1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To hell with the Chinese Government -- Pass on Yao!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Axeman, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

At this point, I'm getting so tired of these stupid games the Chinese are playing, I'm more inclined to pass on Yao just to shove it up their @%$.

This is what you get when you deal with a country where people are subjects and not free to choose their own destiny. Has anyone bothered to ask Yao what HE would like to do? The Chinese government and Shanghai Sharks act like this guy is a piece of property, not a human being.

I mean, we haven't even DRAFTED the guy yet and they are already talking smack. I can just see it now....

<i>AP (Houston) - The owner of the Shanghai Sharks has issued a threat to the Houston Rockets, and things don't look good. "We've been watching the games, and Yao only took 10 shots last night. If Yao Ming does not take at least 20 shots in the next game, we are ordering him to return home immediately. The Houston Rockets are a disgrace to the world and a disgrace to all Asians everywhere for their poor and indefensible treatment of the greatest Asian athlete of all time, the venerable Yao Ming."</i>

You guys all know that I've been pushing for Yao on the Rockets. But, this is now becoming too much of a damned soap opera. Take someone else and @*$K the Chinese government.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Relax. Take a deep breath. This is all a part of the negotiations. Things will work out.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

funny stuff axeman.

barring a potential trade, who would you pick first other than Yao?

I'm still not off the bandwagon, this guy sounds like a player, but this does not sound good.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I'm officially off the Yao bandwagon as of this evening as well. This team has already gone thru enough drama the past few years. At this point, I just want a stable team that can attempt to build some chemistry and get into the playoffs. Trade the pick, hopefully for a player w/ a post up game who can bang.

5. Panda

Panda Member

Sorry I don't think the Shanghai Sharks owner is crazy or stupid enough to issue that kind of warning to the Rockets. All he cares about is how much reward he can get from shipping Yao, pulling Yao Ming out of NBA is like killing his own money tree. Relax, there is all kinds of fake news on the internet.

6. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I've been on the Ming bandwagon, but mainly because of his talent, height, and potential to help out this team in the middle.
    Also because I don't want players like McDyess and Odom on the team.

But it is scary to think of his overall worth considering the fact he won't be at training camps, summer leagues, etc.

If only he were European. :D

7. carlit0

carlit0 Member

No pain no gain.

If this player is worth it to Rudy and CD they will do whatever it takes to get this guy.

If Duncan was requesting similar things to come to Houston, We would put up with that also.

Special player!!!!

8. nilsrock

nilsrock Member

You're angry because of something your imagination created and because of that you want us to pass on Yao.:rolleyes:

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

The next outrageous demand made by Yao's manager should lead to Yao Mings draft expulsion.

10. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

I don't think Shanghai Sharks or Chinese Sports Center can do anything beyond the contract about Ming. All Rockets needed to do now is to sign a clear and reasonable contract about Ming. Wang Zhizhi is still stay in USA after Chinese National Team has been gathered for over on month. The only arthcle talked about Wang's future is translated from American media. No evidence shows that Bayi red army rockets will pull him back.

Another important thing is: all the Chinese fans and medias are back up Ming and Wang. They hope to see they play in NBA.
    If "Chinese government" and Shanghai club do anything to damage the road of their NBA carrer, they will be blamed by Chinese fans and medias very badly.

Do your guys remeber the salary issue of Ming. Too many fans and medias critizied this rule and the director of CBA had to say something to explain it. Please see: http://crioracle.cri.com.cn:8000/news/english.html?infoid=58512

11. ESource

ESource Member

"Don't hate the playa, hate the game." :p
    Go Ming, Go!

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'm starting to think maybe we should trade the pick.

We won the lottery fellas....imagine what you'd do if on the way to collect, the ticket flew out your car window??? I am starting to get a pit in my stomach.

This may or may not apply, but for a long while, I did a lot of business with companies in china. It would take a small act of God to get the most simple things done...mainly because so many different authorites had to "sign off" on whatever was proposed.

The one thing that I noticed in all my experiences of doing business over there is that reagrdless of what our contracts stated (American contracts), the Chinese always seemed to have some sort of "out" or loophole that they could exercise and blame it on the fact that they were being controlled by the gov't. Maybe this was me making a bad business decision and maybe not but its just what I experienced. Granted, I'm not an NBA franchise and I wasn't trying to export the best thing from China since the massage, but I did get a taste of doing business over there and its a b****.

As far as the bandwagon goes, I got one leg on and one leg off but if a good legit offer comes in I may have to bail on Yao.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Once again, for the sake of personal satisfaction, and totally unrelated to the Rockets' need for a proper sense of diplomacy in these delicate negotiations, please allow me to say on behalf of irritated fans everywhere:

Screw the Shanghai Sharks.

Thank you. This has been a lack of public service announcement.

14. Axeman

Axeman Member

I think we've all seen that the Chinese government does basically whatever the heck it wants, and because it is a totalitarian government, it doesn't have to worry about who is upset. No one is elected in China. Why would they care if people are upset about Yao Ming or Wang Zhi Zhi???

I only wish I was imagining this. I tell you what, if the guy at AP who put the article on the wire is also imagining it, then I'll say I'm imagining it. Unfortunately, it looks like the Chinese government and "owners" of the Shanghai Sharks (remember, China is a communist country so essentially the government owns everything) are considering Yao a piece of meat and not a human being --- that doesn't surprise me, actually.

Yeah, true. Except it would be <b>DUNCAN</b>, not the mayor of San Antonio, or the Foreign Ministry of the U.S. Virgin Islands. Hey, if this was all Ming making contract demands, and we were dealing with one person here, I'd say, fine, make the guy happy and get him in the fold. But, we're dealing with a "committee" of fascists here. These people know only one way of doing things -- <b>THEIR</b> way. They basically tell people what to do and are used to people doing it, or they send in the Army for a little rumble (see Tianamen Square, Tibet, or any other protest scenario in China). That's a little different than putting up with one player whining.

Did you see one bad reference to Ming himself in my article? No. I have a feeling all Ming wants to do is get his ass over to the U.S. as soon as possible, and get as far away from all these freaks as he can. Unfortunately, it looks as if this committee of coaches, owners, and officials is going to act like they own him for the rest of his life. Poor guy, I feel for him. He should never go back once he gets here.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If China can not get it's collective act together, then I am all for drafting Butler or trading down.

DaDakota

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Well said Axeman

17. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

:eek: AMEN BROTHER....PREACH

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I'm interested to know if Ming gets injured during a summer competition in China some year down the road - where does that leave us? Will we still be obligated to honor his contract? It's drastic enough that his body will have to endure 82 NBA games + playoffs, but then he will play competitively all summer as well??

What happens after the Chinese National Team does surprisingly well in Athens? Will the Chinese feel content with their accomplishments and just call Yao back in '04....or '08?? Will they broker a deal to Chicago or NY when his rookie contract expires? Will they force a trade if only gets 25min playing time instead of 30??

As talented as he may be, I'd rather not waste my time babysitting all the irrational variables involved in this. It's one thing to say the team cannot improve without taking risks. But that doesn't mean you go into a situation blindly. And that's what this is - blind risk - because the rules of the game change from one day to the next with these guys.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What a roller-coaster ride.

At least we know that we have the position of power here. If this is all BS, and we cut the red tape, then Ming is ours.

Otherwise? Lots of offers for that #1 pick. Take the best one.

It's kinda fun and maddening at the same time trying to imagine what's really going on.

Are persons over there talking smack to dissuade the Rockets from drafting Ming so that he can wind up in NY (not gonna happen) or Chicago?

People playing their games have to be careful. Push too far, and practically no one will want to draft the guy. Well, maybe NY. So maybe that's the game after all.

Do the Rockets really, really want Ming? (1.3 billion jerseys: that's a lot of $$$) Or do they want an excuse to trade the pick?

What makes me sorry about all this is that, at the heart of the matter, we have a human being who just wants to play basketball, being drawn-and-quartered. I don't like the strings being attached to this game.

Hopefully it's all just posturing; otherwise, Jay Williams and Glen Rice and KT for Lamar, Maggette, 8, 12....

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

LOL!! And some of you guys thought this was going to be a standard shmooze and sign deal. We've only touched the tip of the iceburg in regards to aquiring Ming.

I think I'm even more anti-Ming than I initally was because of all of this posturing. The expectations were high at the onset, but now it's just ridiculous because of the hype. The team that drafts him is setting themselves up for a major disappointment, IMO. I just do not see this guy living up the the hype that has followed him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the Chinese gov't and the Sharks want Ming to be drafted #1, fine, but both parties better understand that the Rockets(or whatever team ends up drafting him) will expect nothing less than 110% of what is expected of any #1, meaning summer and training camps, practices, games(regular, allstar & playoff) and everything in between. Anything less will not be accepted and no disrespect to Ming, but he can stay put.

As for the people being upset at the Chinese gov't for damaging Ming or Wang's NBA careers, who is going to care other than the player and the fans?? The gov't sure won't give a damn. Like Axeman said, why should they care if the people are upset? They're the friggin Chinese Communist Party!