1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Duncan announces retirement

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 11, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Vivid sounds like a p*rn company also it doesn't seem to work. Duncan doesn't seem like a good business man. Probably why he lost so much money.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Via Tom Orsborn

[rquoter]Duncan to @ViVidStreaming on career: "It was amazing...I really have no regrets about the direction it went."

Duncan on how early life set the tone for NBA greatness: "I wanted to compete. I wanted to be the best at what I was doing."

Duncan says he's been "blessed with amazing coaches," including Pop, who stressed 'don't skip steps.' "I try not to skip steps," Tim says.

Duncan on staying for Sr year: I never found it as odd or peculiar that I wanted to be in school, finish school. It's where my head was at.

Duncan says $ was "never my motivation from Day 1." That's a big reason why #Spurs remain in great shape despite his departure.

Duncan recalls getting "beat up" by likes of Greg Ostertag & Jermaine O'Neal at summer league. "Those guys destroyed me," he says.

Duncan says "I could probably still play," but "I started not enjoying myself."

Duncan on his final season: "It wasn't as fun at times."

Duncan gave big $ to Virgin Island charities recently: "It's not about me. It's about those (charities)."

Duncan thrilled to be considered 1 of NBA's greatest: "I don't care where you rank me. I'm in the conversation....that is an honor."

Tim on not getting paid at times like other stars: "I don't know from year 2 year what anyone was making....that's best perspective to have"

"It's never been a deal to me. I took less money so we could stay competitive." -- when asked about Tiago Splitter being paid more than him.

Duncan says he sometimes has to check his ultra-competitiveness when playing with his kids: "I have to turn it off," he says

Duncan on what he wants to tell #Spurs fans: "I don't think there is anything better to say than thank you."

Duncan spent Monday (day his retirement was announced) watching the Discovery Channel instead of ESPN.

Duncan on his future being wide open: "That's the beauty of it, I don't have a script."[/rquoter]

3. hakeemthagreat

No he wasn't. Stop it. Again, he may have had a better career than 95% of all NBA players. But he was NOT a better player than Kobe or Hakeem. San Antonio will continue to win without Duncan. Replace TD with Hakeem on those Spurs teams and they would've won atleast 8 or 9 rings. Replace Duncan on the Rockets teams and we ain't winning no championships. Same with Kobe

AntiSonic likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VDRyVlwsBrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I disagree. Duncan is just about the smartest post player there ever was in terms of pure b-ball IQ. I think he's the most efficient post player the game has ever seen in the modern era. Easily if you had a guard like Kenny Smith running the point, Duncan can make it all happen. Did you even bother to watch Duncan during the late 90s and 2000s? He was an intangible teammate that worked very will paired up with a good point guard.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have Duncan than Kobe.
    I'd rather have Kobe than Tmac.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

FIFY.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He will be missed.

Actually his game will be missed.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'd rather have Jordan and Dream on 1 team. Thank you.

While y'all at it, throw in Young Lebron as a rookie to play SF. Thanks again.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yeah, he was, as far as Kobe goes. Kobe doesn't beat Duncan in accolades, peak play, winning, success with less help or longevity. He doesn't have better numbers. He doesn't have more titles (he's led teams to less actually). He's gone lotto. He's never been past round 1 without a stud alongside him. He can't match Duncan's impact on both sides.

He's more popular for sure, but a better player or a better career, negative.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. I get it bro. Tim Duncan is more likable, ppl admire his soft mannered personality over Kobe's arrogant anti-social demeanor. Yes I know. But that has nothing to do with who's better than who. Tim Duncan had a better career than just about anybody. But Kobe was a FAR superior player. Don't confuse the 2. With less help? lol. The Spurs were able to rest Duncan and were STILL able to win regular season games (which ultimately stretched his career). On what team were the Lakers able to rest Kobe during the regular season to get him ready for the playoffs? Duncan never went through a rebuilding stage like Kobe

Smush Parker
    Kobe
    Odom
    Chris Mihm
    Kwame Brown

Give me ANY team Duncan played on as terrible as this one? Lebron, Wade, nor KD has played with a roster this terrible. Kobe had less help than Duncan and still was able to carve out a great career. People hate Kobe because he's not as "friendly" but we all know Duncan isn't even the same category as a player. With that said, Bill Russell had the best career of anybody in NBA history, does that make him better than Jordan? Don't be silly bro

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

In what regard? He doesn't impact the game the way Duncan does, mainly because he can't match his defensive impact. How is he superior?

Yes, he has had success with less help at points in his career. See the 2003 Spurs.

The Spurs didn't start resting Duncan until he led them to 4 titles.

Because he impacts the game more than Bryant (two way bigs are more impactful) and it's easier to build a team around him. Because he wasn't getting into beef with teammates which led to Shaq getting traded and a rebuild having to occur. Because he had no issue stepping back so others could shine.

The 2006/2007 version of Odom was better than any teammate Duncan had in 2003 (when he won a title) or 2007 when LeBron got to the Finals.

As far as the Russell comparison, Russell doesn't have better numbers or accolades than Jordan. Kobe does not have better individual numbers or accolades than Duncan.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. GIGO

GIGO Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

16. GIGO

GIGO Member

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kobe engineered Shaq's exit. They both acknowledged leaving many championship seasons on the table because they couldn't get along.

Cry me a river laker lover.

18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

To put Duncan's greatness into perspective, let's establish his leadership in creating the greatest winning culture in modern professional sports.

Duncan never had a losing season. He never even had a mediocre (.500) season. In fact, Duncan led his teams to at least a .600 record in every one of his 19 seasons in the NBA. Overall, during his 19 seasons, the Spurs owned a .710 winning percentage -- with the Patriots ranking 2nd at .704 during that stretch. Duncan's Spurs won 50+ regular season games EVERY year -- the exception being the strike shortened season where the league only played 50 games total (yes, the same year the Spurs won the NBA title).

There are professional teams who have been around for decades and have not had a single .600 season. His teams did it 19 years in a row.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Now let's talk postseason.

Duncan's Spurs made the playoffs every year. That's 19 consecutive postseason appearances, an All-Time NBA record. During that span, the Spurs won 5 championships. Tim Duncan is the only player in NBA history to have started and won rings in three different decades.

I won't even touch his individual records.

This is about winning, and winning is always about TEAM.

Tim Duncan defines greatness simply because greatness is defined as sustained winning. That he achieved this feat in our current era of super friends, endorsement dollars (and the CBA) speaks to his humility and fierce competitiveness as a man.

Tim Duncan, Greg Popovich, R.C. Buford (and even David Robinson) deserve every accolade for building the best winning culture and 'team-first' franchise known in sports today.

And here's the best part.

This was all made possible because Duncan always knew it was genuine team effort -- from top to bottom. He would be the last to accept the credit -- publicly or privately -- for being the greatest winner in modern NBA history.

This sums it up best...

[​IMG]

Houstunna, RocketWalta, Lar and 4 others like this.
  19. hakeemthagreat

Impact the game? lol. The Spurs were still successful WITHOUT Duncan which allowed him to rest many regular season games. If his impact was so great, then how can the Spurs STILL be elite without Duncan on the team? Or did Duncan "play a role" on a great team put together by a great organization and great coach. Name any of the Kobe's teams that could've still been great without Kobe? On what team could Kobe afford to rest in the regular season? NONE. Why? Because Kobe's impact on his team was bigger and it's not even close.

At that point? He's ALWAYS had HOF's surrounding him. He's always had a system that allowed him to miss extended time or rest games. What was the 2003 roster?

Lol. You want to make this into a "he's just a better person" argument SO bad. I don't care who was the better person. Facts are facts. The Spurs were always great even without Duncan in the line up. How was he "impacting" the game so much if his team was almost as good without him? You're giving Duncan credit that really belongs to Popovich

Manu Ginobli
    Tony Parker
    Stephen Jackson

20. hakeemthagreat

Shaq also engineered his own exit by coming into camp fat and outta shape. Let's not pick & choose our criticism