1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for Carlos to start!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Live, Mar 23, 2001.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Its time to start Hakeem.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

2. Rockets 2001

Rockets 2001 Member

Man That Looks SWEET!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dream a deadly Dream, playoffs here we come!

BTW..on-topic now I have been pumped about Los for a while now, and thats the only thing I never understood. Why doesn't Los get more PT?? I love his hustle and he isn't undersized IMO..
    Better a slightly skinny 6'11" center with heart than a overpaid,whining sorry excuse for a center we currently have(had?) Thank God for the Dream!

------------------
    OK heypartner..are ya happy now??
    I'm no longer "living in the past" ;)

3. jamma34

jamma34 Member

this seems to be the most oft-repeated and never answered question.
    why doesnt los get more time?
    can we flood rockets email or can someone somehow get in touch with rudy and ask them point blank why los doesnt get more time?
    its mind boggling

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

are there any religious scriptures in tune with modern science?
    http://www.it-is-truth.org

4. DJ

DJ Member

I am 100 percent sure that Rudy Tomjanovich and Carlos Rogers are good friends. Rogers said that Tomjanovich tells him exactly what he has to do to help the team while his past coaches just told him to play. Being that Rogers is versatile, Tomjanovich can play him in any frontcourt position. Tomjanovich said many times that he likes the energy that Rogers brings to the game. Remember last year Tomjanovich included Rogers in his ideal line-up which consisted of: Hakeem Olajuwon or Kelvin Cato at center, Rogers at power forward, Shandon Anderson at the small forward position, Cuttino Mobley at shooting guard and Steve Francis as the point guard. Tomjanovich definately likes Rogers!

------------------

5. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

He is a 6'11" center that never stop hustling on the floor he ca run block, shoot from the outside can draw a big play.

he is the man!! Please send Buckwheat (CATO) far away from the team

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

DJ, I'd like to believe that, but I'm still a little skeptical. Have we seen that lineup? The only thing I can think of why Rudy doesn't like to put Carlos out there is that he likes guys with range who can shoot the three, and Carlos doesn't seem to have much range. When you think about it, everyone Rudy puts out on the floor has some range to their shot, and the only ones who can't shoot the three who see minutes are Hakeem, Cato and Mo T, and they're legitimate big men. Carlos is a SF, but has never seen significant time at SF because he doesn't shoot the 3. Even though I, like many others on this BBS, like Los and feel he has vindicated his minutes at the 4 or 5, perhaps Rudy doesn't feel comfortable relying on Los, who isn't that big, regularly at those positions.

Now that Dream is back, I hope Rudy still keeps using Los as the backup C. Screw Cato. Let his trade value drop. We can still get rid of him in the postseason regardless, given what Clutch has said about other teams wanting him. Send him off for a slightly better draft pick or a nice backup SF/PF. In Cato's defense, he may have seemed passive the past few games because the coaches may have been trying to get him to adjust his game, not go up for every shot, and he may be overcompensating. But I still don't care. He's still a mediocre rebounder, has poor hands, little intensity, and no range, in addition to not being a smart defender. He can work on some of those, but he'll never significantly improve on all of them to be our ideal center before his contract runs out. Trade him.

------------------

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, Relativist. It is confusing why 'Los doesn't get more time. I have never seen him give a lackluster effort when he is on the floor. And yet, it seems he is one of the last options off the bench.

I wonder if, despite his effort during games, he dogs it during practices.

------------------
    "Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian."
    Lee Simonson

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

But doesn't have as much muscle as most big men.

Personally i love rogers' game.

He hustles shoots out to 15 feet, has a jump hook, plays good defense.

But, I dont think Rudy thinks he is a starting center.

I also think CD asked him to play Cato to help his trade value.

I would like to give Cato just one more season.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

9. Band Geek Mobster

Did I miss something? I don't remember Los being able to shoot.

------------------
    Forget LHutz, Bob Rainey is by far the coolest poster in cc.net history!

10. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

11. Band Geek Mobster

Rogers can shoot from the outside? What makes you think he can shoot?

------------------
    Forget LHutz, Bob Rainey is by far the coolest poster in cc.net history!

12. Live

Live Member

Have to move this to the top, considering Cato's "performance" against the Sonics!

[​IMG]

------------------

13. Toast

Toast Member

Definitely time to start Dream.

And if you guys are lucky, Cato will reaggrevate one of his lingering injuries when he's out there, and then maybe Los will get some PT.

For real, I have no idea why he barely gets in games. Maybe if he wasn't struggling so hard to get minutes, he'd play soft like other Rockets centers to be left nameless?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Why the hell is Cato starting in the first place??? How did he EARN this???

Has he ever thrown down a performance this season that deems him worthy enough to start for a professional NBA franchise??

Hell he wouldnt even start for a High School team.......

------------------
    "Chucky who?" Charles Barkley

15. Stokes

Stokes New Member

Talent wise, I agree BUT: Has anyone noticed a general lack of interest in what's going on on the court from Carlos Rogers unless he's in it? It seems to me that when he's on the bench, he's more concerned with who's in Mattress Mac's seats or in working any Hootchie-Mommas close by. I may be wrong, but as a coach, when I look down my bench - I'd rather see eight pairs of eyes pleading to go in the game than the back of Rogers' head.

16. Live

Live Member

I'm keeping this thread alive in hopes that someone close to the staff considers this option.

Unfortunately, I must agree with those who feel that the playoffs are a long shot at best. But I just get pissed off watching someone who makes as much as Cato does, who seemingly understands his importance to the team with Dream out, who has a chance to be a solid pro, and apparently is afraid of the feel of his own sweat!

START CARLOS NOW!!!

------------------

17. Deltar

Deltar Member

Hell no Cato hasn't shown even close to half of the effort that Los does. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always seen Los hustle after every rebound while he's on the court this year. Cato and hustle in the same sentence? No way. It's not happening... and I don't think it's going to happen soon unless someone lights a fire under that guy's ass.

.. and how many of Los's relatives have died? He still plays with a lot of heart. What's Cato's excuse..? Nevermind, I won't even get into that. I'm sure nobody else does either or likes to.. but damn.. Cato has absolutely no work ethic.

------------------
    "The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die for a cause, while the mark of a mature man states he wants to live humbly for one."