1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Petty and the Ticking Clock

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

"The waiting is the harrrrrrdest part..."

Trying to get work done. Must work. Must pass the time. Must stay focused.

Ok, let's just be honest...

WTF IS GOING ON????

<b>I'M GOING CRAZY OVER HERE!!!</b>

<font size=1>please help me</font>

2. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Jeff,

Fret not, I have a feeling we may know a lot more by this time tomorrow. ;)

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Jeff,

I know what you mean, I'm at work, I'm getting something done, kind of, but let's drop the BS, I keep checking in here for something, anything, AARRGH!

B-ball freak,
    Are you just holding our hands and saying soothing words, or will there be some news soon?

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Both

If an announcement is not made, hopefully the insiders might give us a sniff.

5. Live

Live Member

Deep breath in,....

HOLD,.....

...and EXHALE! ;)

Just relax guys.

This is the 'sexless' part of the show, the negotiating, number crunching, legalese segment. Not as camera or media friendly as Rudy T walking the streets of Shanghai, but the 'meat-and-potatoes' of the story.

Relax, have faith, and keep day-dreaming. :D

6. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Jeff,

I ( Refresh ) know ( Refresh ) exactly (Refresh ) what ( Refresh ) you ( Refresh ) mean !!!! ;)

S.J.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL! No kidding!

And people wonder why the board is running so slow! ha ha.

sorry clutch! ;)

Chris

8. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

I have all this on the brain as well...While ordering at the McDonalds drive-thru today, I said, "I'd like to take that 20 oz coke that comes with my value meal and PARLAY it into a 42oz. Coke". The guy on the other end of the speaker replied, "we don't have parfaits, that is Dairy Queen". Obviously, the guy wasn't a BBS participant and I'm not a McDonald's regular.

To think, there's only one reason I was at the McDonald's drive thru today, the need to get back to check the BBS for new info (read: Insider) info.

GO ROCKETS!!! In RUDY we trust!!!

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes, I would like a McMing happy meal please. :D

CHRIS

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

bballfreak: I left you a message. You gonna return my call or leave me hangin'? :)

11. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

That's some funny stuff SJ! Or is it sad that it pretty much describes what alot of us are doing?

At least alot of you guys are in H-Town where you have several secondary Rocket news sources like local radio,TV,etc. Those of us on the outside live for whatever scrap of info we can find on the web. Thank goodness for Clutch and his crew and the Rocket posse on this site!

BTW,in case anyone's interested in SA's interest/angle on the Rocks drafting #1....there's barely a mention of it here. For that matter there's barely a mention here of anything that's not Spurs,Spurs,Spurs,Cowboys,or Spurs. Did I mention Spurs? A couple of radio jocks did mention last week that the Rockets evidently were drafting Yao. They chuckled at how the "poor Rockets" catch a break in the lottery but in a year when there's no Duncan. They also mentioned that Wang is MIA and that it would/could affect Yao even coming to the NBA. That should give some idea as to how aware/up to date most of the media here is on sports outside the realm of the Spurs!

As for the Pollyanna outlook on the Spurs,everything is rosy,Kidd will sign here next year and mentor All World Tony Parker,Kandi Man can be easily had if the Spurs so desire to replace DRob,and the best part,of course,another Spur(Steve Smith)won the Sportsmanship Award! And another division banner to hang up. All the stuff the local media loves to bring up again and again and again. Heaven forbid they should say anything negative about the Spurs. The last columnist that did that got run out of town.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Most negotiations or deals are not finalized until the parties are up against a deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to the wire, with the China letter being faxed on June 26th.

What else are we waiting on, the FIBA approval?

13. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Jeff/Roxtxia,

I'm wit ya man!

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but .........

Well, here it is. The Rockets do not know what they are doing. That is not to say that the Rockets don't know what they are doing, as in incompetence; it means that they are not set on a single course.

Latest info is as expected.......
    If negotiations work out - draft Ming. If not, trades are on the table. Issue with trades again falls to same thoughts as before - exactly what is Krausse going to do and what is he willing to pay for to get what he wants. Fortunately, all feel we are the drivers here.

Memphis is weighing heavily on everyones minds. Initial concern regarding West and the Clips. Fortunately, cooler heads see this as very unlikely given similar team structure at strong points and bad blood/history when both located in LA LA town(GM vs. opposing owner). However, middle man deal a real possibilty. West sees results of last year's draft and possibility of similar end-product with multiple picks and deeper draft.

You can bet the farm that the Rockets will be proactive in orchestrating a deal on the q.t. if red star negotiations do not work (I personally do not expect them to work out. Lots of choppy waters ahead).

We shall see.

When I have more I will let ya'll know.:cool:

14. milo

milo Member

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I knew something was wrong!
    :mad:
    Do you know what any of the offers on the table ROCKET!!! ??

milo

#14 milo, Jun 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2002
  15. ROXTXIA

ROCKET!!!,

I have wondered about these things, of course; part of me wants Ming on the team, part of me doesn't. If Krause actually wants Ming, that'd be a great bargaining chip.

I am wondering now: are the trades you mentioned before (LAC/Chicago/Houston, then Houston/Memphis) contingent on one another? It is obvious from what you have posted and from what the immortal Tribune writer (what's-his-face) has written (West would like late-lottery draft picks).

Of course, if such trades are contingent on one another, big deal, Lucille, they can still happen. But seems to me Jerry West wants his hands on those later draft picks.

Why would the talks fail? And if the Rockets don't get Yao, then who? Da Bulls? What with Krause basically saying he knows the Bulls could sign Ming, no problem? Good Lord, is Troy Baros correct after all? A potential Chicago-Houston-LAC trade?

Not to jump the gun. We might or might not Ming. I just have always harbored some skepticism.

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Ok, throw a dog a bone. I'm dying over here.

Rocket - what are these potential trades that you're talking about. I'm new to this stuff. Most of the good info is in this forum, not the college and nba draft forum.

Chi/LAC/Hou? and then Hou/Mem?

DYING. ABSOLUTELY DYING OVER HERE.

Fox just reported that negotiations btwn Rox and China are "progressing" but nothing definite.

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, it has gone from "The Rockets have no interest in Yao at all, despite what other insiders and the Rockets themselves say."

to

"If things can be worked out, Draft Yao...but they will not work out."

?

I guess I am just slow.

18. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Along the same line, could someone provide a link where ROCKET!!! has actually earned his bona fides? I'm drawing a total blank.

19. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Um, Yea.

Never typed by me rimbaud. Try Troy on that one. :rolleyes:

20. ROXTXIA

Yes, grummett, I'm sure ROCKET!!! went through the secret NBA Mafia made-man ritual. That would make him a stool-pigeon, I guess. We'll find his body in a cemetery with a dead canary in his mouth. :)