1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top Five FootBall Players of All Time?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Almu, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You forgot Giorgio Chinaglia (sp?). He was a bad man in the old NASL for the New York Cosmos!

2. Manny Ramirez

It's funny how the Broncos made it to 3 SuperBowls under Satan and lost each one worse than the one before. Then, lo and behold, the best coach in the NFL, Mike Shanahan is available (thanks Al Davis) and the Broncs go 2 for 2 in SuperBowls under Mike the Mastermind. Funny, how I don't ever read or hear about the Broncos not being able to win a SuperBowl!!:)

3. Manny Ramirez

Who's Brian Pillman? Wasn't he a wrestler that died a couple of years ago?

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Its too bad Warren didn't get to play in the nfl right from college. Easily one of the most underrated players beacuse of it, even though his numbers speak for themselves.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

WARREN MOON :D
    and any four receivers (Ernest Givens, Haywood Jeffires, Chris Carter, Jake Reed, for example)that he played with- that's your best "skill" position offense.

Defense - Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Ray Childress,
    Sean Jones, Derrick Thomas

My faves.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Yeah, he also had a short stint with the Bengals' defense. Despite being dramatically undersized, he was one of the most explosive players the team had ever seen. Unfortunately, an injury cut his football career short.

7. chuck taylor

chuck taylor Member

Warren Moon won't make the Hall of Fame. He was not a leader, and did not perform well in big games. I would list all the QBs that were better than him, but I don't have time.

8. Kodinh

Kodinh Contributing Member

quincy carter

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Oliver Luck

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

And if he had Duper And Clayton and not the 3 Amigos. Smith and McCaffrey made his job easier though. Also, if he would have played in a warm weather stadium.

11. gr8-1

Broncos were clearly overmatched by all 3 of their nfc counterparts. Those Bronco teams were average, imo. In fact, I think they had no business beating Cleveland in 87. I think Cleveland may have been better that year.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Det,

No GEORGE BEST?

The man that Pele said was the best soccer player of all time.

Disgraceful.

DaDakota

13. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

fadeaway,

It was "The Icky Shuffle" named for Icky Woods.

-------------------------
    My Top 5 (In no order)

Montana
    Rice
    Payton
    Campbell
    Taylor

14. Hydra

Hydra Member

Moon, most passing and total yards in pro football.
    Thorpe, what didn't this guy do, also a NA tribesman, a rarity in the NFL.
    Montana, the comeback kid, I can still see the TD pass to Clark.
    Randle McDaniel, one of the only offensive linemen I could think of off the top of my head.
    Sapp, a truly dominant defensive tackle, and always among the leaders in sacks.

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Imagine how many Super Bowl rings Dan Marino would have if he played with Terrell Davis. At least Elway's 2. IMHO there is no comparison about who to pick if given the choice, Marino.

And Elway had some very productive seasons under Reeves. Elway fans always give him 'credit' for getting to and losing a lot of SB's, but you always dog Reeves. How does that make sense? Without Reeves, Elway may never have made the strides he did. And you always complain about this illusion that Elway did not pass a lot and Reeves wouldn't let him open it up. What about the Super Bowl when Elway hits the bomb on the first play from scrimmage (Washington). I'd call that opening it up. What about all those yards Elway passed for? It simply doesn't add up.

And one more thing...the one thing Reeves consistently tried to do was establish a running game. Strange but its the same thing Shannahan tried to do. So you like Shannahan because he DID make the running game the priority, and you hate Reeves because he DID make the running game a priority...hmmm...

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

My top 5 list of players I have saw:

1. LT- He changed entire offensive philosophies.
    2. Anthony Munoz - He dominated like no other OT.
    3. Jerry Rice - Always found a way to get to the ball.
    4. Walter Payton - Sweetness, enough said.
    5. Larry Allen - May be remembered as the greatest OG ever.

I am not a fan of Barry Sanders. He never carried his team very far and left his teammates hanging with his impromptu retirement.

17. gr8-1

You're citing one play in a Super Bowl where they were severely manhandled as "opening it up." Reeves coached Elway for what, ten years?

Yes, they both tried to "establish the run," but Shanahan's offense is clearly better than Reeves. Terrell Davis isn't the only back to do well in Mike's system, Anderson and Gary have both been successful.

Make no mistake, the recent Bronco teams are definitely more talented than the earlier Super Bowl years, but coaching matters.

From the games I watched, Reeves played conservatively for 3 quarters, kept it close, and then Elway won the games.

BTW, you know Reeves fired Shanahan, right? I wonder what that was about.......

18. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

1. Jim Brown
    2. Jerry Rice
    3. Anthony Munoz
    4. Lawrence Taylor
    5. Dan Marino

RUNNERS-UP

John Elway
    Mike Singletary
    Bob Lilly
    Gayle Sayers
    Ozzie Newsome
    Earl Campbell
    Joe Montana
    Darrell Green

#38 RichRocket, Sep 7, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2001
  19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

WHAT, NO AL DEL GRECO?????

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Warren Moon won't make the Hall of Fame. He was not a leader, and did not perform well in big games. I would list all the QBs that were better than him, but I don't have time.

You are kidding right? I'm not saying Moon is the greatest QB ever, but to say he dosen't deserve to be in the Hall is downright disrecptful. I struggle to think of any QB that has accomplished so much with so little.

Did he ever win a title? No. Well, Dan Marino didn't either, and his receivers were better for the majority of his career. Moon was surrounded by midgets in a gimpy offense with no TE, and his best receiver.....Jefferies....was a big time choke artist. Isn't it ironic that no receiver that played with Moon in Houston was productive after they left the Oilers?

Elway won two titles, but zero before T. Davis came on board to play behind one of the league's best offensive lines. I wonder how many rings Moon could have won if he had a running back. If you think Moon didn't perform well in big games, then how do you explain Elway's Superbowl chokes in the 80's, before he got a running back?

Aikman won three rings, but he had Emmit Smith, Irvin, and one of the most talented teams ever before free-agency really hit. It's kinda wierd that the Cowboys started to suck once all the help was gone (old Emmitt, fat O-line, doped up Irvin). I guess Troy just got old huh? It's not like Moon didn't play until he was 41, with a weaker line for the majority of his career.....meaning he took more hits. But hey, it's not like migraines forced him out of the game.

Brett Farve? See Aikman. Good numbers, but notice the team loses once the supporting cast is delpeted.

Montana. Damn, he was so clutch. Or was he lucky enough to play with the greatest receiver ever, and have possibly the best coaching staff ever. I don't see how too many QB's can look bad throwing to Jerry Rice. Jones, Clark, Lott......hell, SF was stacked just like Dallas. Hell, the 49'ers were so good that they ran Montana out of town and his backup won a Superbowl. What did Montana do once he left SF for Kansas City? The same as Moon. He took his team to the playoffs and lost.

Who else is left? What....Bradshaw? Yeah, he won quite a few titles with the Steelers. I guess having a SET of Hall of Fame receivers dosen't hurt, not to mention a Hall of Fame running back. The TE was good too (did he make the Hall.....I am not sure). Best of all, he played with arguably the best defense ever, so if he screwed up they could always get the ball back for him.

I'm not saying the above QB's suck (there are other greats but those are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head), but football is a team sport more than any other, and the pieces have to be in place for a player (especially a QB) to be successful. I think Moon's NFL accomplishments are amazing considering he was blackballed from the league for many years simply due to his race, yet his numbers (NFL numbers) are still up there with the great QB's. Their numbers don't surpass Moon's by much if at all, and the ones who won titles obviously had more help than he did. It's not as if the Oilers sucked during Moon's tenure. They made the playoffs on a regular basis, and most teams can't say that.

Hell, Moon (and Cunningham) should get into the Hall just for opening the door for all the young, black QB's that you see in the league today. They definately would not have been given a chance if those two didn't shatter the negative images about black QB's.