1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things getting strange in Alabama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is assuming Roy Moore is an outlier. With Trump as POTUS, Bannon never giving up, and Republican holding a 70+ % thumb up of Trump, while having a negative % (ok, maybe sub 50) of establishment Republicans, maybe not the post-primary Roy Moore, but there will be plenty more pre-primary Roy Moore. Other part of the nations aren't as red as Alabama and I think there will be some depressed turnout on one side and the opposite on the other side in 2018.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

On the tax bill, I don't see them having an impact, sadly. Corker is against it. Collins may or may not, depending on how she feels about Obamacare. But I think the others seem fully on board at this point, sadly. I think it's too late in the process for them to start asking for major new concessions, and they seemed generally OK with the concessions already made. As much as some of those guys are anti-Trump, they are still pro-GOP and pro-McConnell.

I just don't see it as anywhere close to 50/50. The map is just too heavily stacked against them. Here's the map:

https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/

Which TWO of the following do we see Democrats winning: AZ, NV, TN, TX, MS, NE, UT, WY.

The only two remotely possible options (barring another Roy Moore type fiasco) are AZ and NV. So they have to win both of those while holding every single one of their Senates in a whole slew of red states (ND, MT, WV, MO, IN) and a bunch of newly purple states (PA, MI, FL). In a wave, they win the Purple ones, but if they even lose one red state, they can't get control.

Also, FWIW, those prediction markets are basically a bunch of small-money amateurs making guesses. People are limited to $850 in risk in a given market, so no serious money is playing there. Also makes it fairly easy to make (small amounts) of money there because people are very simplistic in their thinking. The odds followed the returns last night with no regard to consideration that certain areas had reported heavily or not, etc.

Amiga likes this.
  3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think you are most likely correct, we will see in 2018 if Trump is the albatross around GOP's neck.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont see anything to rejoice over. this is a national embarrassment. a f***ign pedophile barely lost a senate election. and "christians" supported him.

even without the pedophile stuff he should have never gotten this far in 2017. twice removed from the bench. says homosexuality should be against the law. said 9/11 happened b/c america is immoral. says muslims should not be allowed to serve in political office. and "christians" and republicans were good with all that.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Good advice. Maybe many of us should stop gloating so much. Actually, who am I to lecture anyone? I should try to reduce the gloating and the BWAHAHA reactions. It’s become too much about that. I hope that Doug Jones represents his state well.

jo mama likes this.
  6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Y'all Qaeda is real

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It will probably come out that Doug Jones is a secret KKK member now.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You didn't hear? Doug Jones accidentally caressed the breast of a staffer while jumping up and down celebrating the win. He will make a statement later today and retire from the senate.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

George Will, perhaps America's most eloquent conservative voice, calls out Trump for sinking into "unplumbed presidential depths" and ranking Trump as the nation's worst president.

Trump’s Moore endorsement sunk the presidency to unplumbed depths
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.fa02972723d5

FranchiseBlade and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Trump's candidate would have won in a landslide.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Trump’s candidate couldn’t even beat Moore. Here is what Trump said about Strange after endorsing him:

“I’ll be honest, I might have made a mistake,” Trump said at a September rally in Alabama. “If his opponent wins, I’m going to be here campaigning like hell for him.”

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roy Moore is unwilling to concede. Instead of gracefully accepting things or even gracefully challenging the result he doubles down and wallows in victimhood in a 5 minute video.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ines-again-to-concede/?utm_term=.a755b6aeab82

Roy Moore turns refusal to concede into religious crusade: ‘Immorality sweeps over the land’

A day after losing the Senate race in Alabama to Democrat Doug Jones, Roy Moore has issued a new statement refusing to concede the election until completion of the final count. But it wasn’t your typical post-election statement.

It was a four-minute fire-and-brimstone video about abortion, same-sex marriage, school prayer, sodomy and “the right of a man to claim to be a woman and vice versa.”

“We are indeed in a struggle to preserve our republic, our civilization and our religion and to set free a suffering humanity,” Moore said. “Today, we no longer recognize the universal truth that God is the author of our life and liberty. Abortion, sodomy and materialism have taken the place of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

In the video issued by the campaign Wednesday evening, Moore said his campaign is still waiting for the official vote count from Alabama officials. He did not say he would necessarily seek a recount, for which his campaign would have to pay unless the margin turned out to be within half a percentage point. Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill has called it “highly unlikely” that Jones would not be certified as the winner.
    More at link..

Deckard likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Nook, Deckard, KingCheetah and 2 others like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

This swamp just can't get drained fast enough.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

This is apparently the norm for him:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/28/politics/roy-moore-analysis/index.html

Snippet:

He ran for governor in 2006 and 2010, losing in the GOP primaries in each race. Moore lost 66%-33% to Bob Riley in 2006. In 2010, he finished fourth, with 19%. He never conceded either race.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He sounds like the oldest millennial ever

Major likes this.
  19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I still can't believe enough people were dumb enough to be fooled by those accusations. So many indicators of fraud. Gloria Allred, saying nothing during the primary and only coming forward once the deadline for changing candidates had passed, a yearbook signed by someone that supposedly molested you as a child. Oh wait, I added half the inscription later. Oh wait, I forgot to mention that he presided over my divorce 20 years later. Seems like most folks would requested another judge or protested upon seeing that their molester was presiding over their divorce case.

Such a blatant con job. And the sad thing is that it worked. I fully expect to see more of the same against some more prominent republicans in 2018.

KingCheetah likes this.
  20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, you believe it's a sad thing that a bigot that trolled for teenage girls at the mall didn't get elected. That's on you.

B-Bob likes this.