1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 players in the league entering the 2009/2010 season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jul 24, 2009.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

its
    1. yao ming
    2. Yi
    3. Sun Yue
    4. Sun ming ming ( o wait, not in the NBA)

jk real one

1. Queen james
    2. Kobe/wade
    3. Kobe/wade
    4. Roy
    5.tmac lol i believe

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Howard was the top defensive player on arguably the top defensive team. His offense is very raw. IMO, he's a better (offensive) version of a young Deke- type. Getting to the finals is no small feat. The Magic didn't make it inspite of him, but because of his presence on both ends. I can't name any other player who effects the game on the defensive side and force the opposition to sag on him on the offensive side more than Howard. It's false logic to presume that Gasol out played him in the finals. It was Howard vs constant double teams which should have = open Magic teammate(s). In the Celtic's series, the Magic did not make a concerted effort to keep feeding the ball to Howard until Game 6, after he demanded it more. Admittedly, Howard does need to develop some sort of a goto move, shoot better at the line, and pass better out of double teams. In all, he needs to perform more consistently. I have a hard time believing that Howard, while putting up 20 points, 15 rebounds and 2.6 blocked shots in the playoffs, was being outplayed or matched up by anyone. Very hard time.

3. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

1) Lebron
    2) Kobe
    3) Chris Paul
    4) Wade
    5) Dwight Howard

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

So on a serious note you have Brandon Roy and Tim Duncan over LeBron James? :confused: :confused:

I like KG but saying he is still dominant when he was never really dominant to begin with is crazy. He's a very good PF but he is far from dominant.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

1.Kobe
    2.LeBron
    3.Wade
    4.Paul
    5.Roy

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I like how so many people are putting Kobe #2 or #3. Its as if they did not watch the postseason last year.

7. sbyang

sbyang Member

I watched most of the Boston series, most of the Cleveland series, and most of the finals. Howard dominated Cleveland, he had troubles in the other two series. The celtics only had Perkins and baby to guard Howard, and they did match him for stretches, Howard was not a difference maker in that series. I'm guessing that you saw what happened in the finals.

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Watch or even look up game 6 (when the Magic adjusted their strategy) and 7 against the Celtics then say who the difference maker was that propelled the Magics to advance. In the finals, the Magic had open shots due to the attention given to Howard. Howard's offensive shortcomings are apparent, however, in all the series the Magic were in, there was one constant: Howard was the best and most impactful defensive player. Perhaps I value defense much more than you do.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Please post Howards post seasn numbers if you will. If every player in the league was a free agent, howard would go no lower than 5. Hell, he might go before wade to be honest considering how his teams have won 50+ games with him being the best player.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Howard's youth and future potential is a big factor in your point. But if every player in the NBA were available to be drafted for next season only, I don't think Howard would go in the top 5.

11. jason3333

jason3333 Member

lebron, d-wade, kobe, durant, and d.howard

12. jason3333

jason3333 Member

by the way that is no slight to paul or roy, man thats a hard one to do, they could easily have been in top 5

13. mazyar

mazyar Member

Durant is my most favorite player in the league. I consider myself Durant's #1 fan on this site. Having said that I don't think he is in top 5 just yet. I put Wade ahead of Kobe. I have to give some love to Deron Williams. Desite playing for the Jazz, I enjoy watching him play very much.

James
    Wade
    Bryant
    Howard
    Paul

Duncan
    Roy
    Dirk
    KG
    Durant

Deron Williams

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think there are several of us who feel this way.

15. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Yeah, because we all know whoever is the best player on the champ is automatically the best player in the league going into next year.

If the Rockets win game 7, Kobe would fall out of many poster's top 5 or worse. Don't be suckered into the all-too-easy/ubiquitous assumption that the postseason system and its subsequent result are foolproof. Draw conclusions about the teams from it, but those conclusions are not inherently applicable to evaluating the value of the parts that comprise it. Evaluate players for who they are, not the part they played in the sum.

It's almost as if you did not watch the regular season last year.

1 person likes this.
  16. mazyar

mazyar Member

Just becuase I'm bored, and to make a statement of how stupid ranking players could become, I'm gonna give my top players videogame ratings just like those in NBA2K10.

Lebron 99
    Wade 99
    Kobe 99
    Howard 98
    Paul 96

Duncan 95
    Roy 94
    Dirk 94
    KG 93
    Durant 92

DWill 92

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

18. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Considering the source, I have never been more flattered.

/shameless display of cabbage affection

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I've never been one for mutual masturbation, but your flattery in the face of my flattery is very flattering.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When Durant gets his team to .500, then we can put him in the top 10.