1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Is A Preview Of Andrew Yang's World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 5, 2020.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yang was right . Hopefully we don’t butcher our recovery from coronavirus too badly and it turns us off of UBI / govt safety net

from a simple economics standpoint what is the reason this lockdown is hurting so bad ? It’s because of fixed costs .

if you wanna argue that people spend the whole 1k every month and completely adapt to spending that new money maybe the lockdown hurts us as bad ..., but even in that case the 1k you get without having to work , so we’d still be getting “income”

but if people saved a bit more , as I’d argue one is likely to do if you give them extra money ... many people would not be in as desperately bad a situation where they need to get back to work immediately to be able to pay off debts

Furthermore half of this is about uncertainty... on the demand side . How are businesses gonna work if they have no one to sell to ? If people don’t have jobs and incomes then the consumer economy dries up fast .

All the fear of inflation and debt and printing money ,,, don’t get me wrong it’s not like it doesn’t have a downside . But , look at how much we’ve already printed and thrown to big business and is there inflation ?

when’s the last time the fed tried slowing down monetary policy ?

we’ve been hitting pedal to the metal since 08 . The time to stop prolly isn’t during the worst depression we’ve had since the great one .

Yang shoulda won . Now the Dems have to hope that hatred of trump is enough to get people to vote for biden . Who might actually be worse than HRC . I don’t think biden is as immoral of a person , but I think HRC was a sharper individual and may have been more effective .

y’all already know Yang is my boy , and while I was excited to see us trying direct payments and other countries adopting some form of UBI ... it’s clear that this is emergency type stuff vs natural policy that would be in place long term .

I’m worried that if “UBI” gets a bad rap during this time that it will be shunned again . I DO believe Yang’s worries of automation and technology displacing too many workers for the new jobs to appear in time or at all . What do we do then ?

right now we are at a crossing point with corona . There are a lot of ideas about what and how much to govt should do . Depending on what we do now , if it works etc ... we could be in a better or worse place for the next downturn ... or it will take us forever to get out of this one .

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. VanityHalfBlack

Amen Snow, amen!

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UBI isn't remotely Communism. Communism isn't government regulation, it's not universal healthcare and it's certainly not government paying a stipend to citizens. If it was then Alaska would be Communist since they pay an annual stipend to permanent residents.

snowconeman22 likes this.