1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman can you please double retire 24 for Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 27, 2020.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Funny how you think that someone's in the wrong for thinking him innocent because there was no conviction, while you're fine with labeling him a rapist despite (get ready for this) there being no conviction.

The charges were dropped because the woman decided she didn't want to testify. There could be a number of reasons why she'd decide that, including not wanting to be cross-examined and having her sexual history be aired in public (which was already happening). Her attorneys insisted on Kobe issuing a public apology, which he did, without admitting guilt.

There are likewise a number of reasons Kobe would offer a settlement and she would accept it. The woman had a history of mental issues and suicidal thoughts prior to the event and may have seen a settlement as a way to end all the media circus and be done with this part of her life (at least the legal part of it). Kobe evidently thought a settlement would put this behind him as well, allowing him to get started rebuilding his marriage and his reputation.

While his police questioning responses make it seem like he honestly thought he didn't rape the woman, he definitely knew that he was being quite rough with her, as he compared the bruises on her neck from choking to similar bruises he'd given a different women with whom he'd had an ongoing extra-marital affair.

There are many shades to that case and we may never know exactly what went down that night. But to call him a rapist is just as presumptive as assuming he was innocent.

34to11 and macho GRANDE like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

yeah that's gonna be a no for me dawg...

Nook and don grahamleone like this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i agree with your opinion on kobe, i'm the opposite of a fan myself, but... that's not how the legal system works...

macho GRANDE and topfive like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

All these teams retiring jerseys of players who didn't even play a single game for them don't make any sense.
    What did Kobe ever do for the Mavs? Jordan for the Heat?
    If you want to honor a player there are other appropriate ways.

Retiring jerseys should only be reserved for those who have contributed to the team.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Kobe was amazing but he wasn’t Jackie Robinson

Mazulis, naldodiaz, 34to11 and 3 others like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I would even argue that all teams retiring the jersey number of a player cheapens the honor in most cases.

Only in rare circumstances is it warranted. Jackie Robinson opened major league baseball to millions of players and fans, so it makes sense in that instance. Roberto Clemente died in a plane crash while on a humanitarian mission before he'd retired as a player, but his number was retired only by the Pirates, which also makes sense. Kobe wasn't even playing anymore; the Rockets retiring his jersey makes no sense at all.

#46 topfive, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. don grahamleone

Even mentioning this idea is disrespectful to Moses, to the city of Houston, to Houston fans, and to Moses' family.

[​IMG]

8. don grahamleone

Gretzky has the most goals ever scored in NHL history. He also has twice as many assists as he does goals. He's the unquestioned GOAT in hockey. Kobe is not that for the NBA. Great great great player, but it's not even close to the same.

Mazulis and DeBeards like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed.
    He gave his blood sweat and tears for Houston..but you are going to make him share the honour with someone who strived to beat the Rockets and found success in our failure?

No.

#49 malakas, Jan 27, 2020
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Stupidest idea ever.

Kobe has not done anything in basketball or outside of basketball that warrants another team retiring his jersey

Marteen, Nook, HayesStreet and 2 others like this.
  11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Sure it is. The game of Hockey has changed tremendously since Gretzky's time. He dominated hockey in the equivalent of the Bob Cousy/Bill Russell era. Totally different game now than it was back then, and even Gretzky acknowledges that he wouldn't be anywhere near as good playing in todays game.

Back in his era we hadn't even discovered yet that hockey pucks should be kept frozen. Players were still playing without helmets & the quality of ice was absolute garbage. Some were even still using ambidextrous wooden sticks.

I'm also an Edmonton native, so I know the impact he's had on the city first hand. If Gretzky can have his number retired league-wide because he racked up alot of points, then I couldn't see why the NBA couldn't retire the number of Kobe, who was essentially a big brother to half of the NBA, if not more. Kobe is also far more internationally respected than Gretzky.

12. don grahamleone

What record does Kobe hold that measures up to someone as great as Gretzky? He doesn't have the most blocks, points, assists, steals, rebounds, championships, nothing. It's not the same at all. Kobe was a great player, Gretzky was a GREAT player.

Be honest, have you ever been a Lakers fan? If you're not a Lakers fan, what do you point to that tells me that he deserves a league wide number retirement? Over Jordan? Over Bill Russell who broke many barriers? Please inform me what makes Kobe better than them?

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

None of them died tragically in a helicopter crash with their daughter.

That's the difference.

What makes Jackie Robinson the greatest baseball player ever? There's nuances to situations like this.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  14. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

You understood correctly. Here is one very pro-Kobe obit from the Lakers ESPN writer.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28569693/kobe-bryant-never-stopped-trying-inspire

I have no problem with people liking Kobe. He was an amazing player. We can never really know what happened in 2003, and he did seem to get wiser as he got older. That doesn't mean the Rockets should retire his number.

#54 intergalactic, Jan 27, 2020
    macho GRANDE and don grahamleone like this.
  15. don grahamleone

Dying tragically is not sufficient.

I feel f-ing stupid right now trying to explain the value of Jackie Robinson to the league, the country, to other sports other than baseball...

Our country was extremely racist when Jackie was alive. Far more than it is today. People openly yelled the N word at players with impunity. Black folks were being hung for the color of their skin, raped, robbed and insulted on the street like it was nothing... and it was at this time he entered a white baseball league. The entire league was white except for Jackie Robinson. The insults flew onto the field of play, but he moved on and forward. His performance and actions added up to all leagues being integrated and sports being the great environment it is today. There is no Kobe without Jackie. So please, have some respect for Jackie while you're hurt by this loss of your favorite player from your favorite team. Kobe will be missed, but he'll never be for sports what Jackie was. It's not fair of you to put them on the same pedestal. Kobe was a wise man. I'm sure he'd agree.

Mazulis, CCity Zero, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Do something 1 night to honor his legacy and impact on the game/fans of the game. Retiring his jersey when he was never a part of your franchise? That ain’t it. It’s still strange to me that Miami retired MJ’s number like he had any sort of connection to the place.

Mazulis, 34to11, macho GRANDE and 2 others like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I read the article you posted. In your original post, you made it sound like Kobe had some major skeletons in his closet that, if made public, would completely tarnish his image and reputation.

Are those the only serious issues that befell him? Besides the infamous incident, a less-than-amiable relationship with parents and being called "uncoachable" and "selfish" are not head turners / eyebrow raisers.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

I agree with the posters saying that we shouldn't retire #24, since Kobe never played for the Rockets. However, maybe like a "24" patch worn on game unis for the rest of the season would be pretty stellar.

Or, do something really cool at the all-star game.

CDrex, GotGame15 and malakas like this.
  19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Thanks for the history lesson, even though I'm very well aware of the impact Jackie had on the nation, but you simply cannot acknowledge the nuance of one situation, while completely ignoring the nuance of the other.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx a lot for the history lesson. I never even heard of this man so I will be sure to check out his story.

In bball there are also a few pioneers who fought against racism and the establishment i.e Oscar Robertson however they don't have their jerseys retired league wide.

don grahamleone likes this.