1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time To Play Cam

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I was the one who originally posted he would be a Rocket and now I am the one calling out for this (very good) stubborn coaching staff to give the man his due right to be on the court. He is a top five talent, whom I always believed should have been taken over Amen. He does the one thing this team (and Amen) struggle to do and that is shoot the ball and score points in bunches. He was called up today and let’s all hope it’s not just for garbage time minutes.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He needs to play with a better team first attitude in Houston or he will need to go back down to the Gleague to get it.

DD

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

As was proven, it would have been stupid to take him instead of Amen. We now have two guys that could develop into something special. I would like him to get a shot sooner rather than later, at the expense of Holiday and Jalen minutes. Amen needs to get up to about 20 mins a game. He is going to be a superstar.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

trade green, free @Kam

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

It's definitely time. Give Cam some minutes.

evo8lover and Imanimal like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Free Cam Gals.

Imanimal and Jontro like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed. He still mopes when someone doesn't give him the ball when he thinks they should have. At the same time, he misses obvious passes as well. He's only 19, so hopefully the coaching staff can get through to him and reward him with minutes if becomes a team first player. By team first, I mean doing what the coach wants him to do. Part of his appeal is his aggressiveness in getting to the bucket (something we desperately need on this team).

fattz, DaDakota and Imanimal like this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree….but he deserves the opportunity and if he proceeds to blow it then it’s 100% on him.

fattz likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This game will tell us if he learned his lesson. He better never look disinterested again.

albuster likes this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

…..even Golden State is giving the kid drafted one spot ahead of Cam playing time. Cam deserves at least a few meaningful minutes per night and he has been totally ignored up to this point. We can reduce Tate’s minutes and give some to Cam.

fattz likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree, but if he looks disinterested and scores 30 points is anyone going to really be that upset ;).

ramotadab likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Or -- and I know this might be hard to comprehend -- but maybe it would be 100% on the coaching staff for promoting him too soon. I mean, that's part of their job, knowing who's deserving of more minutes and who's not. I trust them to make the right decision, and whether you thought he should be drafted ahead of Amen probably shouldn't factor into that.

ramotadab and napalm06 like this.
  13. albuster

albuster Member

Ime knows more about Cam and the reason why he is not playing than all of us. We can only speculate. I will try to speculate then. I recall Cam making a statement that was in many ways similar to KPJ's "I am the head honcho". If my recollection is correct, then Cam may be a KPJ 2.0 and that does not conform to the culture that Ime has been establishing in the team. Once again, it is speculation based on past statement attributed to Cam. There might be a different reason or reasons, of course.

ramotadab, fattz and RudyTBag like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

When this team slumps offensively, it really slumps. Isn't the point of Cam is to get you that bucket, for him to score.

Jeff, Aaron can attack via drives. Jeff gets calls/dunk and Aaron has that floater. Both can shoot 3's. If Cam with that lineup, as a driver or spot up shooter, more dimensions. In the staggered FVV and Sengun lineups, can see if Cam can be that release valve.

The honcho risk might be over played, as Ime could just yank Cam. He's yanked others. Team is in control and how Cam deals with the situation is up to him.

If Cam is that dude, wouldn't you want to know sooner than later. Or is the org afraid, because Cam would make others replaceable.

I'm for more data.

#14 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 22, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    ramotadab likes this.
  15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I’d bet on Cam being a high level player over Jalen right now for sure but Jalen almost certainly gives the team a better shot to win right now and if the FO and Ime think there’s any reasonable chance we will sign Jalen to his second contract they need the next 20-30 to get a better idea on that.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

They have the rest of the season to get a better idea. The earliest he's extension eligible is next summer so the next 20-30 games isn't really the benchmark

Nook likes this.
  17. Dredd

Dredd Member

Loved his song Ridin Dirty.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

We need to work Amen into the rotation and get him going first before we add anymore rookies into the mix. I'd like to see Cam get some real minutes off the bench sometime this season, but let's take things one step at a time. Cam is still working on learning to play team basketball, which is something that Amen does instinctively.

19. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I’m with you, if Amen was never injured and team figured out his role already it would’ve been the time to recall Cam but right now one rookie on a main rotation is enough headache when Jalen still playing like a rookie.

ramotadab and OremLK like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think Cam isnt playing because Ime doesnt wants to play two rookies and three other guys 21 or younger and would rather have guys with nba experience.

I dont think it has much to do with them wanting to see him accomplish certain things in the gleague. There are simply guys ahead of him that Ime either trusts more or are ahead in the developmental pecking order. So in the meantime he is in the gleague honing his skills and getting better just like a lot of young, drafted players have done.