1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thread Quotas

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Mango, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Is there a setting in VBulletin to control the number of threads started by posters?

Limiting people to one thread per Forum in a 24 hour time period seems like a fair balance between freedom and restraint.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Interesting idea, Mango. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. Some might, I would imagine, but considering that just about anything of interest is apt to get a thread started by one of the 26,000-plus members we have now, I don't think a limit would inhibit a discussion.

3. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Sounds like a good idea, however I think once the season starts we should limit them to just 2 threads per week.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Agree completely on limiting the number of threads per poster.

That is why I'm putting my question here rather than start a new thread.

I can't seem to find the draft selection contest that Clutchfans has had in previous years. Is there one? Will Candlegreen be able to defend his title?

5. Mango

...and some people should be limited to one thread each year.

Far too many Artest threads on this BBS.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

also thread starters should be based on seniority.

if you have been around since

1999 - 5 threads
    2000-2002 - 3 threads
    2003-2005 - 1 thread
    2005 - 1 thread every month

Us veterans would never start 5 Ron Artest threads.
    instead we would have a very good one and creative one too.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

*arkoe tries to remember the last thread he started... :confused:

Edit: Hmm... only two this year. I will have to up my thread count to compete with the great quantity thread starters of this board.

#7 arkoe, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I never get how some people cannot resist the urge to start threads. I seldom think of something that's worth a new thread AND has not already been discussed.

9. Mango

You keyed on Quantity, which is the main point, and far too many confuse it with Quality.

I have probably started more threads in this Forum than all other Forums combined .......... and I know that portrays me as a grouch or similar.

I can only guess what motivates those who are fond of starting new threads. Perhaps they think it is the best way to gain recognition and get remembered by others on the BBS. If I wanted to just read NBA related stories, there are more efficient ways of doing it than viewing the GARM & NBA Dish to watch multiple Artest & Horry threads get initiated. It is disappointing to me if the Threadstarter is unwilling (unable?) to defend the position - idea that they have decided to promote by starting a thread. They probably aren't too fond of me either, so call it even.

The best - strongest posters always have my attention when they post. If I see their Moniker listed with the Last Post in a thread, I will venture into the discussion to see what they wrote. At times, the actual topic under discussion becomes secondary.

If I reflect on the group of what I think of as the Best Posters, whether it is limited to a Top 5 or expanded to a Top 25, they know what they are talking about and write clearly. They aren't driven to start threads to gain recognition because they realize that Quantity (mentioned by arkoe above) isn't the same as Quality.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bah on seniority. Some posters have shown they pick up wisdom the longer they post, others unfortunately have shown an inability to improve and in some cases actually regress.

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

All the threads titled "[Nba Player]?" are getting really annoying. It's like they're just sitting there in a chair and magically think, "hey, [insert shtty basketball player here] only has a ridiculous amount of money on his contract and/or sucks really bad.
    I should make a post on Clutchfans, with a question mark after their name. Then people will remember me, and be like, "yeah, dntrwl is hella cool. Everything he says happens in real life. I wish I was him." Then maybe I'll get promoted to Contributing Member even though I don't donate. Straight cash baby. H-town. Real talk. Go USA."

I'm down with a GARM quota, limit 1 per every year for someone whos been demoted before, and around 1 per 2 or 3 months for regular members. Not much to be said that hasn't been said around the GARM, other than flaming idiots.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Glad to have a 1999er on the side of us barbarians. ;)

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I posted this idea some time ago, but that was before I took leave of D&D. Would also be a good idea in GARM.

14. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

For as much effort as you seem to be putting in as a BBS policeman you might as well be a mod.

15. Mango

There would be perhaps two or three unhappy people if that happened.

I used to put in more effort, but that was years ago. Now, I just vent from time to time.

The people who start a thread and have a ? in the title would have problems. If you are going to go to the effort of starting a thread, then have enough faith in your thoughts & ideas to make a Declaration rather than showing caution and uncertainty that the ? suggests.

The people who haven't been on the BBS for hours or days and still start a new thread twenty seconds after arriving because they think a story they read elsewhere has yet to be explored on the BBS would have problems.

The people who take a position in a thread, but flee when they are asked to explain & support their position would have problems.

The people who start a new thread because they think that their thoughts are so Special that they don't fit into an existing thread would have problems.

Probably more than two or three people would be unhappy with me. At least the Clutter would be reduced and people would have to raise their Games to a higher level.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

+1

;)

that looks so much better than ditto doesnt it?

17. rz04

rz04 Member

This idea might not be such a bad idea. But unfortunately too many experienced posters ahem*DD*ahem start a lot of threads that could be combined into one.

I know I know I am only a rookie, but honestly there are so many duplicate threads about relatively the same thing out there. Can't we just have a few stickied threads so there aren't a clog of threads that talks about the same thing? There are so many duplicate type threads that a lot of good ones gets drowned out.

For example we could have a "Official Thread for Rockets Related Rumors" or "Official Thread for Player Off Court Activities", "Official Thread for Roster Improvement Ideas" (that could be for you DD :D ), or the always popular "Official-OMGWTF-WHY-IS-MOREY-AND-LES-SO-CHEAP-FOR-NOT-GETTING_(insert max contract all star player here)".

Just my $.02.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why not an official "Whiners thread"?

I never understand why talking to fellow Rocket fans about various ways to improve the team, or whether a certain player might be of interest is annoying.

Don't people have a choice to select a thread and to participate in it or not?

Personally, I like to discuss ways to improve the team, and if there are new players to discuss, then I make a thread about that player and get opinions.

For instance, Carney today.

Isn't that what being a fan is about? Discussing the Rockets?

What I don't understand is the constant whining about it, if you don't like it, don't click it.....

Everyone has the power in their own hands...........

DD

#18 DaDakota, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

oh please Dak

you damn well know what the subject is really about.
    your problem is that you are one of those that likes to start threads about every random thought coming into your head, so this thread offends you.

If the quality of the random thoughts was a little higher, you would not see the complaints. You have been here long enough to know what kind of standards alot of the older members have for thread starting.

Are you honestly sit there adn try to claim there is NO reason to restrict the amount of duplicate threads created by many of the newer members?

MANY MANY of the threads in question could be addressed in existing threads...starting a new one just to make sure everyone sees YOUR thoughts on the subject is just glorified attention whoring.

Its painful to say, but there is no question in my mind that the quality of the threads in GARM are barely better than the ESPN boards...I alwasy thought we prided ourselves in having the superior board...not too many seem to care anymore. :(

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry, you are saying random thought threads are of low quality? Isn't that just your opinion?

Personally, I enjoy talking about the Rockets.....and discussing different players and whether they fit in.....and while you are claiming something is a random thought, to me that is just discussing various players and how they fit on the Rockets.

I do think having threads for certain types of OVERALL of GLOBAL Topics like random trade threads etc makes sense.

But to me if someone is about to be bought out, ala Marbury, why not discuss whether he fits on the Rockets?

Or, if someone has been traded and is now on a team where there are too many pieces like Carney, why not discuss if he fits with the Rockets....

These are specific topics, not ones that fit into a random trade thread, or a catch all players thread..

A certain thread about a particular player is EXACTLY what Rockets discussions should be about.

I know some people like to complain, I get that, they want to see this place as it was in the beginning, just a few guys sitting around talking Rockets, but it has grown beyond that, and to me complaining about it is akin to watching old grandmas sitting around clamoring for the good old days.....

This is a global community now, and with it comes challenges and discussions of a wide variety of topics, and some people are not going to like those discussions, but what bugs me, and I guess I am now whining about the whiners.....is that it is a persons CHOICE to participate or not....

I do agree in combining the duplicate threads.....that is what Mods do, and I do see a lot of duplicate threads......not by me...but those get cleaned up....by the mods......

Lord knows I personally can get too into one subject, like V-Span and JVG etc, and Clutch rightfully shut me down for getting locked in.....but complaining about people discussing ways to improve the Rockets, to me is just flat out whining.

DD

#20 DaDakota, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008