1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The_Yoyo's Summer League Report

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.clutchfans.net/
    ("Fan Report from Vegas" in the Multimedia player)

Interesting listen from the <a href="/showthread.php?t=132134">Fan Voice Line</a>. BBS user The_Yoyo has been calling the last few days with reports from Vegas. This one came after last night's game. He gives his view on Brooks and Novak from having been at the games and offers some interesting stuff from a conversation with Rockets GM Daryl Morey.

Great job, The_Yoyo.

2. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

can anyone recap for those of us nailed behind a desk?

would be much appreciated

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Great job YO-YO, awesome work~ sounds like Morey has a personality. I'm glad he wasn't impressed with Landry like me~ meaning he just might figure him out and be open to finding one other pf

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

AH SWEET! there was some other stuff I forgot to mention because robgue and I were in a rush to get out of vegas, but I'll try to call on my lunch break and fill it in. We be doing a recap later with pics later tomorrow or today, depends on when I get them from robgue

5. AMD

AMD Member

I have to agree with Morey...I wasn't too impressed with Landry either but it's only because he massively underachieved. He can be a really good player especially in this offense. He can put the ball on the floor and go around most other PFs in the high post and can also shoot the jumpshot. Plus if he consistently knocks down his jumpshot, him and Yao could be a pretty effective high-low combination. Good pick-up by gettin Scola though, it can never hurt to have a few capable PFs.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

This report was pretty:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GhzOD1amluc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GhzOD1amluc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It's always good to hear some candid words from the GM. In retrospect his entire thought process in drafting Brooks was completely correct. All the PF's that we might have drafted at 25 instead of Brooks were available at 31 (except for Splitter). And Brooks is showing himself to be a good pickup so far. As for Landry, he isn't setting the world on fire, but it's still early.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

they had high praise for novak? wow, i didn't think he did that well. also, yo-yo, did you forget about hayes, or do you realy think scola/butler is going to be our main rotation at pf?

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks for the report!! I am jealous that yall got to attend some of the games.. not to mention chat with Morey. Next year I am sooo taking a week off and going to Vegas.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

well i did for a sec but has hayes officially resigned yet?

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

not yet.. I think an offer is on the table. I believe its just a matter of time.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i'm pretty sure they signed hayes and deke in the past week or so..

edit: they have made contact and put the offers on the table...nothing official, but they expect both to return to the Rockets

12. Realjad

Could you all imagine if the Red Rowdies got a bus and showed up to a couple of those Vegas Summer league games?? I would PAY just to see everyone's reaction toward them.. Also I bet all the players would meet and greet ;) and if for the sexy red rowdy chicks, maybe more~ what happens in vegas stays in vegas j/k ;)

Though I'm all for the movement of hooking one of our red rowdy girls up with someone on the inside like a morey or adelman, it would be like the russian spy days except the Rocket version. I bet the inside info would be great, we also need to send out some red rowdy girls to some of the elite un-married players in the league, we can get them lure them to us.. Imagine if we got our girls to fish and bait KG and now Kidd since he is free again.. then having our girls convince them to sign for the mininium.. it's a great plan!!

#12 Realjad, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  13. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

Couldn't we just doll up Andymoon with some makeup and a dress?

14. aamir

aamir Member

Great work The_Yoyo!

That was a bit surprising to hear that they were impressed with Novak, but I guess I can see where they were coming from. While Novak's shots weren't going down, he was putting himself in great position to shoot and when you are a great shooter like Novak, its only a matter of time before they start falling. I'm still highly unimpressed with every other aspect of his game though -- so I'd be surprised if they are seeing positives there.

I completely agree with them about Landry and Brooks though. Landry has not been anything near a Chuck Hayes with an offensive skill-set as Morey had hoped, but luckily he did show some flashes of legitimacy. Brooks was legit -- that is all.

15. Howry

Howry Member

"Aaron Brooks, Rockets: Nate Robinson may have taken home summer league MVP honors, but I thought Brooks was the best lead guard in Vegas. (Sorry, but third-year players are supposed to use and abuse rookies and quasi-pros in the summer league. I’m not impressed. Nate is still a TO waiting to happen.) I blogged about Brooks earlier in the week, but I just want to hammer home how good he’s going to be. Think TJ Ford with a jumper that’s dripping with butter."

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/players/kamla_070716.html

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Nice, YoYo!

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I seriously doubt that even Gheorghe Muresan would take me up on that.

18. Realjad

Awh come on, JVG loved your act in the Red Rowdy competition. I'm sure theres some nba'rs out there that would get attached to your act too... Maybe John Amechi knows a few.

Take one for the team man.. or two... or three ;)

19. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Now that is just sickening :)

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The _Yoyo's report also confirmed that Scola has signed a contract and Morey is confident that he will be coming this year.