1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans Do Some House Cleaning

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BobFinn*, Mar 1, 2001.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Thursday March 1 7:14 PM ET
    Tennessee Titans Release 9 Players

By JOE EDWARDS, Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Place kicker Al Del Greco, blamed by many fans for Tennessee's playoff loss to Baltimore, was one of nine players cut by the Titans on Thursday as NFL teams faced a midnight deadline to get under the NFL's $67.4 million salary cap.

Also cut were safety Marcus Robertson, wide receivers Yancey Thigpen and Carl Pickens, fullback Lorenzo Neal, linebacker Terry Killens, tight ends Michael Roan and Larry Brown and running back Rodney Thomas.

``The saddest part of our business is looking at names and the dollar value,'' Titans general manager Floyd Reese said at a news conference.

The team's salaries were $69.6 million, according to the NFL Players Association.

Reese said the moves leaves the team lacking in depth, and will require the Titans to ``draft very, very well, and we have to coach very, very well.''

Del Greco, a 17-year veteran, was criticized after Tennessee's 24-10 loss to Baltimore in the AFC playoffs. He bounced one field goal off an upright and had two others blocked, including one returned for a touchdown.

In a regular season game at home against the Ravens last year, he missed an extra point and a late field goal in the Titans' first loss at Adelphia Coliseum after 13 victories.

But coach Jeff Fisher said the move to cut Del Greco was a salary cap decision, and had nothing to do with his performances. Fisher said he talked with Del Greco on Thursday, and the player was realistic.

``He understood; he invited me to his golf tournament,'' Fisher said.

Last season, Del Greco made 27 of 33 field goal attempts and kicked game-winning field goals against Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Kansas City.

Del Greco, who had one year left on his contract, is seventh in all-time NFL career scoring with 1,584 points.

Frank Murtha, Del Greco's agent, called the cut ``an unfortunate turn of events.''

``For a person and player of the quality and character of Al Del Greco, and what he's meant to team over the years, it's temporarily a sad day,'' said Murtha, who had not yet spoken with Del Greco.

``These salary cap cuts are taking their toll around the league,'' he said.

``Obviously a lot of teams are cutting veterans in cost cutting moves to make way for marquee players,'' said Kenneth Zuckerman, Robertson's agent. ``He fell into that group as did some of the other top players around the league. There will be a lot of interest in him around the league.''

Robertson, a 10-year veteran safety with 22 career interceptions, last season had 92 tackles, forced two fumbles and recovered one. He paired with Blaine Bishop to give the Titans two of the best pair of safeties in the NFL.

Pickens, a nine-year NFL veteran receiver and two-time Pro Bowler, spent one year with the Titans after leaving Cincinnati where he began his career. He was plagued by a hamstring injury and finished the season with just 10 catches for 242 yards.

Pickens was due a $4.5 million roster bonus and a $1 million salary in 2001.

Thigpen, a nine-year veteran receiver and two-time Pro Bowler, was injured during most of his three seasons with the Titans. Last year he caught 15 passes for 289 yards and two TDs.

``It was one of those things that just didn't work,'' Reese said of the release of Pickens and Thigpen.

Neal, a seven-year veteran, primarily was a blocker for quarterback Eddie George. He caught nine passes for 31 yards and two TDs.

Thomas, a running back, was a backup behind George. He played in all 16 games, rushing 61 times for 175 yards.

Reese said the team expects to sign free-agent wide receiver Derrick Mason in the next 24 hours. The fourth-year receiver set an NFL record for all-purpose yards, was named All-Pro at kick returner and became quarterback Steve McNair's favorite target at receiver.

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

Who knew Eddie George was the Titan's quarterback. Was he just logging minutes at RB until McNair went down?

------------------
    "We messed with the Bull, and we got the horns." -- Larry Brown from AirBullard.com

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'm so sad. [​IMG]

and the vikings keep getting worse and worse!

GO TEXANS!!!!!
    [​IMG]

------------------
    snap crackle pop

4. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Bobfinn,
    Thank you for posting a football related topic.

All I can say is Thank God Al Del Greco is gone. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the Titans could sign Olindo Mare but the Dolphins did the smart thing and resigned him.

The move that surprised me was releasing Lorenzo Neal. The man is an awesome fullback. The Titans will have to do some good drafting to fill the roles of the people released.

I am thankful they resigned Derrick Mason. Losing Mason would have been a huge blow to the Titans.

Bring on the football season.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

Counting down the days till January 27, 2002 (Superbowl 36 in New Orleans).

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Dream34,

Will this be your final year rooting for the Titans? With the Houston Texans beginning year after next I will be jumping the Titan ship.

Only 1 more year to root for a Bud Adams team.

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

6. Gascon

Gascon Member

I can't believe they did that to Al. He got a bum rap...anyone who says differently, not to be close-minded(heaven fordid), is a moron. [​IMG]

Then again, maybe the Texans will get him. [​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

7. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Gascon:
    You said "I can't believe they did that to Al. He got a bum rap...anyone who says differently, not to be close-minded(heaven fordid), is a moron."

I think it came down to several factors. The first being a mental issue. I think his teammates, fans, and management lost faith in Al. (Had he made all three of his field goals in the Baltimore playoff game the Titans would most likely have won and he would still be on the team.) I think the Titans know that in order to be Superbowl champs they must beat the new bully on the block (i.e. the Ravens). The Ravens are the team to beat for the Titans. I just think keeping Al would have caused to many doubts in the players minds. What if we are in a close game with the Ravens. Is Al going to choke and miss an extra point or have a makeable field goal? I do not think the Titans management wanted those seeds of doubts planted in the players minds. I think the Baltimore playoff game was Al's last chance of redemption with the Titans. Each of the Titans players realized that they very well should have beaten the Ravens had it not been for AL. The second factor in releasing Al came down to money. The Titans are over the cap and needed the salary cap room so they could resign Derrick Mason.

Bobfin* - To answer your question. I will still be a Titans fan even when the Texans start playing.

I will be rooting for the Texans (as long as they are not playing against the Titans!!!). Who knows with the new 4 team divisions the Titans may end up being in the same division as the Texans.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

Counting down the days till January 27, 2002 (Superbowl 36 in New Orleans).

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited March 05, 2001).]