1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Theoretical] All-time greatest Rockets vs. ______

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JVL713, Mar 16, 2011.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I'm pretty bored here at home, and I think it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion on this.

If you could take ANY player to ever play for the Rockets, and have them play a 7 game series at 100% health and in their prime(regardless of whether or not they were in their prime during their tenure with the Rockets), who would your starting 5 be? And which other "All-time greatest" team would be their best match up?

I'm sure you guys can do better than I will, but my starting 5 would be:

PG- Steve Francis
    SG- Tracy McGrady
    SF- Clyde Drexler
    PF- Hakeem Olajuwon
    C- Yao Ming

* I'm not in any way trying to say Healthy Yao was a better Center than Hakeem, but I think defensively Hakeem would match up way better against quicker Power Forwards than Yao would.

Picking a Center was definitely the toughest choice due to the fact that although we have no center at the moment, this franchise, over the years, has been blessed with several amazing centers. In the end though, I don't think anyone would be able to defend the Shanghai/Dream shake working side by side.

I will leave the opposing starting 5 up to discussion, because I am not as familiar with NBA history as many of you are.

Have Fun :grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'd replace Francis with Bob Sura.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well since you moved around a few people, I'd agree except I'd rather have Dream at center and Mosas Malone at PF or vice versa. Nothing against Yao but if you move Dream to PF then a Malone/Dream HOF frontcourt would be nearly unstoppable to contain on both ends of the court. I might put Calvin at the PG spot even though I think he was more of a SG, guy is in the HOF so he did something right lol.

Edit - Rose, Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Gilmore would be a HECK of a matchup.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

PG- McGrady
    SG- Drexler
    SF- Pippen
    PF- Barkley
    C- Olajuwon

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

If healthy and prime, I'd agree mostly because the balance/combination. Since yao can only be stopped by fronting or double, Hakeem will take care of what's left.

6. Cesar^Geronimo

think of the Lakers team:

Magic Johnson
    Rick Barry
    Kobe Bryant
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Wilt Chamberlain

Shaq off the bench (how do you pick between Shaq, Chamberlain and Jabbar)

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

PG-Steve Francis
    SG-Clyde Drexler
    SF-Dunno
    PF-Barkley or Thorpe
    C-Olajuwon

vs

PG-Magic Johnson
    SG-Michael Jordan
    SF-Larry Byrd
    PF-Elvin Hayes
    C-Bill Russell

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Moses Malone was pretty good but I would still take yao and hakeem.

Francis is the obvious weak one to remove. Calvin murphy was good but I didn't get to see him play. Cassell maybe at point.

I would have elie,horry,hayes off the bench along with moses malone,elvin hayes sharing minutes with yao and hakeem. Perhaps insert deke in spot situations at C.

Our thinnest position is point guard. I think at this point kevin martin is a good backup to Mcgrady. Trying to think of another good sf. I suppose glen rice in their prime and pippen. and oop I suppose I forgot about Barkley...hmmm

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like this team better.
    It's not about having a bunch of all stars, it's about chemistry and balance.

PG- Kenny Smith
    SG- Vernon Maxwell
    SF- Robert Horry
    PF- Ralph Sampson
    C- Hakeem Olajuwon

You have a monster front line with versatile big men in Ralph, Dream, and Horry. Shot blocking, shooting, passing, defense.
    Prime Kenny Smith was blowing by John Stockton and running the pick and roll to the T.

Vernon Maxwell brings you fire and superior 1-on-1 defense, plus a knack for hitting big shots.

Plus everybody on this team has been to the NBA Finals, none of them are losers.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yao
    Hakeem
    Pippen
    Drexler
    Mcgrady (point forward)

Bench:
    Barkley,Moses Malone ,Deke,Glen Rice,Calvin Murphy,cassell,elie

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know Pippen wouldn't be anywhere near my roster. He'd probably sabotage the whole thing.

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

C - Hakeem Olajuwon (UH)
    PF - Elvin Hayes (UH)
    SF - Tracy McGrady
    SG - Clyde Drexler (UH)
    PG - Calvin Murphy

Hayes scored 27313 points in his career (8th, all-time). He had 16279 rebounds in his career (4th, all-time). He averaged 21 points and 12.5 rebounds a game for his career. One of the greatest to ever play. A significant participant in one of the most important events in basketball history.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9e31mA5clAg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9e31mA5clAg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="349"></embed></object>

3 people like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love this lineup. Put them on the floor and have fun coming up with a bench. The Rockets have had an incredible amount of talent since their inception. We've been lucky overall, even with the bad luck we've had the last few years. Many teams haven't even sniffed a championship, or had anything near the talent the Rockets have enjoyed during their history.

And all hail the Coogs!

1 person likes this.
  14. J-Man

J-Man Member

That is a great team.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

You know, I understand Moses Malone was a LONG time ago but he averaged 32 and 15 his 2ND MVP YEAR and carried us to the Finals in 80-81. How can a 3-time MVP, 13-time all-star and 8-time all NBA guy not be in your starting five?

#15 rockets934life, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Always have to remind myself of this when thinking of the recent years. :)

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

If I was choosing the players without really thinking of positions:

C : Moses Malone
    PF : Hakeem Olajuwon
    SF : Elvin Hayes
    SG : Clyde Drexler
    PG : Calvin Murphy

:)

18. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Like u said, he played forever ago. I never got to see him play. Picking a center was a tough one.

19. AFS

AFS Member

Why did Pippen make so many rosters? ew.

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Crack..?