1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'They're not that good' huddle a reflection of the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Fact: The Rockets have difficult finding energy and focus at beginnings of games.
    Fact: The Rockets have difficult finding energy and focus consistently throughout games... especially at the beginning of games.

And, if this video is any indication of how the Rockets mentally prepare for games, well, I'm glad it was shown for all the world to see, including the Warriors, because that's what happens, whether to Warriors saw the video or not. As Draymond Green put it best, “I’m sure they were frustrated because we’re not that good. I mean, if we’re not that good, they’re in trouble.”

We've seen these videos:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Neoih-gRdbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q4PE2hSqVnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heck, even this one...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q7vtWB4owdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Instead, we get "They're not that good" holding Poké Balls (which they also used before the Blazers playoff games last year - yeah, that worked out real well for them.)

No, McHale isn't going to focus his team mentally like Phil Jackson did, that's just not who he is, but it sure ain't gonna happen with the players preparing themselves with a rallying mumble of "They're not that good" while relying on the spirit of magic video game balls for the win.

Seriously, grow up guys.

To all you adult Pokémon fans out there, no offense.

1 person likes this.
  2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

They love to use #SwagChamps! Must be the effect of the loss of Garcia.

They should get the Red Rowdies in there to psych them up.

But seriously, a better game plan and quick adjustments within the game are the order of the day.

3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

LOL.....You underestimate McFail's incompetence. Just be glad we don't have to hear about more excuses like "my lead assistant left so i can't be held responsible for this piss poor showing" :rolleyes::eek::mad:

4. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

It's not about what Harden said, it's about the whole attitude of the team mentally preparing for a game where saying something like that is par for the course.

I'll bet the poké balls are Dwight's idea, those are the kinds of things it feels aggravated Kobe in Dwight not taking the game seriously... not having the heart of a champion. Like I said, they used poké balls to motivate themselves before the Blazers' playoff games. Or, in other words, I don't think you saw players using poké balls before the Bulls or Heat won their championships, or the Patriots before their playoff games. Again, it's not about the poké balls per se, but about being grounded in reality, not dismissing opponents or idolizing video game characters, children video game characters to boot.

It starts to make me finally succumb to the criticisms that Harden and Howard just aren't the kinds of focused, fiery, serious motivating leaders the Rockets need to have that championship mentality, especially at the beginning of games. They're more like the comic relief and the surfer dude in the back of the room, which are fine for a team, but not the ones you count on when the going gets tough, or when you need to kick it up several notches. That just isn't Harden or Howard... at all. Never will be, probably. Maybe for a week, but it can't last, because it doesn't seem to be in their DNA.

What should happen, IMO, is having a leader provide that role. It's not Ariza, too mellow. It can't be Motiejunas, too green, same for Jones. Beverley seems more of a cheerleader than a team leader, he also has trouble keeping his emotions in check. Josh Smith, uh, no. Who is that calm assertive guy? I honestly don't think the Rockets have one.

The Rockets IMO need a team leader in a trade more than anything. 'Assets' and talent ain't everything, because when it comes to hard-nosed championship leadership, yeah, "they ain't that good."

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I have no issue with what Harden said. I have an issue with whoever in the Rockets organization thought it was a good idea to share it.

1 person likes this.
  6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

They throw those balls out to the fans at the beginning of games when they come out of the tunnel...

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

They need Vernon Maxwell on this team... Get serious or fight... The current leaders are super duper soft, charmin tissue paper soft!