1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Ming or not to ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BuckeyeRocketFan, Jan 22, 2002.

1. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Let's assume for a second that the Rockets get the #1 overall pick (which quite frankly I do not see happening, but that's OK)

Who do you pick?
    Yao Ming
    Jason Williams
    LeBron James

Ming and Williams have been talked A LOT. But James may be better than both. There was talk about him coming out for the NBA draft as a high school junior and that he might go #1 if he did that. If he comes out, he has to be talked about at #1.

I don't know much about him and what position he plays, but the kid is awesome and can jump out of the gym. He is definitely worth consideration if he comes out, which is probably a foregone conclusion

What do you think?

2. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Let it ming !!!

3. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Here is some info about James.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/lebronjames.htm

At 6'7", he could play small forward for us without too much problem.

I think I would want James, then Ming then Williams on the Rockets.

A lineup of Francis, Mobley, James, Taylor, Griffin would be tough for anyone to keep up with.

4. Tmo

Tmo Member

James cannot declare until next year, when his high school class graduates.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I say go with Yao Ming, so just like Dallas, we could get some fan fare. Dallas what? Dallas nothing. We have to show that we are better than Dallas. Remember how big of a deal it was when Wang Zhizhi played? Yao Ming is better than Zhizhi. Or that other guy in Denver. He looks weird. It could also help out the Asian-American community in Houston cause the new arena is right next to China Town.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think we Ming. As good as Jason Williams will be, he's redundant. Plus, it isn't often that you find centers who can play. You take them when you can.

7. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

James would be awesome to have as our SF. I seen him on the TV news here in LA, they did a 15 min interview and highlight of him and he looked great. Best thing is he has really good skills at passing the ball and finding the open man. The news said he was thinking of declaring for the NBA after his junior year! This was a real big issue. He sounded intelligent in the interview but I don't see why anyone should skip their last year of High school, but that's just my opinion cause I value education highly even if your going to be weathy or not. Even though he is young he's got a really good body already, better than kobe had when he came to the NBA IMO. Anyways if I had to choose between the three I'd have to choose Ming only because 7-5 centers with speed and agility are extremely rare. But then again on our needs, seeing how we haven't had a solid three in a while...nan, Ming.

8. Tmo

Tmo Member

Again, James CANNOT come out this year.

9. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

He CAN come out if he decides to challenge as others have done in the past, right? Why not?

I bet he files a lawsuit as soon as his high school season ends.

10. Tmo

Tmo Member

There's an article where he says there won't be a lawsuit because it would be too difficult. I'll see if I can find it...

11. DissMember

DissMember Member

Yao Ming... Yao is the guy's last name not Ming, it's last name first in China but it's not call last name.

He will not be a lottery pick. He will be this year's Loren Woods. If he ends up being a lottery pick I will never post another message here again.

12. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Here's hoping that if ... that is IF ... we are lucky enough to get the pong at one .... we trade it as fast and as expensively as we can. The Wizxards and MJ would sell their respective blood relatives for Williams, Chicago would trade away all it's commitments and its number one in alternate years for the top rung at the draft.

Believe me the Rockets do not need more young talent, they need some starter quality players. They need to unload draft commitments. They need to trade away some lame ducks with that nu8mber one pick.

Example announcement:

" We have a trade to announce. Rockets trade the signing rights to #1 draft pick Jason Williams along with veteran Glen Rice to the Washington Wizards, in return for players to be named later."

"We have another announcement to make. The Washington Wizards have traded Kwame Brown to the Houston Rockets and a first round draft pick this year and a first round draft pick in 2004."

"We have announcement to make. The Houston Rockets have traded Kelvin Cato and the Washington first round draft pick this year (7th overall), the Wizards first round draft pick in 2004 and this year's first round draft pick of Toronto (17th overall) to ....................... for all star pro .................... "

13. Tmo

Tmo Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,4851404,00.html
    Quote:
    James has the ability to play in the NBA, but Section 5 (a) of the league's collective bargaining agreement mandates that no American player can enter the draft unless his "high school class has graduated."

James has decided against challenging that in court this spring, after his junior year, in part because it would be difficult to beat.

"It is an ironclad rule," said NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre. "It was collectively agreed upon, you can't take it to court and overturn it. It's binding. Someone can take it to court, but they won't be successful."

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I recently read some troubling news on Kwame Brown. Here it is:

"Kwame Brown, who had problems with fatigue after short bursts of exercise, was cleared of any medical problems after a battery of tests. This could be viewed as either good or bad news. While it is great that there is nothing seriously wrong with him, the Wizards would still like to know why Brown gets fatigued faster than most athletes. If it's something that can't be treated, it could end up really hurting his career. "

15. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

OP,

Is this really just a hypothetical example or a possible hint of something you know? If it's just hypothetical, then why not sustitute Chicago, Ming, & Curry in the appropriate places? Do you know if they have plans on shopping Cato this year?

16. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

I love it when OP posts. :D

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think it was a hypothetical, aren't all examples? Besides, it's way too early to talk about trading picks and such.

Ming will be in the lottery.

I saw a pic of Kwame. He's a buff dude. I know it's too soon to tell, but I wonder if Jordan outsmarted himself with the Brown pick. Gasol and Battier look good right now. Heck, Jamaal Tinsley would do wonders for that team.

18. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

What about Wagner? I thought he was supposed to be considered for #1 if he comes out?

Another vote for Ming or Yao or whatever, that tall asian dude.
    A great tall guy is always harder to find than a great small guy.

19. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I'm a firm believer in taking the best player available and the best player this year seems to be Jason Williams.

I think some teams around the league would be willing to pay out the wazoo for this guy. OP has the right idea, though. It would be great to unload some of our dead weight (ie: Rice/Cato).

20. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having Yao Ming, but I too think that if would could get a great deal for Jason Williams then we should do that.