1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMZ: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jan 26, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am surprised it was Dolores in the end but I like her.

The best would have been to convict him when he was alive rather dead though.

#941 daywalker02, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t really take issue with her expressing her opinion. I’m more inclined to defend her against the harassment she is now facing, then to pile on and admonish her for stating an honest perspective on the matter.

That said, I am just not comfortable with defining a person by a terrible action they committed in the past, especially when the details of that action are not clear. There is a difference between saying a person committed a racist act or even committed an act of rape, versus saying a person is a racist or is a rapist.

If she phrased it as “I consider Kobe to be a sports hero and at the same time someone who very likely committed rape and got away with it” — I think that would have been less triggering for readers while still expressing the same idea.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Kobe publicly admitted that for her it was NOT consensual. If it is not consensual for one party then it is called rape.

There are tons of people in prisons that are innocent.

But you are telling me that there aren't criminals out there who have gotten away with their crimes and are free to walk?

The physical evidence, Kobe's own admittance and statement speak for themselves.

You can still keep believing that you live in a world where justice is really blind and served equally to all , but reality says otherwise.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I also don't take issue with Woods or anyone else for voicing their opinions on Kobe's past. Many others have mentioned or brought up the issue without completely derailing the conversation. The reason this is possible is because they are not being deliberately inflammatory, insulting nor presenting their judgements/opinions as facts.

I completely agree with you that if Woods had phrased her tweet something like "While we remember all the things we love and admire about Kobe Bryant, we should also acknowledge that he wasn't a saint and may have (and IMO) committed rape once upon a time" I personally wouldn't have any problems with that statement.

Easy likes this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

quote where I stated or implied "there aren't criminals out there who have gotten away"
    quote where I stated or implied "justice is really blind and served equally to all"

The physical evidence could be evidence of rape. The physical evidence could also be evidence of rough/hard sex. Whats the likelihood that it is one or the other? The kids in the central park 5 case all admitted to the police they raped and beat that women. Are all statements facts/truths just because they were stated? Then what of Kobes assertion that he believed the sex was consensual?

I wasn't there, I don't claim to know what happened, in fact I've barely an opinion on his guilt or innocence... But if I did, I know I wouldn't be so arrogant or conceded to think my opinions are 100% right and are so right that it would in fact be the truth.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

No, Kobe Bryant raped the victim in 2003.

The physical evidence was very strong.

He was very fortunate she was in no condition to testify.

He paid her over 2.5 million dollars in the civil suit.

Bryant was a complicated figure. He had many admirable traits but he also had issues. He was a rapist.

malakas likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

You said that because his case was dropped (which doesn't prove innocence) it means people can't name him as a rapist but have to add:
    People get away with crimes all the time especialy rich and famous people with good laywers.
    People are condemned by the law while being innocent.

And what?
    Even though the girl said it was not consensual and also Kobe said it was not consensual we can't take this for a fact?
    Are you serious?
    Both parties who were directly involved said it wasn't consensual.
    That can't be more of a fact.

It was clear cut rape without any doubt.

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Kobe stated he thought it was consensual. Is that a fact too?
    Innocent people are convicted and convicted people are innocent - duh?
    You can call Kobe a rapist or overweight, racist, white, muslim, cheap, below average basketball player or anything you want. None of them would be statement of facts, since it would just be your opinion (which you are entitled to have even if they are wrong).
    You are entitled to your opinion ( which very well could be right) but in the end that doesn't make it anymore than just that... an opinion.

Many including Kobe's family, lawyers, friends, fans etc fervently believe he is innocent... ie... not a rapist - are their opinions also the truth/fact?

The definition of a fact and an opinion is pretty clear. They don't change just because you believe you are right.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Kobe said "For me it was consensual but I recognise that for her it wasn't."
    Consensual literally means that BOTH parties are okay with it.

When it isn't consensual for one party then it isn't consensual period.
    This is called rape.
    There is no ifs or buts.

10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

You're entitled to your opinion.

But perhaps you are right. That your thoughts are in fact infallible. since your opinions are so perfect and right and are indeed facts... you should really go tell the courts which criminals were wrongly convicted and which criminals are wrongly absolved... that would save our judicial system a ton of work.

Heck we could even desolve all judges, lawyers, prosecutors and instead have Malakas hold his/her godly judgement.

Bearded13 and RudyTBag like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I will back up Nook a little bit here. There is a difference between having a belief based on evidence and a belief based on accepting the word of someone you care about because it would be too painful to believe otherwise.

They are both “opinions”, in some sense, but one should carry more weight than the other. If we’re trying to be objective about it.

Where I disagree is more how we talk about Kobe as a person, and that is really dependent on our inclination to judging/canceling others and our ability and willingness to compartmentalize how we view him. People are just different in this regard. Personal experience also plays a role here.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. swakid8

swakid8 Member

To answer your question. The only time a flight plan must be filed is only if the flight intends to operate under IFR. The only required ATC communications is if you are operating under IFR, or VFR transitions through either Class B Airspace (This airspace covers major airports up to 10,000 feet at a 30 mile radius I.e. IAH, HOU, DFW, JFK, DCA, LAX, MIA, DEN, ORD) Class C Airspace (This airspace covers medium airports up to 4,000 feet and at a 20 mile radius I.e. AUS, SAT size airports) and Class D Airspace (Smaller airports like Hooks). Pilots who are operating VFR can request flight following from ATC (flight following is only asking ATC to provide traffic advisories).

There is nothing in place to really stop a flight from going. But at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the Pilot in Command (PIC) to become familar with all of the pertinent information for his flight (weather, NOTAMS, status of aircraft, Passengers, the pilot themselves). It up to the PIC to determine if the flight should go or not.

As airline captain, I always ask myself three questions before I start looking at my flight release before my next flight, in the following order.

Is it legal?
    Is it safe?
    Does it make sense?

If the answer is No, the operation stops until all the answers become a yes. This is the approach that pilots need to take before jumping in the bird and blasting off. Had this pilot, took this approach. This flight doesn’t go unless it was done under IFR.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Wow. There is a time and place for everything. Everyone will choose to remember Kobe and anyone else who passed away differently. There is however a time and place for everything. She has every right to remember Kobe as a Rapist as well as a Sports Hero. It is her prerogative. However there are children and family members who idolized this man and are probably hurting from this. Let them mourn and stop pouring salt on their wounds.
    Also just because it happened years ago doesn't mean it did not happen. The facts and evidence have all been laid out. Everyone has the right to believe what they want. There is however a time and place for everything.
    I am not mad at Evan Rachel Wood. I am more pissed off at Twitter. F* Twitter and Social Media.

Easy, blahblehblah and durvasa like this.
  16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

In regards to Kobes case, I definitely think Nook's opinion is more legitimate/"carry's more weight" than my own and perhaps many others. Certainly there is a difference to how legitimate, educated and intelligent one's opinion is compared to another. However even the most intelligent, educated and weighty opinion is still in fact... an opinion/not a fact. Which is my primary point.

Woods and others who start the conversation about Kobe by calling him a rapist are inflaming the discussion by asserting their judgements as truth, are not going to illicit a reasonable response, especially from those who carry the opposite beliefs.

IMO that's the root problem in every disagreement. One side or both sides, believes their view/judgement/opinion to be so right that they disregard the manner and tenor in which they have dialogue. There is a way to reasonably disagree, to reasonably state ones belief, opinions and of course a time and a place for everything

17. malakas

malakas Member

If someone hasn't filled a flight plan but the weather condition are that bad that he has to switch to IFR , can he still do it?

18. malakas

malakas Member

Was this pilot IFR approved?

If two famous multimillionaries can't find a pilot with these skills then what about normal people?

19. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Yes you can. Your options are if you know weather is deteriorating to the point where maintaining VFR is becoming difficult, you can file a IFR flight plane with ATC then get your IFR clearance while in the air. But a lot of times, it is dependent on ATC’s workload if you are trying to do this in the air plus you have increased your workload as well.

Or land at the nearest suitable airport, file an IFR flight on the ground and get your IFR clearance before taking off again. But it was no secret that the weather all morning before the crash was IFR and boarder line Marginal VFR in the region.

DVauthrin, Nook, Sajan and 1 other person like this.
  20. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Stupid Fem ERW