1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Jun 23, 2021.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Didn't see a thread for it but after seeing a few athletes qualifying I'm looking forward to watching how they perform on the world stage.

If you have athletes you recommend watching or are rooting for please share.

Yung-T and KingCheetah like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Gabby Thomas is fine AF.

DreamShook and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’ve got to get that tank top these guys are wearing right now for the floor gymnastics

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

At least half of them in the lineup were men.

Which makes her win even more impressive.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

She just ran the second fastest 200m ever.

Her story is interesting as well in the second video, I'm rooting for her.

Gabby Thomas won the women’s 200 meters at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials, running 21.61—the best time in the world this year, a new meet record, and the third-fastest time ever in the event. World record-holder Florence Griffith-Joyner (21.34 and 21.56) is the only woman in history to run faster than Thomas.

Thomas, 24, won the national title a little over a month after finding out she had a tumor in her liver. After the race, Thomas said she was worried about the possibility of having cancer while competing at the Olympic Trials. But just a couple of days before she left for Eugene, she learned the tumor was benign.

“I remember telling God, ‘If I am healthy, I am going to go out and win Trials. If this is not cancer, I will make this team,’ and that’s exactly what I did,” Thomas said.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a36852312/2021-olympic-trials-womens-200-meter-results/

DreamShook, Yung-T and KingCheetah like this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the mixed (male/female) relays they are adding are intriguing, but from what I've read, the best athletes might not compete in it because there are simply too many events

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

8. KingCheetah

Richardson is out because of a positive mar1juana test.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

weed the speed enhancer ... comes a time when you should just throw some old world nonsense out.

11. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

She did take ownership of her decision but sucks to hear. She's 21 years old and she smoked weed after her mom died recently.

A lot of pro athletes and others in the sports world spoke out about it. Whether weed should be considered an enhancement or not:

Patrick Mahomes, others speak out after Sha'Carri Richardson's mar1juana suspension

Ryan Young
    ·Writer
    Fri, July 2, 2021, 4:16 PM·4 min read

Plenty of people were outraged on social media after track star Sha’Carri Richardson was suspended after she tested positive for mar1juana last month and is now unable to run in the 100-meter dash at the Tokyo Olympics.

Richardson, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said Friday, accepted a one-month suspension after testing positive for THC at the trials. She has since been retroactively disqualified from the trials, and will now not be able to compete in her signature event in the Olympics later this month.

Richardson confirmed on "The Today Show” on Friday that she ingested mar1juana days before the trials, shortly after she learned of the death of her biological mother. She also apologized to fans and sponsors.

"I know what I did, I know what I'm supposed to do, what I'm allowed not to do," she said. "And I still made that decision."

White House addresses Richardson’s suspension
    White House press secretary Jen Psaki was asked about Richardson’s suspension on Friday.

While she praised Richardson personally, Psaki said that the White House was not involved and will not get involved with USADA’s decisions.

"This was an independent decision made by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, not a decision that would be made by the U.S. government, as is appropriate," Psaki said. "We will certainly leave them the space and room to make their decision about anti-doping policies that need to be implemented.

"I will also note that Sha'Carri Richardson is an inspiring young woman who has gone through a lot personally, and she also happens to be one of the fastest women in the world, and that's an important part of the story as well."

Patrick Mahomes, others slam Richardson’s suspension
    Even though mar1juana is legal recreationally in 19 states, including the one where Richardson used it before the trials, the World Anti-Doping Agency still considers it a “substance of abuse.”

Naturally, Richardson's suspension didn’t sit well with many on social media after the news broke.

#11 OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    DreamShook and KingCheetah like this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

How fast was she going when high?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bet on Japan to win Soccer tournament?

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Marcellus Wiley and Emanuel Acho talked about this on Speak for Yourself. They talked about how mar1juana can be a performance enhancing drug because it can take away or ease anxiety. In that way, performance enhancing drugs don't have to add to your ability to enhance your performance. Interesting way to look at it. They also talked about how she knew the rules and consequences so... They also gave examples of NFL players that played better when high because it made them calmer.

DreamShook and Yung-T like this.
  15. KingCheetah

I don't think she should be banned, but smoking pot is one of the worst drugs to take because it stays in your system forever -- using it within a month of trials pretty much guarantees a suspension.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Interesting I didn't think about it that way. Sonya Richards Ross (400 meter champion) said she also feels bad for Sha'Charri but you have to follow the rules even if they are trash.

off topic Marcellus Wiley has turned into a real cornball since moving to Fox and Acho has been suspect ever since starting that talks with a black man series.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I feel so bad for Sha'Charri, because she is about to lose so much dough. She has the skills and personality to clean up at the Olympics.. The bag wasn't worth the bag.

I read that she may still be able to run in the 4x100 relay..

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was really surprised how well Gabby runs, her first steps look so damn heavy.. This is another person who can really clean up at the Olympics she is smart pretty and has personality. she is for real hilarious

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

[heart]

20. Buck Turgidson

The World Anti Doping Agency classifies mar1juana as a banned substance and the USADA conforms with their rules

I feel terribly for her, given the circumstances with her mother, but rules are rules

It was unbelievably stupid to do what she did, this close to the Olympics, knowing she'd be tested multiple times

Much respect for her in how she's owned up to it and taken responsibility.

I hope she smokes the ****ing field in the 4x100