1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts and Advice to Hope and Prayers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not having much fun with this group... I miss Deke and the finger wag. I miss someone getting cocky. I miss someone talking sh....well, anyway. I guess what I miss is good play - and good defense. What's happened and how does it get fixed without breaking the RedBank? Well, I think Rick needs to face some facts and acknowledge that the 'back in my day' is still back there and deserves some respect but it ain't today and it ain't now. Time to roll the dice with your own instincts, Rick. Look at it like this and just accept what's going on.

Your team is not running well because your team is not being RAN well. The KEY, Rick...the KEY is to put the ball in the basket and stop the other team from doing the same. What you need is either someone REALLY tall to score the ball or stop the ball and someone who can get to the hole or get there before the other guy gets to the hole. What??!!?!??! It's like this:

AB is just not as good of a PG or 'basketball' player as we make him to be. Is it hard to continue getting better every year? Yes, but that's life in the NBA. His skills are rather limited. He is a shoot-first PG that rarely knows 'when' to shoot first and when NOT to go baseline and get trapped in the air and throw a pass to someone out top. His defense is below-avg, his passing instincts are way below-avg, his running of a break is below-avg, and his general 'feel' for the game, outside of a few well-spun layups, is below avg. Yes, he is a really good 3pt shooter when he's en fuego!

Look, Brooks could have a GREAT career if he did nothing more than drive two steps, stop.....and pop. Ahh, the mid-range jumper. For some reason, he will not shoot it. And if he hasn't started shooting it by now, he's not going to.

Lowry is a fighter. He makes up for what he can't do with hustle and fire. He does hit big shots, he is a great finisher, he is above-avg in pg skills, and has a good 'feel' for the game. Again, he hustles like a mad-man. Between Lowry and Brooks, Lowry is by far the better PG for this basketball team. This is an easy call for Adelman.

However, these two guys are not the only PG's on the team. IMO, and it's only my opinion, I believe Ish is the best guy to have on the court when you need the team to 'run like a machine.' Whether it be first team or 2nd team, Ish gets EVERYONE better shots. He does this EVERYTIME he walks on the court. He does this because his instincts are pure PG - pure - pure - pure PG! Ish could average 11 assists a game if he played 40 min a night. Does he have a lot to learn about the game itself? Of course - my God, of course! But his feel for passing the ball and for the game is unequaled on this team by anyone other than maybe Yao or Shane or Hayes. The reason I mention these names is because they understand that each possession is a goal, whereas most players see each possession as 'who gets to shoot this time' or 'what can I do that's cool on this trip down'?

My feelings are this:

1. - we need a Dalembert, a McGee, or a farm-trade like Bogut - period! We need a shot blocker, we don't need a dominant 'drop the ball down to' type center, even though Bogut does play like that, but he's Bogut and he blocks a helluva lotta shots, too.

2. - we need a guy who can get to the basket. Why are guys so open when Ish is in the game? Because he can get to the rack - ANYTIME that he wants to. That is such a HUGE asset. I know some think that AB can get to the rack whenever, too, but he's not really good at it. Oh yeah, and he's a terrible dribbler. And did I mention that Ish has better handles than anyone to ever play in a Rockets uniform? His outside shot, you say? Well, if that comes around to NBA average, he becomes a 3rd stringer who just turned into a top 8 PG. There's a reason why Ish is here and not in Golden State right now.

3. - LENGTH. My God, how hard is it to draft a guy who is 7'0" and can jump and block. I don't care if he can shoot or not.

4. - Play the ENERGY guys. Play the SMART guys. Sit the SLOW guys. Play the BEST guys. Patterson? That dudes busts it every play, plays the pick and role like a vet, has a GREAT grasp of the game, and is full-tilt all the time. And he plays HEAVY. Above the rim, yes...but he's like a hard, heavy, strong player who moves like a light player. (If that makes sense at all.)

I've seen Hill and Brooks (And Ariza last year :) pout enough to say let's move on. If Hill is here as a 2-3 C/PF, I'm okay with that until he learns the game better...but PP is ready to go right now.

Oh yeah, we gave up a #1 for TWILL. Are you telling me that he can't steal 8 minutes from Battier and/or Bud? Really? Ya just gave a #1 for him. You can see he's raw but you can also see that he HAS INSTINCTS for the game. He gets others involved. That wins basketball games when guys like CLEE, who I like, starts holding it because that cat ain't given that rock to nobody...never!

Bud - go to the hole, son!
    Chuck - My god, I love your game, bro! Better every year!
    KMart - keep it up but be more selfish!
    Lowry - Work on that shot.
    JHill - HUSTLE!
    Shane - Find a realtor.
    Luis - My god, I love your game, bro! Better every year!
    AB - stop walking everywhere and start looking like you're in the game. Shoot your mid and STAY AWAY FROM THE FREAKING BASELINE! I don't care if it's wide open for the game winner and everyone else is on the other side of mid-court, STAY AWAY FROM THAT FREAKING BASELINE and if you have to, smash your freaking pigeon-toe with a hammer but keep IT away from the basketball while you dribble!
    Ish - work on your shot. And smile less, find a mirror and practice your scowl!
    CLEE - keep shooting.
    TWILL..........................pray more!

Thoughts from the ledge with a cold, Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper! :grin:
    DR

16 people like this.
  2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Everybody dust off your decoder rings.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Pow, the doc has spoken.

a lot of people have made these remarks too but were told they know nothing about basketball. Nice to know that some people in the know share the same thoughts.

#4 Stevierebel, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Seems like the pain in his heart has turned him into a straight-shooter rather than a cryptic...

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

5 stars. well said.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's amazing how having a bad 1/2 to a year can make people forget about the two years prior.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the GARM has improved today

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I think AB looks lost as a reserve. He let the game come to him last year, and now he's being asked to be that J. Terry type, come in shooting mid range jumpers and bring super extra energy that Lowry brought last year...well, that aint him. He is better at running the show full time, read defenses, get in rhythm, get his confidence going, and then produce.

I know Lowry killed it in December, and he's kept it up a bit since, and I know he deserves to start....but its killing Brooks' game. I think this team would perform better if the roles were either reversed, or one of them gets traded to bring in a big guy....

As far as defense, this team aint got the personnel to play any. Besides an undersized Chuck, and Battier, no one else plays any. Lowry's has gone way down lately, specially on defending the break, and Lee doesn't get enough minutes to show much....Without a true shot blocker, this team will struggle, as it was designed to play around Yao...

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Only if its goal is to mirror a sports call-in show.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey Doc,

Good content, I don't agree with all of it, but I agree with the premise of most of it.

;)

DD

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree about the mid range game from brooks.In general, the mid game in the nba has been lost for a long time. For a smallish guy like brooks, the mid game should be his go to shot.

Thabeet, I tell you,thabeet. He would do wounders for the rockets frontline. Of course with his passing and scoring limitations, Adelman probably wouldnt play him. It seems adelman wats more of a polished product than a raw one like Thabeet or even williams.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That's one thought I have Adelman, too: he doesn't seem to like to play the typical defense/rebound-only bigs with limited offensive skills unless he has too. Even when Dikembe was around, I had the impression that Adelman would rather avoid using him unless the matchup dictates so. Chuck Hayes, by the way, is not one of those no-offensive skill bigs since his high post passing is a skill that the Thabeets and Brian Skinners of the world doesn't have.

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Agree with the cryptic DR 100%. I keep seeing "Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor at the trade deadline" when I read Doc's post with my decoder ring-- could this be true?

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

For once I don't believe there's a hidden clue to a major move we should make. If anything Doc has very clearly displayed that we need an above average starting center.

I love Lowry and Ish points, they are both awesome PGs and sadly AB is an undersized SG. PP has to get more PT especially over Hill. It feels good to see someone besides Scola hit the 15' jumper.

Overall great thread, we need more quality posts like this and it's sad that it has to come from someone like this without fear of getting roasted. I mean, like who the hell questions Rick the Ruler, right??? :confused:

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Considering DR hasn't really given us any relevant insider information for years, I'd guess not. His post, to me, reads like an opinion piece on the current state of the Rockets.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Doc Rocket returns!
    Nothing cryptic about this. Doc seems to be venting.

Hey Doc, agree with pretty much everything you said, but keep it on the down low; we want to keep Brooks' value up ;)

You were spot on about PP, Ish, and TWilliams. Also, i hope we can keep chuck, scola, kmart, and Lowry. All of those guys do their jobs well.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'd like to move Bud, Battier, Brooks, Jeffries, and Hill. If Lee doesn't start showing us something, he'll be on this list too. Is this enough to get us the impact player we need?

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Good to hear from you Doc.

Btw - Shane I know a good realtor.