1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things getting strange in Alabama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 22, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah sorry I thought you were making a joke about comparing Durden/Pitt with Moore/Bannon re their abs.

But yes When referring to the terrorist with good abs I was talking about Brad Pitt/Tyler Durden not Steve Bannon and Moore. The fact that it is confusing I guess is kind of scary.

If you haven't seen or read Fight Club then I can see where I would lose you though. I was speaking to how someone like Steve Bannon sees himself In his own mind as an agent of chaos for the greater good vs what in reality what that character really is.

2. Anticope

Anticope Member

Do they really, though? Where's the liberal version of Roy Moore? The false equivalency that's been created here is what's a huge part of the reason that Trump won, it's how the "Hillary and Trump are both terrible candidates" narrative came about.

Deckard and zksb09 like this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't know about all these bubbles but I can safely say I'm not interested in a shared future with ignorant bigots, misogynists, homophobes, and Christian or Muslim fundamentalists. If that is the choice then this is going to get really ugly because I'm not having it and tens of millions just like me aren't having it.

zksb09 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

I think he tries too hard.

5. Buck Turgidson

He's the same guy (this is where I remember him from) that fought for the 10 commandments outside the Alabama Capitol? Supreme Court? Can't remember exactly where.. He's a thumper.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I have noticed this as well.

People on the far right believe they speak for the majority.

People on the far left think they speak for the majority.

7. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Well said ...

8. Buck Turgidson

9. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Ok but who we do we have on the far left in the public sphere right now? We have plenty on the far right.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I am not talking about particular politicians.

I am talking about citizens and the values they hold that they believe represent the values held by a majority of Americans.

11. zksb09

zksb09 Member

I don't disagree but the threat to this country right now is mainly from the far right, right now. The far left at this time is only a bogey man.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think we're well aware that large swaths of people in the so-called fly over states are ignorant bigots. We can see that from who they continue to vote for and the policies they continue to support. The recent election in Alabama is further proof of this fact. I don't think we're under any illusions to the reality.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

delete.

#33 B-Bob, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  14. zksb09

zksb09 Member

deleted reply to deleted post ;-)

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I address some of this in a post at the top of page 3 in dandorotik's "Listen" thread.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

With all due respect, you are the one who finds it hard to imagine where they found someone who believed the things this guy believes. Walk into your local Baptist Church and go to a Sunday school class and ask them if it should be legal for gays to adopt. Heck, when the decision that overturned this goober's whole argument came down (it was a Texas case before the Supreme Court) plenty of Texans on local talk radio were outraged. Hell, the whole case was about a neighbor turning her neighbors in for having gay sex wasn't it?

While there used to be a political spectrum, now it's more like political islands.

The hard left island, the "middle island" and the hard right island. People on the right/left can't even imagine that the other side exists in anywhere but crazy town.

Edit: Deck, I'm not attacking you I think you are a great poster. I'm pointing out to you that this guy is not hard to find in America today and it's a mistake to just write him off as a crazy.

Invisible Fan, B-Bob, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  17. justtxyank

Alabama just elected a man who wrote a court decision referencing EXECUTION as an available tool the state had to protect children from homosexuals.

And he didn't just win, he smoked the other guy despite Trump's endorsement for the other jabroni.

There is absolutely delusion going on because many people find that hard to believe, don't know anyone who feels that way, don't think it represents America, etc.

18. TheresTheDagger

I think some folks forget just how big a country this is.

Off topic, how are things going for you and your family? Haven't forgotten about your predicament since Harvey.

19. Buck Turgidson

I don't know if it's just me and what I see, but the right seems to be seriously digging in their heels and becoming even more staunch in their stances. Almost like a "FU" type of mindset.

20. justtxyank

Thanks for the concern. We are doing ok, living in an apartment.

TheresTheDagger likes this.