1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To hell with the Chinese Government -- Pass on Yao!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Axeman, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

What's with all this b****ing about the Chinese government?

Yeah, they're totalitarians. Yeah, that's bad. But they're not the people jerking us around. The people jerking us around are the Shanghai Sharks.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Exactly. A better example for people would be baseball that sends players to Japan. It would be like the Japanese wanting a player from the Astros, a player who wants to be there. But then the Astros being tough to negotiate with, and a Japanese fan saying "Typical American Government", when it's actually the Astros being tough to work with.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

There's a difference though Rocks...Ming's people have said point blank that the gov't will, in fact, need to give their stamp of approval on the deal. Along with several other agencies. Wasn't there an article about how we need to get 8 or 9 sigs on the contract in order to close the deal? I just cant wait until this whole storm passes.

4. Axeman

Axeman Member

Right on, brother. You just said in a very few words what it took me many more words to say...

I still covet Ming, I wish we could have him, he's just what we need as a player. But, we don't need all this bull**** baggage that is part of the deal. Initially, I was willing to live with it but I have been proven wrong by the obsessive-compulsive Chinese authorities.... They have already talked so much trash that IMO, it's not worth it.

Uh, my friend. China is a communist country. That means that in the end, the Government owns everything. Sure, they may be called the "Shanghai Sharks" and may have an "owner", but the bottom line is the Government would shut this guy up in two seconds if they wanted to. And they haven't yet. Get it?

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Axeman,

China is corrupt. The owner of the Sharks probably has a lot of $$$ . What do people with power and $$$ usually also have? The backing of government officials.

If the owners of the Shanghai Sharks tells Yao to sign, the government will too as long as its demands are met (to play in international competition and make china look good).

China wants:
    1.) Yao to be on a good team. If Yao looks good, China looks good.
    2.) Promise to allow Yao to play international competition
    3.) 1/2 of Yao's salary. In other words, bribery. But the government doesn;t give a crap where that money's coming from as long as 1 and 2 are met.

Shanghai Sharks:
    1.) They don;t give a crap
    2.) They don;t give a crap
    3.) Aha. Since China wants 1/2 his salary, they want their $$$ too. This is where the roadblocks are.

The Shanghai Sharks are the real issue.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rudy and CD have to laughing amongst themselves that the Shanghai Sharks!? are putting out threats instead of the welcome mat. We would'nt take this nonsense from Toronto much less the some junior college level team from China - The Sharks please that name is almost as bad as the Texans- Ming is a waste of time and energy - unless your part of the Rockets entourage that scored free tickets to China. This all sounds like a job for Nadar.:rolleyes:

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Not really. Take this Web site, for example. In the end, Clutch owns it all. Sure, you may be called "Axeman" and may be a "Member," but the bottom line is that we could ban you in two seconds if we wanted to. And we haven't yet.

And yet, somehow, we have nothing to do with your tired rants and ignorant oversimplifications of Chinese politics. Get it?

8. Axeman

Axeman Member

You are only proving my point. What happens if the Rockets don't play Yao 20 minutes per game, or the Rockets don't make the playoffs his first year?

Do you actually believe that <b>Shanghai Sharks</b> does not equal <b>Chinese Government</b>? Anyone who is rich enough to "own" a basketball team in China is IN with the Government Elite. What the Shanghai Sharks say only mirrors what the Government is demanding: <b>TOTAL CONTROL OF YAO MING WHILE HE IS IN THE U.S.</b>.

Once again, <b>SCREW THAT</b>! This is a basketball league, not a place for <b>political war-games</b>.

9. Axeman

Axeman Member

Is that a threat or a promise? How pathetic...

First of all, you also prove my point for me. The government cannot shut down Clutchcity.Net just because it doesn't like the content. That's because Clutch owns the site and he has basic property rights that are protected by our legal system. In China, if some government agency or official was upset with this web site or it's content, it would be shut down in about 5 minutes, no trial, no appeal, no chance for redress. So, thank you for providing another example for me.

As for you thinking my "rants" are "ignorant" and "oversimplifications"... Let's see...

Students protest against government: TANKS and MASS MURDER.
    Religious group (Falun Gong) wants to practice religion: JAIL and TORTURE.
    Tibet wants to remain independent: GENOCIDE and DESTRUCTION OF TEMPLES.

Those are facts, not oversimplifications.

Go ahead, try and ban me... I have a right to express my opinion just like everyone else on this board. If you don't agree, don't cop an attitude because you are "Clutch Crew". You obviously don't know who you are dealing with, but if you want to find out the hard way, go ahead.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Axeman,

Once Yao is in the U.S., the Chinese government will have a lot less control. Hell, they can't even find Wang.

You have to remember, the Chinese government has a lot more to lose than the Sharks. The SHarks lose their "franchise player". For them, losing Yao is losing big $$$ which they can't easily replace.

China is in a different situation. Yao to the NBA means potential big mega $$$ for China. For them saving face (a good team) is just as important as the $$$. The Sharks just want to get paid.

Putting Yao in the NBA means that in the future, the Chinese government can demand 1/2 of every Chinese player's contract regardless what team they play for, whether its the SHarks, the Red Army team, or whatever. If they start exerting control over the NBA, the NBA teams are going to say, screw this, which could cost China a buttload of $$$. For every team that's put off by China's tactics means one less team to market towards, one less potential employer and millions of lost dollars.

The SHarks just want to get as much as they can while they still control Yao. Theyre like the agent who has one good client and tries to get every red penny they can.

To assume that the government and the SHanghai Sharks are one and the same is a little naive.

11. Axeman

Axeman Member

Now, let's reword that, in China speak:
    "Not really. Take this <b>Yao Ming</b>, for example. In the end, <b>the Chinese Goverment owns him</b>. Sure, he may be called <b>"Yao Ming"</b> and may be a <b>"Houston Rocket"</b>, but the bottom line is that we could <b>make him come home</b> in two seconds if we wanted to. <b>We just</b> haven't yet."

That's pretty funny!
    :D

(Just for the record, I have nothing against the Chinese people. I am actually a student of Chinese Medicine studying to become an acupuncturist. But, I see first hand how much the Chinese people who I work with every day appreciate the freedoms they have in the U.S., and have heard the stories of how limited their options are in China. So, maybe I have a little bias but I still feel that unless all this trash talk coming from China settles down, it is not worth taking Ming to have to hear that junk constantly throughout the NBA regular season.)

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Dude, I don't know what I was thinking, expecting subtlety from you. You're talking to the most anti-ban member of the "Crew." My point was that just because some higher authority can shut you up doesn't mean they approve of everything you say, much less that you're their mouthpiece. You know full well that this applies to you, but somehow you can't grasp that the same is true of the management of the Shanghai Sharks.

The basic problem here is that you're too obsessed with the totalitarianism of the Chinese government (which nobody here is disputing) to realize how little it explains the plain old stubborn and selfish behavior of the Shanghai Sharks.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, axeman, I didn't take it as a threat. Give Will the benefit of the doubt. He *is* the most anti-ban crew member. He was just making an illustration, imo.

back to your topic:

Do you realize Wang signed his contract with the Mavs two days after the Chinese jet crashed into our spy plane. Wang was on a plane to the US to play his first NBA game at the very same time China was holding our pilots hostage.

The Chinese govt doesn't really care about ruling over pro athletes and holding them hostage as much as you are exaggerating. It is merely a typical trade negotiation with China. Afterall, China has a long history of trade with the West, no??

Look at it this way. Last year an Army General from China made veiled threats of nuclear weapons in the same breath as Los Angeles. Some took that as a veiled threat during the Taiwan Sea military manuevers when they sailed a rocket over Taiwan, right? (i'm remembering that correctly, no?)

If we land Ming, they won't bomb Houston!!!

#33 heypartner, Jun 6, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I see what you are saying HeyP but its my understanding (and maybe am missing something) that the Chinese poweres that be think a LOT more highly of Yao than thay did of Wang. True?

I just dont remember it being such a big deal when Wang was being courted

15. Axeman

Axeman Member

OK, cool. I erroneously took it as a threat.... Excuse me for assuming. But, maybe a different example would have been better, considering the context.

And, yes, Will, you are right, it is probably not prudent to expect subtlety from me. I'm one of the more blunt members of this board, as everyone knows. :D

But, yes, back to the topic. While I agree that right now it is just the Shanghai Sharks that are yapping, I still believe that the Government is and will be watching this situation very closely, and if they wanted to, they would make the Shanghai Sharks owner keep quiet.

The main thing I don't like is that they are playing the Rockets like we are already dealing in bad faith. They want us to promise we will draft him <b>BEFORE</b> they will even discuss the terms. That's like me telling someone they have to agree to buy my house before we negotiate the price. It's ridiculous, and, piled onto all the other BS that has been disclosed about Yao's committments to China, the other things that have been said in the media, and the overall record of the Chinese government, I'm getting to the point where I feel like it could only get more ridiculous.

But, if the Rockets decide to take Ming anyway, I will root for him as a player, and I will be behind him 100%. I want him here on basketball sense alone... But, I'm getting so sick of the posturing by Chinese authorities.

16. Axeman

Axeman Member

Yeah, but they may put hidden microphones in the Rockets locker room and team bus!! :)

17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I agree with you here, and the funny thing is, in a sick way, I think this is our ace in the hole. If the Sharks guy keeps mouthing off and throwing up roadblocks to the point that he endangers Yao going #1, he might very well get a phone call from somebody in a position to squash his nuts. Then we can all feel lousy about the communist government that delivered our franchise player -- right after we rack up a few championships.

18. Axeman

Axeman Member

Friend, I pray that you are correct. But, I'm starting to think that after Yao has a couple of good seasons they will call him back home and force him to play in every tournament with the Chinese team, even the ones that overlap with the NBA season.

And, I agree with you that it is naive to assume that the Shanghai Sharks and the Chinese Government are one and the same. However, my point was not that they are run by the Government directly, but that the Government has unthwarted authority over everyone in that country. Considering the national interest in Yao Ming, if the Government wanted to make it smooth sailing for him to get over here, they would be telling this owner guy to keep his mouth shut. But, from what I can tell so far, they're not. So, to me that says that they are willing to go along with all these strings he is attaching to the deal, and that the game is constantly changing by the minute. What if suddenly the Shanghai Sharks guy changes his mind after the Rockets draft him, and the government says, "OK, whatever". That's it, end of story. The Rockets can't sue China, there are no courts in China. And, I doubt the U.N. would take this matter into their hands. So, basically, we're screwed.

19. Axeman

Axeman Member

Clarification: I didn't mean "there are no courts in China", I meant, "there are no courts in China where the Rockets could get a fair trial in a contract dispute".

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Then we merely need to remind them that the NBA will pull all its advertising in Oriental TV (owners of Sharks) and Shanghai TV (govt owned largest TV station in China) if they pull Ming.

They are not going to shoot themselves in the foot on lucrative TV deals just to make a political point. Ming in the NBA is too lucrative for them and the head of the CBA is on record saying that their league as to learn how to make money.

<a href="http://www.time.com/time/asia/biz/daily/0,9754,203602,00.html">read this on their money-making beliefs in basketball</a>

Don't worry...be happy.

The Sharks just want some money up front somehow, and the league knows he'll make them more money in advertising playing here than there. Think Pepsi, Coke, Motorola and Sony deals with Shanghai TV airing copywritten NBA games of Ming.

There are much more important and influential people wanting Ming in the NBA than some squat ex-journalist turned asst to the GM of a $133K budget basketball team--Li Yaoming is nothing.

These Teams in the CBA are not big business,,,their employees subsist on a small budget. Only their owners are worth dealing with. You just dismiss their Li Yaomin spokesmen.

#40 heypartner, Jun 6, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2002