas like this.
  15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

For the record, Woj was just interviewed on ESPN and said Kawhi will report to training camp with the Raptors.

16. heypartner

Yeah, and that's not even enough to quell concerns that he won't give 100% to Toronto for this year.

Big question now is: Will he show up with Green in Toronto soon for a Press Conference and introduction with GM/Coach?

Paul George did (on July 13th)...and nothing but positives about being in OKC. "I'm excited to rep those three letters." "I'm not looking past 2017/2018 ... but right now we and Russ have something to build now." Keep in mind, this was months before Melo, too.

This press conference is his chance to start repairing his image for demanding a trade, if he wants. Considering the city loved DeRozan, he's got to make a comment that he looks forward to helping Toronto make it to the Finals, this year. And he's excited. If he doesn't, this will be a loooong year. :)

#516 heypartner, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  17. blackistan

blackistan Member

Surprised SA didn't get more for Kawhi

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

thank you. don't suck in the playoffs and you might get to stay. and you know how toronto showed him loyalty? when they gave him that 9-figure contract.

19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Can Harden and Paul recruit Kawhi Leonard while on Team USA? We'll see

20. raptorsguy

raptorsguy Member

I'm so happy.

malakas likes this.