1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for a quick poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 25, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, exactly who thinks Rudy or Cuttino was to blame for last night. Rudy and Cuttino bashers that's all. God! Go find an argument, cause that sucks! Now who believes it was our failure to get a defensive rebound for the second freaking OT in a row. Where are the goddamm rebound bashers when I needed them coming home from the most painful loss of the year.

Speak up. I can't hear you!

2. pooh222

pooh222 Member

The reason why they Rockets couldn't get a rebound was because of Rudy's stupid rotation decisions to take Hakeem out. Like I posted earlier, with playing time, Hakeem would be our best rebounder. He's presence was needed in there, and Rudy for some reason, didn't have him in there down the stretch. As far as Cuttino, he made some more bone-headed plays again last night in key situations. Basically, I feel it was a mixture of both bad coaching and bad execution all around for the team. The coaching staff and the team are just not clicking.

------------------

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't believe one play ever causes a loss. If the Wiz wouldn't have been ejected, that free throw could've led to a 2nd OT. I was just pointing out a mistake on Mobley's part, one of many he made on the night, among his great play at the end of the 4th.

What you don't understand heypartner is that posts that are made within 10 minutes of a loss, especially one like this, are often irrational. I was pissed off as hell at Mobley for what I perceived to be a horrible decision (not just the drive, but the weak ass attempt), so I posted something. While you have to walk through the tunnel to your car, most of us have our keyboards handy.

I also think you need to get some help for your inability to take Mobley criticism. Is there something we don't know about your relationship? I mean, I understand the guy gets a lot of flack for his sometimes brainless play, and that someone should defend him, but man, sometimes you're overzealous defense of him as me wondering.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com, coming January 20th, the top 10 films of 2000!

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited January 25, 2001).]

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The reason was Hakeem was begging to come out when he couldn't breathe.

5. heypartner

I view it as simply balancing the board. I don't love Cuttino like I loved Barkley. Defending Barkley was part of my entire being. Defending Cuttino is a counter argument in discussing basketball...nothing more.

I don't expect Cuttino to ever produce a public comment like "I am not a role model." So, he will never teach me anything in life worth forever defending his character.

Barkley is my hero in life. Mobley never will be. Mobley is fun to watch, and challenging Mobley hatas is a fun past-time.

Hey RM95, I appreciate you post here. Thanks for understanding what it is like for me to wade through the bandwagon hatas at the Summit and come to the board to talk about basketball, but only to see a sea of more hatas. I have a keyboard, too. bring it on hatas cause your arguments are too simple to not attack... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 25, 2001).]

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Hakeem came out with 7 minutes of playing time left in the 4th quarter. He couldn't catch his breath by overtime? Los can't grab a rebound or play defense? I think there is plenty of blame for Cuttino and Rudy to share.

The truth, as I see it, is that the Rockets aren't the most talented or smartest bunch of players. Aside from Francis, who looks like a great 2nd star of a team (a la Drexler in 95), we've got a bunch of role players.

As far a Hakeem not playing in crunch time (not just last night but all season), my opinion is that Rudy is reluctant to say "Go win it for us Dream" when Dream won't be here next year. It does this team no good to rely on Dream in crunch time when Dream isn't in the future for the Rockets. That is the only reason I can see for sitting Dream at the end of games.

This team needs to learn to pull out games without Dream sooner or later and perhaps Rudy is forcing them to learn sooner.

------------------
    "We're growling more...I would not say it's a growl. It's not a purr either." -- Rudy T.

7. heypartner

tb-cain,

So is Rudy to blame or not. You say he is, then you make a great (and refreshing I might add) comment about leaving Mo' and KT in there to learn how to rebound at crunch time.

You're riding the fence. This is a quick poll, remember. And you're giving me a hanging chad, man.

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

While Hakeem is here, the Rockets should take advantage of him. Make the playoffs with him this year, and learn to play without him next year. I really think the Rockets need to make the playoffs to have any hope of landing a top free agent like Webber. Hakeem is the ticket to the playoffs. He is what separates the Rockets from about 24 other teams. Lets win now! Use him to our advantage.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I really like how Pooh acts like he knows what's going on while in reality he didn't even see a second of the game. Don't criticize players for decisions in a game you never watched.

I didn't get a chance to watch this game, but sounds like Mobley had quit a lot to do with the team losing again tonight. I just don't know what to say anymore.

Pooh222, in this thread: http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/010774.html

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

10. carlit0

carlit0 Member

What I saw last night was that Steve could not get anything done, I kinda blame Steve and Rudy for not executing. What Mobley did is not any different than normal! I think Steve just froze after the clutch plays from Iverson, especially after he hit that 3pointer in overtime. Steve tried to match it and when he missed, that is when the game was over for him. (Iverson probably got into Steve's head).
    There is when I believe Rudy gave the ball to Cat, and then he screwed up!

Rudy's error was not having Hakeem in for that one rebound.

Philly won only in overtime due to there greater experience and better Star power.
    And the Rockets did not use one of there stars: Hakeem, that could have been the difference. Who knows.....

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

" ... Now who believes it was our failure to get a defensive rebound for the second
    freaking OT in a row. "

Yo!

" ... Where are the goddamm rebound bashers when I needed them coming home from the most painful loss of the year ..."

Bash! Bash!! I am over here, licking my wounds.

I don't know if it was mentioned on the CC BBS yet, because I don't read all posts. But, was there anyone other than myself who thought the Sixers were pretty damn lame as repersentitives of the:

1. Best in the East.
    2. Best Overall record.

I mean I-Man is phenomenal, no doubt. But really, I have watched several of their games this year and they are either all in it and going strong by pushing the ball with an absolutely stifling blue collar defense to back up their game, or they play around like they are fiddling with a bad menu selection in a greasy spoon .... then Iverson/Snow are "kinda, sorta..." forced to pull it out with fabulous theatrics in the fourth.

They are a beatable team. We had them. Despite our silly lackadasical approach and poor choices we had them.

Did anyone else notice? We came within a couple of eyelashes ( and yes, maybe a simple raised arm to "... sorta pretend you are defending the damn cotton with a couple of G**damn seconds to play in a crucial game ..." to beating the above mentioned "Best of's ...".

With any extra push by ANY ROCKET in either defense or offense in the fourth and it was over. We would have handily beat their collective asses.

------------------

12. heypartner

yeah, I was shaking my head at the 76'rs inability to develop any consistency on offense. I love their defense, but our offense has far more weapons.

oeilpere, i'm pleased you joined in. i miss your take after games, especially since you have better seats than me.

man, that game was painful.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 25, 2001).]

13. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh look at heypee leavin no prisoners. heypee showin an attitude? im lovin this! keep it up man

------------------
    Lookin at a 75 year old man in a thong: NASTY
    Lookin at Shaq hit free throws: "O SH**!"

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's anybody's fault.I feel Rudy is trying to find and hone everyone's role,for now and later.Cat will be an integral part of this franchise for a long time.We have issues to deal with, and,if Dream stays(playing like that)then great,regardless, you have to keep developing this team...too....see what will work for these guys as individuals in crunch time,etc.Yes,we want to win now, but definitely later.We are simply undermanned on the front,unless..............?????..It's good to DREAM?
    The balance of power is so heavily tipped to the West ,it isn't even funny.Philly, though is a team that just hasn't been able to stay healthy....until now

------------------

15. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

personally itz my opinion that all 3 guards esp. francis are to blame for the loss. near the end of the game the sixers trapping D made us look foolish and silly. we turned the ball over, didnt get in our offesne, and didnt get good shots. we dont handle trapping D well at all in fact... i'd really hate to see some team press us.

------------------
    --TEX

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

i missed the game last night (no nba league pass in the damn library [​IMG] ), but i guarantee that anytime the rockets lose, it's rudy and cuttino's fault.

but that's the nature of fence sitters. it's easy to take the simple way out - blame the most visible person, the person who takes risks.

[​IMG]

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

HeyP, this can't be an either/or question. As the Cat said in another thread, you win as a team or lose as a team. If we make one more play, anywhere else in the game, we'd have won.

That said, the game did come down to that one rebound at the end. We didn't get it. Failure to grab a defensive rebound off the free throw is a failure of execution, usually. Those guys out there didn't get it done. But the coach also has to take blame for not having the right personell out there. If we had a better rebounder we could have used, then Rudy's to blame as well. Plus he's the coach, and ultimately will be judged on wins and losses.

Does that make me a basher?

------------------
    I am Jack's utter lack of surprise.
    www.clutchtown.com

18. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

You can blame Rudy for the loss in not playing Dream in crunch time, but in the larger issue (learning to win without him) Rudy may be doing the right thing.

So if you're asking if Rudy needs to share blame for the loss <U>LAST NIGHT</U>, then yes.

If you asking me if he's doing his job as the coach for this year and beyond, then yes, he is (if you subscribe to my theory in the previous post).

------------------
    "We're growling more...I would not say it's a growl. It's not a purr either." -- Rudy T.

19. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I didn't see this thread while responding to one of your other ones. If you care to, you can see my reply to your other thread. My vote? Team loss with most of blame on Rudy.

------------------

20. silent j

silent j Member

As far a Hakeem not playing in crunch time (not just last night but all season), my opinion is that Rudy is reluctant to say "Go win it for us Dream" when Dream won't be here next year. It does this team no good to rely on Dream in crunch time when Dream isn't in the future for the Rockets. That is the only reason I can see for sitting Dream at the end of games.
    Maybe it's because Dream can't " win it for us" anymore. He could only play 18 minutes, he couldn't score, he could only rebound and play a little D. Right now, Dream is Charles Jones. Charles Jones had a roll on the team, but he wasn't going to win any games for us in the 4th quarter.
    j

------------------