1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Rockets team vs D'Antoni's Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownrox1, Mar 15, 2017.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I recently was having an intense discussion with a buddy of mine over this post on Instagram:

He claims the Suns had wayyyyy more talent than this Rockets team and it's not even close.

I had to argue that point. I'm no doubt a homer to the Rockets, but I really don't feel this Rockets team isn't that far off talent wise than that Suns team?

Maybe I'm delusional?

Thoughts?

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Suns did contend. I contend they got screwed out of a championship by one play

Why argue that, when the whole premise of the first photo is highly debatable. Plus, that SAS team who "beat" the Suns is FAR better than this SAS team. Rockets can take this Spurs team, but they couldn't take that '05-'07 Spurs team.

#2 heypartner, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Absolutely, they did contend. The Spurs got the better of them in most situations but I do think they would've won that series and become legendary if not for the big body-check debacle. That series is one of the biggest blemishes on the NBA along with the Lakers-Kings series in the early 00's.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Those Phoenix teams never had issues scoring in the postseason so that meme is dumb. Mike's offense worked just fine. It was their issues with getting stops and securing defensive rebounds that really hurt them, that and not being able to beat the Spurs. Also, they had a very good chance of winning a championship in 2007 if it weren't for those suspensions.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And they repeated going to the WCF the next year...losing to a 60-win team of Nowitzki, Josh Howard and Terry in their primes. How is a Top 4 finish two years in a row not contending?

The West was absolutely stacked.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

First of all Harden>Nash... now that that is over with Raja Bell over Bev ok... Amare is better than Anderson no doubt. Diaw was a beast back then but Capela and Nene combo is better built at center for playoffs. Matrix is better than Ariza but it's pretty close. But having Lou and Gordon coming off the bench evens things up pretty quickly.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Suns had way more talent than this current Rockets team. That's ok though. We have this offseason to make tweaks to the roster. Joe Johnson shot 48% 3's in 2004-05. Marion was WAY better than Ariza. Marion could play PF in small ball. Ariza can't. Marion rebounded and defended the rim way better than Ariza ever has.

macho GRANDE and jeevinesh like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The ssol suns didn't have great 3-point shooters. I guess maybe joe johnson and barbosa. However I would say their overall talent was better:
    Marion, Amare, Johnson, nash, barbosa.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

and that was with Amare missing the year with microfracture surgery

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

they had there fair amount of shooters at the time, jjohnson, Qrich, barbosa, raja, james jones, eddie house

11. valorita

valorita Member

Phx had more top end talent.
    Rox have deeper offensive roster and James Harden.

macho GRANDE and Ramo$e like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Matrix and Ariza isn't pretty close, like at all

Matrix was a legit all star level player who excelled on both ends.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Right?!

Suns had a chance and were contenders. That horry play and stoudemire suspension were huge.

Either way people get way too hung up on the term "contender." It is such a subjective term.

How do you define if a team "contended" for a title?

.won at least 55 games?
    .made it to at least the 2nd round?
    .made it at least to the finals?
    .had an MVP on the team?
    .had a no. 1 ranked offense
    .tried to win a championship?
    .made the playoffs?

I mean could you argue that the milwaukee bucks are "contending" for a championship?

The only non-debatable way to prove that a team was a "contender" is if that team ended up winning the chip

don grahamleone and BigMaloe like this.
  14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

On the defensive end their close. On offensive Matrix is overall more talented but Ariza in the playoffs usually shows up in terms of hitting the three. Matrix no better than Ariza behind the three.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Doc Rivers won rings with the Boston big 3.

Hasn't won with the Clippers big 3. Different teams can accomplish different things.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No
    You add Joe Johnson then that team had more offensive talent

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I really hope you're joking right now. Matrix was an all star and top 20 player in the NBA, Ariza is nowhere close. Ariza wishes he could have Marion's playoff averages. Marion was having games where he would drop 38 points and 16 rebounds in the playoffs...

Matrix and Ariza are on 2 different planets.

macho GRANDE and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

please hope ariza doesn't shoot like how he did in last years playoffs :eek:

Rocketeer4Life and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Last year nobody gave a care.